Incessant e-mail

  • DA
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2000
      Hi All,

      Does anybody know how to stop e-mails like this? In spite of all
      the references to 1999, I just received this today. They have
      been coming to me periodically for almost a year now. I have
      sent replies requesting that they stop the e-mails to no avail.
      When I contacted Adam Stiles by phone he only wanted to sell me
      his browser and he seemed unconcerned that this message is
      constantly being sent to me.

      DA

      > From:
      > "null@..." <null@...>
      > To:
      > Dennis Aoki <ardensystems@...>
      > Subject:
      > AutoResponse
      > Date:
      > Sun, 15 Aug 1999 02:24:09 -0700
      > 00000000
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm sending you this email to let you know that I'm out of
      town on vacation and will
      > return August 24. I'm looking forward to a nice time to rest
      and relax with my
      > family. I may be able to check my email and get back to you
      before that time but I
      > can't promise anything.
      >
      > Please check our web site for answers to commonly asked
      questions and for information
      > about using NetCaptor.
      >
      > If you are a NetCaptor Pro user and are having problems
      downloading or installing the
      > product, please contact thomas@... for help.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Adam Stiles
      > NetCaptor.com
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2000
        Alle 06.13 Sunday 11/06/2000 -0700, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
        vvvvv inizio messaggio originale vvvvv

        >Does anybody know how to stop e-mails like this? In spite of all
        >the references to 1999, I just received this today. They have
        >been coming to me periodically for almost a year now. I have
        >sent replies requesting that they stop the e-mails to no avail.

        Hi Dennis!
        I see you're using Netscape mailer: it must have some type of filters.
        Send msgs from netcaptor.com and subject=Autoresponse to trash can.
        Sorry, my NS mailer was junked by NS 6 preview, so I can't be more precise.

        With Eudora 4.3 will be easy to re-send all these messages to
        support@......

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2000
          Hi DA,

          > Does anybody know how to stop e-mails like this? In spite of
          > all the references to 1999, I just received this today. They
          > have been coming to me periodically for almost a year now. I
          > have sent replies requesting that they stop the e-mails to no
          > avail.

          It looks to me like it is hosed up at ATT. It happens with some
          of my mail also. I think you can reach them at Abuse@....
          Make sure you send the whole header info and explain that you
          have been getting them periodically ever since the first one and
          you have not been writing to receive them. nite...

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
        • DA
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2000
            Hi Marco/Jody,

            Thanks for the hints. I was never aware of the filters in Netscape! I
            will try the abuse@att that Jody suggested then if that doesn't work,
            I'll do the filter thing.

            DA
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
              Hi DA,

              Seems like eGroups wants to keep sending them too. Are you sure it
              is not your eMail program playing games?

              >Does anybody know how to stop e-mails like this? In spite of all
              >the references to 1999, I just received this today.

              Happy NoteTab'n,
              Jody Adair

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
            • DA
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                Hi Jody,

                I sent a message to abuse@... and this is what I got back.

                "We are not able to respond personally to each message
                received, but wish to assure you that we investigate
                each and every abuse report we receive, and will take the
                appropriate action."

                Seems I'll never know if anything was done by ATT.

                I don't think my Netscape Communicator is causing the problem. Why would
                they put in a feature like this? Maybe as a reminder to pay your rent?
                I guess I shouldn't have deleted them - Then I would be able to see how
                regularly I received them. My memory is that they are irregularly
                received.

                Do you have any idea what the name of this feature (repeating messages)
                would be in Netscape, so I can look it up? I know I never intentionally
                setup anything like this, but Mr. Gates has succeeded in making
                computers so complex that almost anything is possible whether you want
                it or not. (Except someone else's software, of course.)

                I don't recall how these messages got started, except that I was looking
                into Netcaptor after hearing about it in a NoteTab e-groups message. If
                they are coming from e-groups, wouldn't there be something identifying
                e-groups as the source?

                Marco, did you say that if I use Eudora I can automatically send these
                messages back to them? It looks like I will have to implement one of
                your suggestions - Filters or Eudora. I'll have to go back through all
                the recent Eudora messages to see why so many people have started using
                it, and which version would suit my purposes best.

