Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
      The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
      visual comparision to Windows explorer.
      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
      a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
      of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 13, 2004
        melchior prisi wrote:

        > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
        >
        >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

        >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
        >
        > So let's hope!
        >
        > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
        > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
        >
        > H="FOLDDOC"
        > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
        > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
        > ;Don't use with clip code
        > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
        > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
        > ^!sethintinfo works
        > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
        > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
        > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
        > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
        > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
        >
        > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
        >
        > Regards,
        > Melchior

        Hi all,

        On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
        list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
        editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
        clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
        variables.

        Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
        think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
        would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
        'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

        Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
        to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
        the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
        just over 2 kbytes.

        I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
        what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
        volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
        file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
        was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

        I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
        different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
        please let me know, via the clips list.

        To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
        instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
        link for download is;

        http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

        hrs
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 15, 2004
          Hi Harvey,

          (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
          >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
          >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
          >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

          To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
          XML document in IE. Here's one:
          http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

          SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
          - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
          http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

          BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
          it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

          Lotta
        • lm_hamilton
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
            VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
            connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
            connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
            Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
            Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

            The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
            solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
            installed.

            If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
            solution.

            One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
            by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
            It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
            text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
            TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
            opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
            connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
            local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
            other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
            is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
            the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
            connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

            Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

            You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
            need it to be.

            Larry Hamilton

          • future.com@vsnl.com

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                : From: future.com@...
                :
                :
                : Hello Sir/Madam
                :
                : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                offers
                : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                ends.
                :
                : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                : for this task.
                :
                : Srish Agrawal
                :

                Srish,

                What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                Hth

                Jason
              • future.com@vsnl.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004

                • future.com@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                    Jason

                    I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                    Srish