Re: hard drive or mobo

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2004
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Last thing I tried was to format the hard drive. I got a message
      that there
      > was a problem and the drive could not be formatted due to an error
      on the
      > drive. So, not yet content, I tried install a Windows 98. It said
      the
      > partition was too small and it need to repartition the drive to
      accept the
      > OS. I said OK. It started but in a few seconds I received this:
      > Formatting 6,196.91M.
      > \OOPs (my wording here) the machine said:
      >
      > Invalid media on drive or track 0 bad - disk unusable. Format
      terminated.

      > Looks like the end of the road as I have received this same message
      at least
      > twice before, and three times is a charm.. I do not know what to
      try other
      > than replacing the hard drive. If it is a virus (Invalid Media on
      drive) or
      > track 0 bad and the disk is unusable as I see it. Any further
      comments,
      > advice or other words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated here.
      > Thanks
      > Ed
      >
      > At first I thought it was love, then I thought it was
      money......but now
      > that I'm older, I realize that prune juice is the key to happiness.
      >
      > ~unknown

      FWIW in situations like yours Ed I never just format a hard drive. I
      always use FDISK first to delete all active partitions which
      effectively destroys everything on the disk. Then again with FDISK
      I'll create a new partition.

      After that and rebooting with the floppy boot disk, then I'll format
      c: /s

      If that fails, the HD gets replaced.

      It's rare, but I have seen situations where all indications are that
      a hard drive has failed, but replacing the hard drive doesn't resolve
      the problem. When it gets down to a problem on the motherboard,
      that's where I draw the line and scrap the machine.

      John