Problem with network drives?

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2004
      Hi

      I originally posted to the "basic" list but Jody suggested I move the question here. This message redefines the problem because of something I've just found.

      I'm trying to edit text files using UNC name format on my networked machines with NoteTab 4.90 and 4.95. This used to work fine until about a week ago - then I applied all the outstanding MS patches to the operating system (Windows 2000 Pro). Now, when I save changes, I get an error popup which gives the file name, then "... was not successfully saved to disk. Size does not match (difference of nnnn bytes)." The number of bytes in the "difference" is the full size of the revised text file.

      I have just discovered that the problem only occurs if I have the "Make Backups" option set. If I turn this option off, the file saves normally.

      Note that the file saves even if I have the "Make Backups" option on - the pop-up is generated after the file has been saved - however, the red "needs saving" flag in the file name tab is not turned off. The backup is created correctly, as well, before the pop-up is generated. When I bring focus back to the NoteTab window (even with the pop-up still active), it gives me the "someone else has modified, reload" pop-up.

      I suspect a minor incompatibility between Windows 2000 Pro and NoteTab which has been triggered by one of the latest patches.

      The problem does not occur on mapped network drives, which continue to work perfectly. (However, mapping shares is not an option as I have more shares on my home network than there are drive letters.)

      Following is a copy of my original message. Please ignore if you've already seen it.

      TIA Dave Smart