                DA

                Jody wrote:
                > Seems like eGroups wants to keep sending them too. Are you sure it is not your eMail program playing games?

              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                  Hi DA,

                  At 20:58 2000-06-12, you wrote:
                  >I'll have to go back through all
                  >the recent Eudora messages to see why so many people have started using
                  >it, and which version would suit my purposes best.

                  The sudden interest in Eudora is due to the recent virii attacks on Outlook.

                  Qualqomm has skipped Pro and Light. There is only one version now, but two
                  modes, paid and add ware. So far I understand, there is no differences in
                  features.

                  Keep a close eye on the mailboxes window. It tends to disappear...;)

                  Bye,

                  Lotta
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                    Lotta wrote:

                    (Eudora)
                    >Keep a close eye on the mailboxes window. It tends to disappear...;)

                    LOL. Between this group & news://comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
                    there's a lot o' help for Eudora available. Almost as much as NoteTab ;-)?

                    Julie
                    __
                    The stuff of Earth competes for the allegiance
                    I owe only to the Giver of all good things
                    - If I Stand, Rich Mullins
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                      Hi DA,

                      > I sent a message to abuse@... and this is what I got back.
                      >
                      > "We are not able to respond personally to each message
                      > Seems I'll never know if anything was done by ATT.

                      They do actually check into it though. Problems like the one you
                      are experiencing and others cleared up after a little bit of time.

                      > I don't think my Netscape Communicator is causing the problem.
                      > Why would they put in a feature like this?
                      >
                      > Do you have any idea what the name of this feature (repeating
                      > messages) would be in Netscape, so I can look it up?

                      No, no, not a feature, but the mail seems to be getting hosed up
                      somewhere. Perhaps your own mail server. Have you contacted your
                      ISP?

                      > I don't recall how these messages got started, except that I
                      > was looking into Netcaptor after hearing about it in a NoteTab
                      > e-groups message. If they are coming from e-groups, wouldn't
                      > there be something identifying e-groups as the source?

                      The post that you sent at first got sent again to eGroups though
                      it appears. Do you ever get a message from people saying that
                      you already sent them that post?

                      > Marco, did you say that if I use Eudora I can automatically
                      > send these messages back to them?

                      You can, but sometimes it will get bounced back to you if it is
                      going to cause a loop.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                        Jody,

                        > No, no, not a feature, but the mail seems to be getting hosed up somewhere. Perhaps your own mail server. Have you contacted your ISP?

                        No wonder the "feature" didn't make any sense to me!
                        The ISP happens to be the ibm.net that att bought, so it is now
                        attglobal.net and I presume that the abuse@... will do the job.

                        > The post that you sent at first got sent again to eGroups though it appears. Do you ever get a message from people saying that you already sent them that post?

                        Never get that notice. After my 1st post, I got message from e-groups
                        saying the the off topic group didn't exist, or something like that. I
                        modified the address then sent it again. I think that is why you see two
                        posts. I think the address of off topic might have changed, since the
                        first one I used was from the first message saying that I was now
                        subscribing to the off topic group.

                        > > Marco, did you say that if I use Eudora I can automatically
                        > > send these messages back to them?
                        >
                        > You can, but sometimes it will get bounced back to you if it is going to cause a loop.

                        Sounds like filters will be better.

                        DA
                      • Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                          Alle 11.58 Monday 12/06/2000 -0700, DA ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                          >Marco, did you say that if I use Eudora I can automatically send these
                          >messages back to them?

                          Sure you can!
                          Filtering messages with the "Forward to" (their address) filter.

                          > It looks like I will have to implement one of
                          >your suggestions - Filters or Eudora.

                          Eudora has nice advantages. For example, if you change your computer it's
                          enough to copy just some files to have the same configuration.
                          And its filters are really great.
                          And mailboxes are readable with NoteTab.
                          And you can use it as auto-responder (like att service)
                          And... a lot of other things, even a filter to create a HTML page from a
                          mailbox.

                          >which version would suit my purposes best.

