Re: [NTO] virus?

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 22, 2004
      >Ed,
      >
      >Will the computer boot to DOS?
      >
      >If so, one thing you might try, since you can't do much more damage than
      >is already done, is, boot to DOS, type at the C:\... prompt,
      >
      >format c: /mbr

      The correct command would be "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt to
      restore this. This is non-destructive to the operating system.

      >Mbr is, Main Boot Record.

      MBR is the "Master Boot Record"

      > It should clean all data, including any
      >virus, from the MBR allowing you to, at least, boot into Windows.

      From all that I have read so far (I would have replied earlier but was
      sick) I would proceed next by simply downloading one of the
      manufacturer's utilities to diagnose the drive. If it's a Maxtor, hit
      their web site and download their diagnostics disk. Same with Seagate
      or WD. This will help determine if the drive is bad and can even
      low-level format it back to factory specs, if need be. Please give this
      a shot and post back with your results.

      Brian
    • Brian Binder
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 22, 2004
        >Ed,
        >
        >Will the computer boot to DOS?
        >
        >If so, one thing you might try, since you can't do much more damage than
        >is already done, is, boot to DOS, type at the C:\... prompt,
        >
        >format c: /mbr

        The correct command would be "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt to
        restore this. This is non-destructive to the operating system.

        >Mbr is, Main Boot Record.

        MBR is the "Master Boot Record"

        > It should clean all data, including any
        >virus, from the MBR allowing you to, at least, boot into Windows.

        From all that I have read so far (I would have replied earlier but was