RE: [NTO] virus?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 21, 2004
      Something's weird with that.
      If track 0 is corrupt, there's no way you should be able to get to the W98
      splash screen.

      You also might consider formatting from A: vs. >>go(ing) to C:<< since you
      frequently can't be on the drive you're reformatting.

      If your nephew works on computers, why is he (evidently) so lax about virus
      protection?
      Actually just a rhetorical question. I don't care. I can tell you, though,
      he'd not be someone I'd hire for a business environment if reformatting is
      his answer.

      C.

      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 22, 2004
        >Ed,
        >
        >Will the computer boot to DOS?
        >
        >If so, one thing you might try, since you can't do much more damage than
        >is already done, is, boot to DOS, type at the C:\... prompt,
        >
        >format c: /mbr

        The correct command would be "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt to
        restore this. This is non-destructive to the operating system.

        >Mbr is, Main Boot Record.

        MBR is the "Master Boot Record"

        > It should clean all data, including any
        >virus, from the MBR allowing you to, at least, boot into Windows.

        From all that I have read so far (I would have replied earlier but was
        sick) I would proceed next by simply downloading one of the
        manufacturer's utilities to diagnose the drive. If it's a Maxtor, hit
        their web site and download their diagnostics disk. Same with Seagate
        or WD. This will help determine if the drive is bad and can even
        low-level format it back to factory specs, if need be. Please give this
        a shot and post back with your results.

        Brian