                          Of course the latest: it was 4.3.2 at dinner time :-)

                          And Julie wrote:
                          >LOL. Between this group & news://comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
                          >there's a lot o' help for Eudora available. Almost as much as NoteTab ;-)?

                          That's because Out-Luck is usually used in "just feed the monkey" mode,
                          while Eudora requires a bit of participation: this creates better users ;-)
                          Unuseful infos about MS products can be found on
                          news://alt.destroy.microsoft or news://alt.conspiracy.microsoft <g>

                          The big OT of the day: see very nice pics of Larry Wall and Tom
                          Christiansen (Perl fathers) at
                          http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/06/06/geekcruise.html
                          and guess why Perl is my preferred language :-)

                          Bye!

                          Marco Bernardini
                        • Joe Braly
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                            DA wrote:

                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > Does anybody know how to stop e-mails like this? In spite of all
                            > the references to 1999, I just received this today. They have
                            > been coming to me periodically for almost a year now. I have
                            > sent replies requesting that they stop the e-mails to no avail.

                            Never send a reply to a unsolicited spam email. This only assures that
                            your address is real and current

                            > When I contacted Adam Stiles by phone he only wanted to sell me
                            > his browser and he seemed unconcerned that this message is
                            > constantly being sent to me.

                            Of course he was unconcerned. You took the bait. Now he is only
                            concerned with how many more baits you are willing to take.

                            The letter is an obvious fabricated auto responder letter. It would imply
                            that it is in response to your attempt to contact them. Anyone with a legit
                            operation would not be away two plus months.

                            I think Jody was on the right tract with Abuse@..., however the ISP
                            is ibm.net. I would contact them and find out their spam abuse policy and
                            provide them with the information. There are other abuse prevention groups
                            to contact.

                            Remember a response of any kind will generate more spam.

                            Joe in Texas Hill Country
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 12, 2000
                              Hi DA,

                              > No wonder the "feature" didn't make any sense to me!
                              > The ISP happens to be the ibm.net that att bought, so it is now
                              > attglobal.net and I presume that the abuse@... will do the job.

                              They will pass it on to the right internal department if it is
                              their problem or take care of it elsewhere if need be,,, hopefully.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 13, 2000
                                This seems a bit excessive: a Chinese bank accountant who stole $200.000
                                has been sentenced to death.
                                Whole article at
                                http://news.excite.com:80/news/ap/000612/12/china-crime

                                BTW, what's the Chinese penalty for spammers?

                                Bye

                                Marco Bernardini
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 14, 2000
                                  Hi Julie,

                                  > LOL. Between this group & news://comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
                                  > there's a lot o' help for Eudora available. Almost as much as
                                  > NoteTab ;-)?

                                  Here's another:

                                  Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:54:11 -0500
                                  To: eudora-win@...
                                  From: Pete Beim <beim@...>
                                  Sender: <eudora-win@...>

                                  Since Matt's success in publicizing this list has resulted in so many new
                                  names popping up on the list (and who knows how many lurkers <g>), if
                                  you're new to the Eudora-Win mailing list or just looking for a list of
                                  FAQs, check out the Eudora FAQs, links to other sites with FAQs and links
                                  to the Eudora manuals and software at:

                                  http://wso.williams.edu/~eudora/

                                  Most of the questions in this mailing list are answered in the FAQs section
                                  at one of the FAQs site links, or in the manuals.

                                  If you still can't find the answer to your question, review that last
                                  couple of days of posting in the mailing list to make sure your question
                                  hasn't *just* been answered. You can view the most recent posts at:

                                  http://wso.williams.edu/listserv/eudora-win/

                                  You can also search the comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows newsgroup by going to:

                                  http://wso.williams.edu/~eudora/index.html#newsgroup

                                  If your question is still unanswered or you don't have access to the WWW,
                                  remember when you're posting to:

                                  -Be as specific as possible in the subject

                                  -Include as many details as you can

                                  -If it is a question about an Eudora error, include the numbers in ()

                                  -Specify what version of Eudora you're using

                                  -Specify whether it is 32bit or 16bit

                                  -Specify what operating system you're using.

