Re: PHP Editor

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
      > Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
      > Ed

      Hi Ed,

      from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
      for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.

      I found it helpful to become a little familiar with it's options
      handling / setup (which is mainly done using plain text files, esp of
      interest may SciteUser.properties) and with the flat but comprehensive
      HTML-documentation that describes almost all of the setup options in
      detail. (If the SciTE HELP topic from the Help menu doesn't work for you
      there is probably just a configuration problem in one of the properties
      files ;) -- simply go to your SciTE's install directory and open
      SciTEDoc.html from the help subdir there).

      Below I'll add some lines from my SciTEUser.properties as well as a
      clip that I use to "transparently" highlight files from NoteTab using
      SciTE by "overlaying" the NoteTab window.

      Since almost any of SciTE's properties can be set directly from it's
      command line there may be a lot more of configuration to "transparently"
      switch over (e.g. font settings, tab settings ...) -- if any needed at
      all ;)

      Regards
      Stefan

      --- SNIP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---
      # This should invoke SciTE help as expected
      command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\help\SciTEDoc.html"

      # Font / Define useful fonts and set monospaced as the default
      font.base=font:Verdana,size:9
      font.monospace=font:Courier New,size:9
      use.monospaced=1

      # Long Lines Indication / Show a right margin hint
      edge.mode=1
      edge.column=80
      edge.colour=#0000ff

      # Tab Settings / Useful for me however coding styles may differ
      tabsize=4
      indent.size=4
      use.tabs=0
      tab.indents=1
      backspace.unindents=1

      # Run only one instance?
      # check.if.already.open=1

      # NOTE:
      # With the above commented out:
      # Still if you open a file from within an existing SciTE instance
      # it is opened _whithin_ that instance (given 'buffers' is set > 1
      # (see below)). Same is true for dragging a file onto an instance.
      # However if you use the Explorer context menu entry
      # or a commandline, a new SciTE is opened. This is probably the most
      # useful configuration...

      # Window Sizes and Visibility
      # Let left and top to random but define width and height...
      position.left=
      position.top=

      position.width=510
      position.height=368

      # Buffer Handling
      # These settings make a tabbed interface but only when more than
      # file is open. Max 9 files are open same time. Each more closes the
      # most oldest existing.
      buffers=9
      tabbar.visible=1
      tabbar.hide.one=1
      tabbar.multiline=1

      # PHP Syntax Highlighting
      # The default one has too much italics (IMHO). So here is my
      # adapted version
      #
      # PHP
      style.hypertext.118=fore:#000033,back:#FFF8F8,eolfilled
      # Double quoted String
      style.hypertext.119=fore:#007F00,back:#FFF8F8
      # Single quoted string
      style.hypertext.120=fore:#009F00,back:#FFF8F8
      # Keyword
      #style.hypertext.121=fore:#7F007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
      style.hypertext.121=fore:#7F007F,bold,back:#FFF8F8
      # Number
      style.hypertext.122=fore:#CC9900,back:#FFF8F8
      # Variable
      #style.hypertext.123=fore:#00007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
      style.hypertext.123=fore:#00007F,back:#FFF8F8
      # Comment
      style.hypertext.124=fore:#999999,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
      #style.hypertext.124=fore:#ff0000,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
      # One line comment
      #style.hypertext.125=fore:#666666,italics,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
      style.hypertext.125=fore:#ff0000,italics,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
      # PHP variable in double quoted string
      style.hypertext.126=fore:#00007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
      # PHP operator
      style.hypertext.127=fore:#000000,back:#FFF8F8
      --- SNAP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---

      --- SNIP | SciTE overlay Clip ---
      ;SciTE overlay -- Open a SciTE with NoteTabs current doc
      ^!setDebug On

      ; Path to the SciTE executable
      ^!set %sciteExe%=\your\path\to\scite.exe

      ; Save current settings to get them
      ^!ProgIniSave

      ; Get window position settings
      ^!set %w%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Width)$
      ^!set %h%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Height)$
      ^!set %l%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Left)$
      ^!set %t%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Top)$

