Re: [NTO] Re: virus?

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2004
      Did that and did that too. :-)
      Ed
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: John Zeman
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 4:49 PM
      Subject: [NTO] Re: virus?

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > My nephew brought me his computer over yesterday to see if I could
      fix it.
      > I think it must 1 or more viruses. It will not open past the
      Windows 98
      > Logo screen. How can I check this thing?
      > ED

      I don't know if this has been mentioned before Ed but did you run
      FDISK before you tried to reformat the hard drive? That's something
      I always do when I overhaul a computer that's been cluttered up with
      viruses, spyware, corrupt files, and who knows what else.

      To do that boot up the computer on a Windows 98 startup disk
      choosing "without CDROM support". At the command prompt type FDISK
      then delete all the partition(s). Next while still in FDISK create a
      new partition making it the active one. Then exit FDISK and reboot
      on the startup disk again (and again without CDROM support). At that
      time try typing

      format c: /s

      and see if it takes.

      If it won't then I'd suggest getting a bugle and playing taps.

      John

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor