Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • melchior prisi
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
      ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
      > Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.
      >
      >>> Second that. The bliss of folding!
      >>By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?

      So let's hope!

      While waiting I wrote the following clip.

      It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...

      H="FOLDDOC"
      ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
      ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
      ;Don't use with clip code
      ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
      ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
      ^!sethintinfo works
      ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
      ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
      ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
      ^!setinifile ^%ini%
      ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
      ^!select bol
      ^!select eol
      ^!inc %no%
      ^!if ^$strsize(^$getvalue(^%no%)$)$ > 0 next else skip_1
      ^!goto skip_-2
      ^!savevalue ^%no%=^$getselection$
      ^!insert <y+^%no%+y>
      ^!setinifile
      ^!goto exit
      :expand
      ^!select htmltag
      ^!setlistdelimiter +
      ^!setarray %no%=^$getselection$
      ^!set %no%=^%no2%
      ^!insert ^$getvalue(^%no%)$
      ^!setinifile
      ;----- /clip

      Regards,
      Melchior

      --
      http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
      http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
        what exactly is "Folding"?

        Jeff
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
          Hi,

          ----- on 06.07.2004 22:39 jeff scism wrote:
          > what exactly is "Folding"?

          Jody explained it here (yesterday):

          > Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
          > speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
          > just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
          > for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

          Folding makes editing of large files more comfortable.

          Regards,
          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
            At 01:39 PM 7/6/04 -0700, you wrote:
            >what exactly is "Folding"?
            >
            >Jeff

            Folding refers to the tree type of display you have in Windows Explorer on
            the left side. You can scroll down the list of folders under the C:\ root
            directory and you come to C:\Program Files. You see a + beside it and you
            click on the + and it turns into a - and an indented list of the subfolders
            under it expands so that you can see them. If you click on the - , the
            folders collapse and the - is replaced by a + and the subfolders disappear
            - they fold up into the parent C:\Program Folder but they are still there.

            There is at least one text editor called Treepad that has this Explorer
            Tree style of folding notes for going from topic to topic. Currently
            NoteTab's outline files cannot do this. All topic headings are listed on
            the left side and you cannot create subheading which can be hidden in the
            fashion of Windows Explorer. Eric has said that he has this feature on his
            to do list for Version 5.0 when it comes out.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
              The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
              visual comparision to Windows explorer.
              --
              ~~

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
              a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
              of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
            • Mike Hopkins
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                > what exactly is "Folding"?

                Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
                your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
                and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
                background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
                on the screen.

                Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

                This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
                etc., or when making comparisons.

                It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
                for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
                Windows-based applications.

                In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
                section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
                each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
                section visible. When you complete another section just fold
                it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
                code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

                The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
                a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
                when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
                folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

                HTH
                Mike Hopkins
                ironmike |AT| inav.net
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 13, 2004
                  melchior prisi wrote:

                  > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
                  >
                  >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

                  >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
                  >
                  > So let's hope!
                  >
                  > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
                  > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
                  >
                  > H="FOLDDOC"
                  > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
                  > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
                  > ;Don't use with clip code
                  > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
                  > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
                  > ^!sethintinfo works
                  > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
                  > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
                  > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
                  > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
                  > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
                  >
                  > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Melchior

                  Hi all,

                  On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
                  list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
                  editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
                  clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
                  variables.

                  Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
                  think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
                  would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
                  'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

                  Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
                  to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
                  the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
                  just over 2 kbytes.

                  I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
                  what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
                  volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
                  file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
                  was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

                  I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
                  different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
                  please let me know, via the clips list.

                  To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
                  instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
                  link for download is;

                  http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

                  hrs
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 15, 2004
                    Hi Harvey,

                    (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
                    >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
                    >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
                    >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

                    To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
                    XML document in IE. Here's one:
                    http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

                    SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
                    - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
                    http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

                    BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
                    it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

                    Lotta
                  • lm_hamilton
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
                      VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
                      connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
                      connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
                      Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
                      Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

                      The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
                      solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
                      installed.

                      If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
                      solution.

                      One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
                      by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
                      It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
                      text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
                      TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
                      opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
                      connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
                      local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
                      other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
                      is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
                      the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
                      connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

                      Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

                      You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
                      need it to be.

                      Larry Hamilton

                    • future.com@vsnl.com

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                          : From: future.com@...
                          :
                          :
                          : Hello Sir/Madam
                          :
                          : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                          offers
                          : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                          ends.
                          :
                          : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                          : for this task.
                          :
                          : Srish Agrawal
                          :

                          Srish,

                          What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                          determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                          Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                          haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                          Hth

                          Jason
                        • future.com@vsnl.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                            Hello Sir/Madam

                          • future.com@vsnl.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                              Jason

                              I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                              Srish