Re: [NTO] Re: PHP Editor

  • future.com@vsnl.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
      Also give a try to SciTE. I am sure it will suite your fancy. This is my
      favorite for PHP coding. Loaded with features and free.

      S K Agrawal
      ___________________

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
        future.com@... wrote:
        >Also give a try to SciTE. I am sure it will suite your fancy. This is my
        >favorite for PHP coding. Loaded with features and free.

        Second that. The bliss of folding! I've used it beside Notetab a couple of
        years now. Not as much as I would like to though. I'm not a person that
        switches between programs easily. Change the highlight color and I get
        confused. :-o

        Lotta
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
          Hi,

          ----- on 05.07.2004 17:57 loro wrote:
          > Second that. The bliss of folding!

          By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?

          Regards,
          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
            Hi Melchior,

            Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

            >> Second that. The bliss of folding!
            >By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?

            Happy Days,
            Jody

            Get the best software in the universe!
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
            Sojourners 5-Wink Software: only the best!
            http://www.sojourner.us/software
            See ya in the funnies
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
              Jody wrote:

              > Hi Melchior,
              >
              > Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.
              >
              > >> Second that. The bliss of folding!
              > >By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
              >

              > Happy Days,
              > Jody
              >
              > Get the best software in the universe!
              > http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
              > Sojourners 5-Wink Software: only the best!
              > http://www.sojourner.us/software
              > See ya in the funnies
              > http://www.clean-funnies.com
              >

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > click here
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129b3p1im/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1089137370/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

              I am not too bright, would you kindly explain what is meant by "folding" ?
              Ed
            • Stefan Elssner
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
                > Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
                > Ed

                Hi Ed,

                from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
                for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.

                I found it helpful to become a little familiar with it's options
                handling / setup (which is mainly done using plain text files, esp of
                interest may SciteUser.properties) and with the flat but comprehensive
                HTML-documentation that describes almost all of the setup options in
                detail. (If the SciTE HELP topic from the Help menu doesn't work for you
                there is probably just a configuration problem in one of the properties
                files ;) -- simply go to your SciTE's install directory and open
                SciTEDoc.html from the help subdir there).

                Below I'll add some lines from my SciTEUser.properties as well as a
                clip that I use to "transparently" highlight files from NoteTab using
                SciTE by "overlaying" the NoteTab window.

                Since almost any of SciTE's properties can be set directly from it's
                command line there may be a lot more of configuration to "transparently"
                switch over (e.g. font settings, tab settings ...) -- if any needed at
                all ;)

                Regards
                Stefan

                --- SNIP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---
                # This should invoke SciTE help as expected
                command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\help\SciTEDoc.html"

                # Font / Define useful fonts and set monospaced as the default
                font.base=font:Verdana,size:9
                font.monospace=font:Courier New,size:9
                use.monospaced=1

                # Long Lines Indication / Show a right margin hint
                edge.mode=1
                edge.column=80
                edge.colour=#0000ff

                # Tab Settings / Useful for me however coding styles may differ
                tabsize=4
                indent.size=4
                use.tabs=0
                tab.indents=1
                backspace.unindents=1

                # Run only one instance?
                # check.if.already.open=1

                # NOTE:
                # With the above commented out:
                # Still if you open a file from within an existing SciTE instance
                # it is opened _whithin_ that instance (given 'buffers' is set > 1
                # (see below)). Same is true for dragging a file onto an instance.
                # However if you use the Explorer context menu entry
                # or a commandline, a new SciTE is opened. This is probably the most
                # useful configuration...

