E-Gads- 16.2 MILLION bytes in cache...

  • jeff scism
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
      My compiuter has been running slow and running out of resources within
      minutes of starting Netscape, I think I found the problem.

      Netscape sets its own Cache file and defaults to it, however the Windows
      Temporary Internet Files folder just keeps on storing every webpage, in
      whole, that you ever visit. and doesn't get emptied.

      The Windows Temp Folder has 87 files of webpages, over 1.4 GIGS, I am
      clearing it, and so far it is still emptying after 10 minutes...

      GEEZ.
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
        On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 07:52:13 -0700, jeff scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

        > My compiuter has been running slow and running out of resources within
        > minutes of starting Netscape, I think I found the problem.
        >
        > Netscape sets its own Cache file and defaults to it, however the Windows
        > Temporary Internet Files folder just keeps on storing every webpage, in
        > whole, that you ever visit. and doesn't get emptied.
        >
        > The Windows Temp Folder has 87 files of webpages, over 1.4 GIGS, I am
        > clearing it, and so far it is still emptying after 10 minutes...

        Are you on Win98se? I am and I ran into this late last year, suddenly
        the Temporary Internet Files folder stopped clearing itself and
        started saving every single email I opened, so after a couple months,
        it started taking *minutes* to open any email and I couldn't get
        defrag to run anymore, just kept restarting. Once I cleared out the
        temp folder, everything worked much better. I did eventually get it
        to stop saving emails there but now I can't remember what it was...I
        don't think it was OE related tho - it was something else.

        --
        alice ttlg

        Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
        http://alice.ttlg.net/

        It's off in the distance.
        It came into the room.
        It's here in the circle.
      • jeff scism
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
          Yep Win98SE, and since my kids use MSIE, and I use Netscape There is a
          conflict between where the temp cache is stored, Netscape empties the
          one it makes for itself, but copies everything to Windows Temporary
          internet.

          NOW I know, I can watch for it.
        • jaguwar@sumrallworks.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, jeff scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
            > My compiuter has been running slow and running out of resources within
            > minutes of starting Netscape, I think I found the problem.
            >
            > Netscape sets its own Cache file and defaults to it, however the
            Windows
            > Temporary Internet Files folder just keeps on storing every webpage, in
            > whole, that you ever visit. and doesn't get emptied.
            >
            > The Windows Temp Folder has 87 files of webpages, over 1.4 GIGS, I am
            > clearing it, and so far it is still emptying after 10 minutes...
            >
            > GEEZ.
            Netscape 7+ has a memory leak issue when run on Win98 SE. See
            http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2474 for discussion on this
            and other issues with Netsacpe. In fact, you may want to bookmark
            that site to keep up with Netscape/Mozilla info.

            Meantime, you may want to switch over to the highly stable and
            appreciated Firefox. I hear really good things about it.

            Michelle (Jag)
          • jeff scism
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
              Thanks I did the edit. Let's see if that helps

              Jeff

              user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096);