Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
      The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
      visual comparision to Windows explorer.
      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
      a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
      of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
    • Mike Hopkins
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
        > what exactly is "Folding"?

        Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
        your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
        and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
        background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
        on the screen.

        Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

        This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
        etc., or when making comparisons.

        It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
        for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
        Windows-based applications.

        In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
        section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
        each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
        section visible. When you complete another section just fold
        it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
        code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

        The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
        a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
        when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
        folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

        HTH
        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike |AT| inav.net
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 13, 2004
          melchior prisi wrote:

          > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
          >
          >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

          >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
          >
          > So let's hope!
          >
          > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
          > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
          >
          > H="FOLDDOC"
          > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
          > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
          > ;Don't use with clip code
          > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
          > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
          > ^!sethintinfo works
          > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
          > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
          > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
          > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
          > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
          >
          > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
          >
          > Regards,
          > Melchior

          Hi all,

          On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
          list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
          editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
          clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
          variables.

          Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
          think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
          would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
          'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

          Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
          to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
          the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
          just over 2 kbytes.

          I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
          what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
          volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
          file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
          was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

          I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
          different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
          please let me know, via the clips list.

          To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
          instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
          link for download is;

          http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

          hrs
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 15, 2004
            Hi Harvey,

            (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
            >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
            >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
            >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

            To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
            XML document in IE. Here's one:
            http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

            SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
            - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
            http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

            BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
            it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

            Lotta
          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
              VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
              connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
              connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
              Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
              Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

              The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
              solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
              installed.

              If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
              solution.

              One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
              by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
              It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
              text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
              TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
              opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
              connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
              local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
              other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
              is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
              the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
              connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

              Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

              You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
              need it to be.

              Larry Hamilton

            • future.com@vsnl.com

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                  : From: future.com@...
                  :
                  :
                  : Hello Sir/Madam
                  :
                  : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                  offers
                  : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                  ends.
                  :
                  : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                  : for this task.
                  :
                  : Srish Agrawal
                  :

                  Srish,

                  What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                  determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                  Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                  haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                  Hth

                  Jason
                • future.com@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                    Hello Sir/Madam

                  • future.com@vsnl.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                      Jason

                      I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                      Srish