Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6 3:56 PM
      At 01:39 PM 7/6/04 -0700, you wrote:
      >what exactly is "Folding"?
      >
      >Jeff

      Folding refers to the tree type of display you have in Windows Explorer on
      the left side. You can scroll down the list of folders under the C:\ root
      directory and you come to C:\Program Files. You see a + beside it and you
      click on the + and it turns into a - and an indented list of the subfolders
      under it expands so that you can see them. If you click on the - , the
      folders collapse and the - is replaced by a + and the subfolders disappear
      - they fold up into the parent C:\Program Folder but they are still there.

      There is at least one text editor called Treepad that has this Explorer
      Tree style of folding notes for going from topic to topic. Currently
      NoteTab's outline files cannot do this. All topic headings are listed on
      the left side and you cannot create subheading which can be hidden in the
      fashion of Windows Explorer. Eric has said that he has this feature on his
      to do list for Version 5.0 when it comes out.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6 8:07 PM
        The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
        visual comparision to Windows explorer.
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
        a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
        of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
      • Mike Hopkins
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6 8:08 PM
          > what exactly is "Folding"?

          Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
          your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
          and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
          background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
          on the screen.

          Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

          This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
          etc., or when making comparisons.

          It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
          for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
          Windows-based applications.

          In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
          section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
          each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
          section visible. When you complete another section just fold
          it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
          code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

          The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
          a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
          when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
          folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

          HTH
          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike |AT| inav.net
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 13 8:11 PM
            melchior prisi wrote:

            > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
            >
            >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

            >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
            >
            > So let's hope!
            >
            > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
            > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
            >
            > H="FOLDDOC"
            > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
            > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
            > ;Don't use with clip code
            > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
            > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
            > ^!sethintinfo works
            > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
            > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
            > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
            > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
            > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
            >
            > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
            >
            > Regards,
            > Melchior

            Hi all,

            On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
            list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
            editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
            clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
            variables.

            Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
            think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
            would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
            'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

            Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
            to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
            the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
            just over 2 kbytes.

            I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
            what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
            volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
            file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
            was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

            I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
            different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
            please let me know, via the clips list.

            To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
            instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
            link for download is;

            http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

            hrs
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 15 12:59 AM
              Hi Harvey,

              (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
              >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
              >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
              >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

              To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
              XML document in IE. Here's one:
              http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

              SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
              - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
              http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

              BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
              it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

              Lotta
            • lm_hamilton
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
                VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
                connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
                connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
                Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
                Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

                The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
                solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
                installed.

                If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
                solution.

                One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
                by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
                It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
                text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
                TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
                opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
                connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
                local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
                other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
                is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
                the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
                connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

                Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

                You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
                need it to be.

                Larry Hamilton

              • future.com@vsnl.com

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                    : From: future.com@...
                    :
                    :
                    : Hello Sir/Madam
                    :
                    : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                    offers
                    : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                    ends.
                    :
                    : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                    : for this task.
                    :
                    : Srish Agrawal
                    :

                    Srish,

                    What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                    determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                    Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                    haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                    Hth

                    Jason
                  • future.com@vsnl.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004

                    • future.com@vsnl.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                        Jason

                        I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                        Srish