                                  -Have a nice day, there are more important things in the world than
                                  Email :)

                                  of

                                  FWIW

                                  Pete

                                  Got Eudora questions? Check out http://wso.williams.edu/~eudora/

                                  mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 30, 2000
                                    Hi Joe, DA, and All,

                                    I assumed this thread was solved and over with. The problem
                                    appeared to be with ATT's mail server like I mentioned. I know
                                    for a fact that posts get hung in their's more often than I would
                                    like to see. Just ask all my clean funnies members of the
                                    dups/trips they get spit out to them (10-20 funnies at times,
                                    some a month or more old) because of ATT's messed up mail server.
                                    ATT is bad at the way they handle multiple posts from the same
                                    eMail address one after another which I have called them about a
                                    few times only to get some dummie at the other end. The reason
                                    is to speed up regular single post mail, but their method has a
                                    lot to be desired. Those familiar with mail servers know that
                                    sort of thing happens.

                                    I do know that sometimes I get heated up about things and I only
                                    seem to hear what I want to hear and do not always hear what the
                                    person is saying like when I called about wrong MEM being sent to
                                    me the other day. NoteTab often gets blamed for things it did
                                    not do and it takes Eric and I a number of posts to try to
                                    salvage the damage done and stop it before it gets worse. I hope
                                    that Adam's personal post to me (which he gave me permission to
                                    post after writing him back to do so) post will help clear this
                                    up and that no rumors will get started.

                                    As I mentioned before, I also received one of his auto-responder
                                    posts back in December, but that is the only one I received. I use
                                    a mirror ATT server and not their main server.

                                    Anyhow, I wrote my friend Adam Style's, the author of NetCaptor,
                                    about this situation this morning and his reply follows unedited.
                                    I can assure you he is not the type to send out SPAM. He
                                    certainly would not want all the mail and problems it would
                                    generate and also cause for a bad name with his company.

                                    Subject: RE: [NTO] Incessant e-mail
                                    Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:53:55 -0700

                                    Hi Jody,

                                    Here's the scoop -- about a year ago, in August '99, I went on
                                    vacation with my family for about 10 days (to a church camp -- it
                                    was awesome). I put an auto-responder on my email account so
                                    that anyone who wrote would receive an email saying I was out of
                                    town and that I would get back to them soon. When I got back from
                                    vacation I obviously forgot to turn it off and several users let
                                    me know that the responder was still active two weeks after I
                                    returned from vacation. I shut it off and assumed the situation
                                    was over. I'm the only one at Stilesoft/NetCaptor and I write all
                                    the code, do all the tech support, and answer all the email.

                                    I have no idea why this user is still apparently receiving emails
                                    from me. If you ask me, its impossible. Late last year I moved
                                    web hosting providers from a small, shared host in California
                                    running Windows NT to two dedicated Linux web servers co-located
                                    at a data center in Florida. There is no possible way that the
                                    new servers are sending out automatic replies to users. We don't
                                    have auto-responders setup on our new servers -- I don't even
                                    know how. Our vacation is coming up again in about two weeks and
                                    figuring out how to setup another auto-responder on the new
                                    system is on my TODO list. The mail server software is totally
                                    different.

                                    Further, the only email ann0uncements that we send out at this
                                    point are to registered pro users. I don't even save the email
                                    addresses from anyone who writes to me -- only the pro users who
                                    have purchased the product and want to be notified about new
                                    releases. Anyone else has to check the web site or rely on the
                                    notification system built in to the software.

                                    So, how could this be happening? The only situation I can imagine
                                    is that AT&T's email system is hosed. Perhaps the email is stuck
                                    in a loop inside their system.

                                    I'm sorry that the user who received these emails felt I was
                                    unconcerned about the problem. That's not the case and I
                                    apologize. I don't remember any phone conversations about this --
                                    but I do remember an email conversation. Its been a long time and
                                    I assumed the situation was taken care of.

                                    Any chance the user could send me a copy of the email? It would
                                    be nice to take a look at the headers and trace the send date
                                    and the route it took to that user. That would be VERY helpful.

                                    Adam