                # Window Sizes and Visibility
                # Let left and top to random but define width and height...
                position.left=
                position.top=

                position.width=510
                position.height=368

                # Buffer Handling
                # These settings make a tabbed interface but only when more than
                # file is open. Max 9 files are open same time. Each more closes the
                # most oldest existing.
                buffers=9
                tabbar.visible=1
                tabbar.hide.one=1
                tabbar.multiline=1

                # PHP Syntax Highlighting
                # The default one has too much italics (IMHO). So here is my
                # adapted version
                #
                # PHP
                style.hypertext.118=fore:#000033,back:#FFF8F8,eolfilled
                # Double quoted String
                style.hypertext.119=fore:#007F00,back:#FFF8F8
                # Single quoted string
                style.hypertext.120=fore:#009F00,back:#FFF8F8
                # Keyword
                #style.hypertext.121=fore:#7F007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
                style.hypertext.121=fore:#7F007F,bold,back:#FFF8F8
                # Number
                style.hypertext.122=fore:#CC9900,back:#FFF8F8
                # Variable
                #style.hypertext.123=fore:#00007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
                style.hypertext.123=fore:#00007F,back:#FFF8F8
                # Comment
                style.hypertext.124=fore:#999999,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
                #style.hypertext.124=fore:#ff0000,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
                # One line comment
                #style.hypertext.125=fore:#666666,italics,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
                style.hypertext.125=fore:#ff0000,italics,$(font.comment),back:#FFF8F8
                # PHP variable in double quoted string
                style.hypertext.126=fore:#00007F,italics,back:#FFF8F8
                # PHP operator
                style.hypertext.127=fore:#000000,back:#FFF8F8
                --- SNAP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---

                --- SNIP | SciTE overlay Clip ---
                ;SciTE overlay -- Open a SciTE with NoteTabs current doc
                ^!setDebug On

                ; Path to the SciTE executable
                ^!set %sciteExe%=\your\path\to\scite.exe

                ; Save current settings to get them
                ^!ProgIniSave

                ; Get window position settings
                ^!set %w%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Width)$
                ^!set %h%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Height)$
                ^!set %l%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Left)$
                ^!set %t%=^$getValue(RestoreWindows:TEFO_FrmNotepad_Top)$

                ; If you like (I found it rather irritating most the time):
                ; Let the NoteTab window title bar "shine through"
                ; Move top:
                ;^!set %t%=^$calc(^%t% + 25)$
                ; Adapt height:
                ;^!set %h%=^$calc(^%h% - 25)$

                ; To open SciTE on appr. the same portion of the file as currently
                ; seen in NoteTab:
                ^!set %currLn%=^$getRow$
                ; Note that this works not very good since SciTE seems to tend to
                ; position the currLine given by '-goto:' always near the bottom
                ; of screen, at least in my installation

                ; Now call SciTE with all that options and the current doc
                ; Note: It's essential to call the '-goto:' part _after_
                ; the document-to-open part, just as shown in this example.
                ; See the SciTE doc for more.
                ; THE NEXT ONE is all ONE LINE
                ^!shell ^%sciteExe% -position.top=^%t% -position.left=^%l% -
                position.width=^%w% -position.height=^%h% ^** -goto:^%currLn%
                --- SNAP | SciTE overlay Clip ---

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
                  Stefan Elssner wrote:

                  >>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
                  >>Ed
                  >>

                  >Hi Ed,
                  >
                  > from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
                  >for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.
                  >
                  >I found it helpful to become a little familiar with it's options
                  >handling / setup (which is mainly done using plain text files, esp of
                  >interest may SciteUser.properties) and with the flat but comprehensive
                  >HTML-documentation that describes almost all of the setup options in
                  >detail. (If the SciTE HELP topic from the Help menu doesn't work for you
                  >there is probably just a configuration problem in one of the properties
                  >files ;) -- simply go to your SciTE's install directory and open
                  >SciTEDoc.html from the help subdir there).
                  >
                  >Below I'll add some lines from my SciTEUser.properties as well as a
                  >clip that I use to "transparently" highlight files from NoteTab using
                  >SciTE by "overlaying" the NoteTab window.
                  >
                  >Since almost any of SciTE's properties can be set directly from it's
                  >command line there may be a lot more of configuration to "transparently"
                  >switch over (e.g. font settings, tab settings ...) -- if any needed at
                  >all ;)
                  >
                  >Regards
                  >Stefan
                  >
                  >--- SNIP | settings from SciTEUser.properties ---
                  ># This should invoke SciTE help as expected
                  >command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\help\SciTEDoc.html"
                  >
                  ># Font / Define useful fonts and set monospaced as the default
                  >font.base=font:Verdana,size:9
                  >font.monospace=font:Courier New,size:9
                  >use.monospaced=1
                  >
                  ># Long Lines Indication / Show a right margin hint
                  >edge.mode=1
                  >edge.column=80
                  >edge.colour=#0000ff

                  clip-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
                  Thanks, I will see if I can open it from my download files and check it
                  out.
                  Ed
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
                    Hi All,