      ; If you like (I found it rather irritating most the time):
      ; Let the NoteTab window title bar "shine through"
      ; Move top:
      ;^!set %t%=^$calc(^%t% + 25)$
      ; Adapt height:
      ;^!set %h%=^$calc(^%h% - 25)$

      ; To open SciTE on appr. the same portion of the file as currently
      ; seen in NoteTab:
      ^!set %currLn%=^$getRow$
      ; Note that this works not very good since SciTE seems to tend to
      ; position the currLine given by '-goto:' always near the bottom
      ; of screen, at least in my installation

      ; Now call SciTE with all that options and the current doc
      ; Note: It's essential to call the '-goto:' part _after_
      ; the document-to-open part, just as shown in this example.
      ; See the SciTE doc for more.
      ; THE NEXT ONE is all ONE LINE
      ^!shell ^%sciteExe% -position.top=^%t% -position.left=^%l% -
      position.width=^%w% -position.height=^%h% ^** -goto:^%currLn%
      --- SNAP | SciTE overlay Clip ---

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
        Stefan Elssner wrote:

        >>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
        >>Ed
        >>

        >Hi Ed,
        >
        > from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
        >for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.
        >
        >I found it helpful to become a little familiar with it's options
        >handling / setup (which is mainly done using plain text files, esp of
        >interest may SciteUser.properties) and with the flat but comprehensive
        >HTML-documentation that describes almost all of the setup options in
        >detail. (If the SciTE HELP topic from the Help menu doesn't work for you
        >there is probably just a configuration problem in one of the properties
        >files ;) -- simply go to your SciTE's install directory and open
        >SciTEDoc.html from the help subdir there).
        >
        >Below I'll add some lines from my SciTEUser.properties as well as a
        >clip that I use to "transparently" highlight files from NoteTab using
        >SciTE by "overlaying" the NoteTab window.
        >
        >Since almost any of SciTE's properties can be set directly from it's
        >command line there may be a lot more of configuration to "transparently"
        >switch over (e.g. font settings, tab settings ...) -- if any needed at
        >all ;)
        >
        >Regards
        >Stefan
        >
        >--- SNIP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---
        ># This should invoke SciTE help as expected
        >command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\help\SciTEDoc.html"
        >
        ># Font / Define useful fonts and set monospaced as the default
        >font.base=font:Verdana,size:9
        >font.monospace=font:Courier New,size:9
        >use.monospaced=1
        >
        ># Long Lines Indication / Show a right margin hint
        >edge.mode=1
        >edge.column=80
        >edge.colour=#0000ff

        clip-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
        Thanks, I will see if I can open it from my download files and check it
        out.
        Ed
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
          Hi All,

          Please remember to delete text that is not needed to understand
          your reply and if you must say thanks ;) please delete the text
          not needed and reply at the top of the message. That makes it so
          we don't have to scroll all the way down the message to read
          "thanks." Thanks!

          >>>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?

          Thanks!

          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          See ya in the funnies!

          http://www.sojourner.us/software
          purewords.org, notetab.net, fookes.us

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

            >> >By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
            >>
            >I am not too bright, would you kindly explain what is meant by "folding" ?

            Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
            speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
            just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
            for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

            See ya in the funnies,
            Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

            http://www.clean-funnies.com
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
              Stefan Elssner wrote:

              >>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
              >>Ed
              >

              > Hi Ed,
              >
              > from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
              > for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.

              http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
              does look good
            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
                > Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.
                >
                >>> Second that. The bliss of folding!
                >>By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?

                So let's hope!

                While waiting I wrote the following clip.

                It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...

                H="FOLDDOC"
                ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
                ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
                ;Don't use with clip code
                ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
                ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
                ^!sethintinfo works
                ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
                ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
                ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
                ^!setinifile ^%ini%
                ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
                ^!select bol
                ^!select eol
                ^!inc %no%
                ^!if ^$strsize(^$getvalue(^%no%)$)$ > 0 next else skip_1
                ^!goto skip_-2
                ^!savevalue ^%no%=^$getselection$
                ^!insert <y+^%no%+y>
                ^!setinifile
                ^!goto exit
                :expand
                ^!select htmltag
                ^!setlistdelimiter +
                ^!setarray %no%=^$getselection$
                ^!set %no%=^%no2%
                ^!insert ^$getvalue(^%no%)$
                ^!setinifile
                ;----- /clip

                Regards,
                Melchior

                --
                http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                  what exactly is "Folding"?

