hard drive or mobo

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2004
      Hi all,
      Last thing I tried was to format the hard drive. I got a message that there
      was a problem and the drive could not be formatted due to an error on the
      drive. So, not yet content, I tried install a Windows 98. It said the
      partition was too small and it need to repartition the drive to accept the
      OS. I said OK. It started but in a few seconds I received this:
      Formatting 6,196.91M.
      \OOPs (my wording here) the machine said:

      Invalid media on drive or track 0 bad - disk unusable. Format terminated.

      Looks like the end of the road as I have received this same message at least
      twice before, and three times is a charm.. I do not know what to try other
      than replacing the hard drive. If it is a virus (Invalid Media on drive) or
      track 0 bad and the disk is unusable as I see it. Any further comments,
      advice or other words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated here.
      Thanks
      Ed

      At first I thought it was love, then I thought it was money......but now
      that I'm older, I realize that prune juice is the key to happiness.

      ~unknown
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2004
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Last thing I tried was to format the hard drive. I got a message
        that there
        > was a problem and the drive could not be formatted due to an error
        on the
        > drive. So, not yet content, I tried install a Windows 98. It said
        the
        > partition was too small and it need to repartition the drive to
        accept the
        > OS. I said OK. It started but in a few seconds I received this:
        > Formatting 6,196.91M.
        > \OOPs (my wording here) the machine said:
        >
        > Invalid media on drive or track 0 bad - disk unusable. Format
        terminated.

        > Looks like the end of the road as I have received this same message
        at least
        > twice before, and three times is a charm.. I do not know what to
        try other
        > than replacing the hard drive. If it is a virus (Invalid Media on
        drive) or
        > track 0 bad and the disk is unusable as I see it. Any further
        comments,
        > advice or other words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated here.
        > Thanks
        > Ed
        >
        > At first I thought it was love, then I thought it was
        money......but now
        > that I'm older, I realize that prune juice is the key to happiness.
        >
        > ~unknown

        FWIW in situations like yours Ed I never just format a hard drive. I
        always use FDISK first to delete all active partitions which
        effectively destroys everything on the disk. Then again with FDISK
        I'll create a new partition.

        After that and rebooting with the floppy boot disk, then I'll format
        c: /s

        If that fails, the HD gets replaced.

        It's rare, but I have seen situations where all indications are that
        a hard drive has failed, but replacing the hard drive doesn't resolve
        the problem. When it gets down to a problem on the motherboard,
        that's where I draw the line and scrap the machine.

        John