                    Please remember to delete text that is not needed to understand
                    your reply and if you must say thanks ;) please delete the text
                    not needed and reply at the top of the message. That makes it so
                    we don't have to scroll all the way down the message to read
                    "thanks." Thanks!

                    >>>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?

                    Thanks!

                    http://www.clean-funnies.com
                    See ya in the funnies!

                    http://www.sojourner.us/software
                    purewords.org, notetab.net, fookes.us

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
                      Hi Ed,

                      >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

                      >> >By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
                      >>
                      >I am not too bright, would you kindly explain what is meant by "folding" ?

                      Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
                      speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
                      just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
                      for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

                      See ya in the funnies,
                      Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com
                    • Don - htmlfixit.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 5, 2004
                        Stefan Elssner wrote:

                        >>Can NTB Pro be used as a PHP editor?
                        >>Ed
                        >

                        > Hi Ed,
                        >
                        > from my experience too SciTE gives a really good companion to NoteTab
                        > for syntax highlighting of PHP and (lots of) other languages.

                        http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
                        does look good
                      • melchior prisi
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                          ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
                          > Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.
                          >
                          >>> Second that. The bliss of folding!
                          >>By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?

                          So let's hope!

                          While waiting I wrote the following clip.

                          It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...

                          H="FOLDDOC"
                          ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
                          ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
                          ;Don't use with clip code
                          ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
                          ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
                          ^!sethintinfo works
                          ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
                          ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
                          ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
                          ^!setinifile ^%ini%
                          ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
                          ^!select bol
                          ^!select eol
                          ^!inc %no%
                          ^!if ^$strsize(^$getvalue(^%no%)$)$ > 0 next else skip_1
                          ^!goto skip_-2
                          ^!savevalue ^%no%=^$getselection$
                          ^!insert <y+^%no%+y>
                          ^!setinifile
                          ^!goto exit
                          :expand
                          ^!select htmltag
                          ^!setlistdelimiter +
                          ^!setarray %no%=^$getselection$
                          ^!set %no%=^%no2%
                          ^!insert ^$getvalue(^%no%)$
                          ^!setinifile
                          ;----- /clip

                          Regards,
                          Melchior

                          --
                          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                            what exactly is "Folding"?

                            Jeff
                          • melchior prisi
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                              Hi,

                              ----- on 06.07.2004 22:39 jeff scism wrote:
                              > what exactly is "Folding"?

                              Jody explained it here (yesterday):

                              > Normally I see it used meaning that you can like hide text so to
                              > speak. In say regular HTML you might fold up the heading so that
                              > just <html> is seen until the body part of the coding. It makes
                              > for less scrolling therefore faster editing.

                              Folding makes editing of large files more comfortable.

                              Regards,
                              Melchior

                              --
                              http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                              http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                                At 01:39 PM 7/6/04 -0700, you wrote:
                                >what exactly is "Folding"?
                                >
                                >Jeff

                                Folding refers to the tree type of display you have in Windows Explorer on
                                the left side. You can scroll down the list of folders under the C:\ root
                                directory and you come to C:\Program Files. You see a + beside it and you
                                click on the + and it turns into a - and an indented list of the subfolders
                                under it expands so that you can see them. If you click on the - , the
                                folders collapse and the - is replaced by a + and the subfolders disappear
                                - they fold up into the parent C:\Program Folder but they are still there.

