Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • melchior prisi
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6 1:51 PM
      Hi,

      ----- on 06.07.2004 22:39 jeff scism wrote:
      > what exactly is "Folding"?

      Jody explained it here (yesterday):

      > Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
      > speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
      > just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
      > for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

      Folding makes editing of large files more comfortable.

      Regards,
      Melchior

      --
      http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
      http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6 3:56 PM
        At 01:39 PM 7/6/04 -0700, you wrote:
        >what exactly is "Folding"?
        >
        >Jeff

        Folding refers to the tree type of display you have in Windows Explorer on
        the left side. You can scroll down the list of folders under the C:\ root
        directory and you come to C:\Program Files. You see a + beside it and you
        click on the + and it turns into a - and an indented list of the subfolders
        under it expands so that you can see them. If you click on the - , the
        folders collapse and the - is replaced by a + and the subfolders disappear
        - they fold up into the parent C:\Program Folder but they are still there.

        There is at least one text editor called Treepad that has this Explorer
        Tree style of folding notes for going from topic to topic. Currently
        NoteTab's outline files cannot do this. All topic headings are listed on
        the left side and you cannot create subheading which can be hidden in the
        fashion of Windows Explorer. Eric has said that he has this feature on his
        to do list for Version 5.0 when it comes out.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6 8:07 PM
          The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
          visual comparision to Windows explorer.
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
          a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
          of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
        • Mike Hopkins
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 6 8:08 PM
            > what exactly is "Folding"?

            Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
            your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
            and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
            background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
            on the screen.

            Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

            This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
            etc., or when making comparisons.

            It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
            for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
            Windows-based applications.

            In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
            section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
            each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
            section visible. When you complete another section just fold
            it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
            code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

            The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
            a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
            when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
            folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

            HTH
            Mike Hopkins
            ironmike |AT| inav.net
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 13 8:11 PM
              melchior prisi wrote:

              > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
              >
              >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

              >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
              >
              > So let's hope!
              >
              > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
              > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
              >
              > H="FOLDDOC"
              > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
              > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
              > ;Don't use with clip code
              > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
              > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
              > ^!sethintinfo works
              > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
              > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
              > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
              > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
              > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
              >
              > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
              >
              > Regards,
              > Melchior

              Hi all,

              On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
              list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
              editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
              clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
              variables.

              Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
              think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
              would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
              'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

              Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
              to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
              the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
              just over 2 kbytes.

              I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
              what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
              volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
              file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
              was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

              I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
              different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
              please let me know, via the clips list.

              To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
              instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
              link for download is;

              http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

              hrs
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 15 12:59 AM
                Hi Harvey,

                (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
                >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
                >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
                >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

                To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
                XML document in IE. Here's one:
                http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

                SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
                - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
                http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

                BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
                it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

                Lotta
              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
                  VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
                  connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
                  connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
                  Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
                  Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

                  The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
                  solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
                  installed.

                  If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
                  solution.

                  One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
                  by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
                  It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
                  text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
                  TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
                  opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
                  connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
                  local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
                  other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
                  is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
                  the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
                  connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

                  Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

                  You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
                  need it to be.

                  Larry Hamilton

                • future.com@vsnl.com

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                      : From: future.com@...
                      :
                      :
                      : Hello Sir/Madam
                      :
                      : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                      offers
                      : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                      ends.
                      :
                      : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                      : for this task.
                      :
                      : Srish Agrawal
                      :

                      Srish,

                      What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                      determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                      Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                      haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                      Hth

                      Jason
                    • future.com@vsnl.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                        Hello Sir/Madam

                      • future.com@vsnl.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                          Jason

                          I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                          Srish