Re: [NTO] virus?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 21, 2004
      loro wrote:

      > Almost all the condensers had popped. (I'm not sure condenser
      > is the correct English word. Small, fuse like cylinders,
      > sitting all over the place?)
      >
      > Lotta

      Lotta,

      Condenser is certainly acceptable, capacitor is the term used most of
      the time.

      Condensers and capacitors generally are able to take and retain a charge
      of either polarity, like a momentary mini-battery.

      Electrolytic capacitors are usually smaller in farad value and can be
      charged in single polarity direction only.

      hrs
    • Brian Binder
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 22, 2004
        >Ed,
        >
        >Will the computer boot to DOS?
        >
        >If so, one thing you might try, since you can't do much more damage than
        >is already done, is, boot to DOS, type at the C:\... prompt,
        >
        >format c: /mbr

        The correct command would be "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt to
        restore this. This is non-destructive to the operating system.

        >Mbr is, Main Boot Record.

        MBR is the "Master Boot Record"

        > It should clean all data, including any
        >virus, from the MBR allowing you to, at least, boot into Windows.

        From all that I have read so far (I would have replied earlier but was
        sick) I would proceed next by simply downloading one of the
        manufacturer's utilities to diagnose the drive. If it's a Maxtor, hit
        their web site and download their diagnostics disk. Same with Seagate
        or WD. This will help determine if the drive is bad and can even
        low-level format it back to factory specs, if need be. Please give this
        a shot and post back with your results.

        Brian