                                There is at least one text editor called Treepad that has this Explorer
                                Tree style of folding notes for going from topic to topic. Currently
                                NoteTab's outline files cannot do this. All topic headings are listed on
                                the left side and you cannot create subheading which can be hidden in the
                                fashion of Windows Explorer. Eric has said that he has this feature on his
                                to do list for Version 5.0 when it comes out.

                                Regards,

                                Larry
                                lrt@... e¿ê
                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                                  The last two explanations of "folding" helped a lot, especially the
                                  visual comparision to Windows explorer.
                                  --
                                  ~~

                                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                                  Genealogy is the art convincing public officials that you need to have
                                  a document to determine IF you are a descendant, and if you had Proof
                                  of descendancy, you wouldn't NEED the document.
                                • Mike Hopkins
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 6, 2004
                                    > what exactly is "Folding"?

                                    Folding is like putting variable-width accordian pleats in
                                    your text -- similar to a chinese lantern. Collapse the fold
                                    and part of the text disappears. It is still there, in the
                                    background hidden in the folding buffer, but it is not shown
                                    on the screen.

                                    Unfold the section and it reappears on the screen.

                                    This feature is very handy when editing long pages of code,
                                    etc., or when making comparisons.

                                    It has been a standard part of several DOS and *NIX editors
                                    for several years but is just recenly becoming populsr in
                                    Windows-based applications.

                                    In HTML, you could fold/collapse your completed HEAD
                                    section, your FOOTER section and that completed logo/header
                                    each in its own fold and have only the remaining BODY
                                    section visible. When you complete another section just fold
                                    it out of sight. If you need to view a hidden section of
                                    code just unfold it and it reappears in place.

                                    The folding/unfolding is usually accomplished by clicking on
                                    a mark in the left-hand gutter. The mark is usually a line
                                    when the section is unfolded and a mark (*<{<#), etc., when
                                    folded. Nested folds are not uncommon.

                                    HTH
                                    Mike Hopkins
                                    ironmike |AT| inav.net
                                  • hsavage
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 13, 2004
                                      melchior prisi wrote:

                                      > ----- on 05.07.2004 20:09 Jody wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Yes, it is, but I cannot say what the likelihood is of it being added.

                                      >>> By the way: Is folding on the wishlist for NoteTab 5?
                                      >
                                      > So let's hope!
                                      >
                                      > While waiting I wrote the following clip.
                                      > It's not really tested - so use at your own risk...
                                      >
                                      > H="FOLDDOC"
                                      > ;COLLAPSE: Select lines, run clip option COLLAPSE
                                      > ;EXPAND: Set cursor on mark (e.g. <+3+>), run clip option EXPAND
                                      > ;Don't use with clip code
                                      > ;Clip will create subdirectory "folds" in NoteTab's library folder
                                      > ;BACKUP YOUR FILES!
                                      > ^!sethintinfo works
                                      > ^!set %ini%=^$getlibrarypath$folds\^$getname(^##)$.ini; %no%=0
                                      > ^!iffileexist "^%ini%" skip_1
                                      > ^!texttofile "^%ini%" ^%nl%
                                      > ^!setinifile ^%ini%
                                      > ^!goto ^?{DO==COLLAPSE^=next|EXPAND}
                                      >
                                      > Some clip lines deleted for brevity
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Melchior

                                      Hi all,

                                      On July 6, the subject of FOLDING TEXT was talked about on the Off-Topic
                                      list. I had never used such a feature but can see the advantage when
                                      editing large text files and clips. The clip I built will also fold
                                      clips containing clip commands without expanding the functions and
                                      variables.

                                      Several of the posters thought is was a worthwhile feature, Lotta, I
                                      think, asked whether it would be part of NoteTab V5. Jody thought we
                                      would be very lucky if it were included. He also is a proponent of a
                                      'text folding' feature to aid in editing large text files.

                                      Melchior wrote the clip partially listed above generating an .ini file
                                      to store folded text, and it worked pretty well. The problem was with
                                      the ^!SaveValue command the largest byte-size chunk I could store was
                                      just over 2 kbytes.

