Re: [NTO] virus?

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 21, 2004
      This is not uncommon. Cancel scandisk BEFORE it gets a chance to start and then see if it'll go into safe mode.

      Dave S

      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 22, 2004
        >Will the computer boot to DOS?
        >If so, one thing you might try, since you can't do much more damage than
        >is already done, is, boot to DOS, type at the C:\... prompt,
        >format c: /mbr
        The correct command would be "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt to
        restore this. This is non-destructive to the operating system.

        >Mbr is, Main Boot Record.
        MBR is the "Master Boot Record"

        > It should clean all data, including any
        >virus, from the MBR allowing you to, at least, boot into Windows.
        From all that I have read so far (I would have replied earlier but was
        sick) I would proceed next by simply downloading one of the
        manufacturer's utilities to diagnose the drive. If it's a Maxtor, hit
        their web site and download their diagnostics disk. Same with Seagate
        or WD. This will help determine if the drive is bad and can even
        low-level format it back to factory specs, if need be. Please give this
        a shot and post back with your results.