                  Jeff
                • melchior prisi
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                    Hi,

                    ----- on 06.07.2004 22:39 jeff scism wrote:
                    > what exactly is "Folding"?

                    Jody explained it here (yesterday):

                    > Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
                    > speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
                    > just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
                    > for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

                    Folding makes editing of large files more comfortable.

                    Regards,
                    Melchior

                    --
                    http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                    http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                      At 01:39 PM 7/6/04 -0700, you wrote:
                      >what exactly is "Folding"?
                      >
                      >Jeff

                      Folding refers to the tree type of display you have in Windows Explorer on
                      the left side. You can scroll down the list of folders under the C:\ root
                      directory and you come to C:\Program Files. You see a + beside it and you
                      click on the + and it turns into a - and an indented list of the subfolders
                      under it expands so that you can see them. If you click on the - , the
                      folders collapse and the - is replaced by a + and the subfolders disappear
                      - they fold up into the parent C:\Program Folder but they are still there.

                      There is at least one text editor called Treepad that has this Explorer
                      Tree style of folding notes for going from topic to topic. Currently
                      NoteTab's outline files cannot do this. All topic headings are listed on
                      the left side and you cannot create subheading which can be hidden in the
                      fashion of Windows Explorer. Eric has said that he has this feature on his
                      to do list for Version 5.0 when it comes out.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      lrt@... e¿ê
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                        The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
                        visual comparision to Windows explorer.
                        --
                        ~~

                        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                        Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
                        a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
                        of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
                      • Mike Hopkins
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                          > what exactly is "Folding"?

                          Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
                          your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
                          and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
                          background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
                          on the screen.

                          Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

                          This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
                          etc., or when making comparisons.

                          It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
                          for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
                          Windows-based applications.

                          In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
                          section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
                          each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
                          section visible. When you complete another section just fold
                          it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
                          code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

                          The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
                          a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
                          when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
                          folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

                          HTH
                          Mike Hopkins
                          ironmike |AT| inav.net
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 13, 2004
                            melchior prisi wrote:

                            > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
                            >
                            >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

                            >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
                            >
                            > So let's hope!
                            >
                            > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
                            > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
                            >
                            > H="FOLDDOC"
                            > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
                            > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
                            > ;Don't use with clip code
                            > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
                            > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
                            > ^!sethintinfo works
                            > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
                            > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
                            > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
                            > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
                            > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
                            >
                            > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Melchior

                            Hi all,

                            On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
                            list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
                            editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
                            clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
                            variables.

                            Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
                            think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
                            would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
                            'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

                            Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
                            to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
                            the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
                            just over 2 kbytes.

                            I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
                            what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
                            volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
                            file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
                            was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

                            I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
                            different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
                            please let me know, via the clips list.

                            To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
                            instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
                            link for download is;

                            http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

                            hrs
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 15, 2004
                              Hi Harvey,

                              (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
                              >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
                              >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
                              >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

                              To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
                              XML document in IE. Here's one:
                              http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

                              SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
                              - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
                              http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

                              BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
                              it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

                              Lotta
                            • lm_hamilton
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
                                VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
                                connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
                                connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
                                Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
                                Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

                                The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
                                solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
                                installed.

                                If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
                                solution.

                                One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
                                by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
                                It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
                                text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
                                TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
                                opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
                                connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
                                local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
                                other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
                                is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
                                the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
                                connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

                                Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

                                You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
                                need it to be.

                                Larry Hamilton

                              • future.com@vsnl.com

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                                    : From: future.com@...
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : Hello Sir/Madam
                                    :
                                    : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                                    offers
                                    : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                                    ends.
                                    :
                                    : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                                    : for this task.
                                    :
                                    : Srish Agrawal
                                    :

                                    Srish,

                                    What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                                    determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                                    Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                                    haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                                    Hth

                                    Jason
                                  • future.com@vsnl.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                                      Hello Sir/Madam

                                    • future.com@vsnl.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                                        Jason

                                        I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                                        Srish