                                      I used a little different system, ordinary text-files, and I don't know
                                      what the upper kbyte limit for each folding operation is, possibly the
                                      volume of the Windows clipboard. I successfully folded and restored a
                                      file in one fold that was 108,277 bytes in size. The entire 108 kbytes
                                      was replaced by a single 7 character marker like this, <--1-->.

                                      I have tested the clip quite a bit with multiple folds and unfolds in
                                      different sequences and don't see any errors. If you do have errors
                                      please let me know, via the clips list.

                                      To avoid problems with email I'll try to post the clip and some
                                      instructions as a zipfile in the files area of Yahoo. OK, success, the
                                      link for download is;

                                      http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sKH0QPslEVig8t3mR-SgMrhwkTFWj4kdUlOg5KOkf37T6sSjd1QMystpNkY6ElMIb9qMw1f93tWv-unuwbvvYIox9ritqg/folding%20text.zip

                                      hrs
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 15, 2004
                                        Hi Harvey,

                                        (This was on the Clip list but I know you are here to so...)
                                        >As stated, I've never used, or been exposed, to
                                        >text-folding. The clip is based entirely on reviewing your FoldDoc clip
                                        >and what I read on the Off-Topic list.

                                        To get a fairly good impression of how it works you can view an unstyled
                                        XML document in IE. Here's one:
                                        http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/index.xml

                                        SciTe's folding looks nicer of course - no pesky plus signs in the document
                                        - but it works much the same way as IE-styled XML.
                                        http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEImage.html

                                        BTW it wasn't I that asked about NTB 5 and folding but I was glad to hear
                                        it at least is on "the list". That would be über-cool!

                                        Lotta
                                      • lm_hamilton
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 21, 2004
                                          VPN means "Virtual Private Networking" and is a means of securely
                                          connecting between two PCs or two networks. At work, we use VPN to
                                          connect our remote offices and home workers to our corporate office.
                                          Many different companies have VPN solutions such as Citrix or Windows
                                          Terminal Services/Remote Desktop.

                                          The article about Remote Desktop is a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro
                                          solution, or Windows XP Pro to Windows 9x to 2k with remote desktop
                                          installed.

                                          If you need the ability to go both ways you will need a different
                                          solution.

                                          One free resource is called VNC and is Open Source Software developed
                                          by AT&T that allows PCs of a variety of Operating Systems to connect.
                                          It can control the other PC and transfer data via copy & pasting of
                                          text. There are several branches off of the original VNC, one -
                                          TightVNC on Sourceforge.net allows transfer of files between PC. An
                                          opening must be made in the receiving end of the firewall to make the
                                          connection. VNC is also useful for working with multiple PCs on your
                                          local network. For example, I can work on the server or a QA PC in the
                                          other room without having to leave my desk. The one caution with VNC
                                          is that it is not a super secure program and it stores passwords in
                                          the Windows registry, which is a big security risk if you use it to
                                          connect PCs/LANs across the Internet.

                                          Options such as pcAnywhere can do the same thing, but are more secure.

                                          You have to balance how much you want to spend verses how secure you
                                          need it to be.

                                          Larry Hamilton

                                        • future.com@vsnl.com

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004
                                              : From: future.com@...
                                              :
                                              :
                                              : Hello Sir/Madam
                                              :
                                              : I have WIN 2000 at both ends with DSL internet connection which
                                              offers
                                              : permanent IP address. That is to say I have permanent IP at both
                                              ends.
                                              :
                                              : Any solution?? If possible I would not like to use MS tools
                                              : for this task.
                                              :
                                              : Srish Agrawal
                                              :

                                              Srish,

                                              What exactly do you want to do once they're connected? That will
                                              determine whether you even need a VPN or not. Also are you using 2000
                                              Pro or Server? Server has almost everything you'd need built-in and I
                                              haven't seen many security holes in Routing & Remote Access.

                                              Hth

                                              Jason
                                            • future.com@vsnl.com
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 23, 2004

                                              • future.com@vsnl.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
                                                  Jason

                                                  I shall be satisfied with just file sharing between the two networks.

                                                  Srish