Re: [NTO] Languages? etc. etc. etc.

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2000
      Hi All,

      >> If
      >> R = 50
      >> XXX = 100
      >>
      >> Must be T = 66.67
      >>
      >> Thus, young boys are over-rated...
      >>
      >> Of course some youngs thinks it's better to avoid these words
      >> while "in family" because parents use their original meaning.
      >

      >Very true. If one uses the same word over and over, they become
      >desensitized to that word. It is like Bandura's teaching if you
      >have ever studied his works. Yet, the child knows what the word
      >means and knows, that if he calls his mother that his dad will
      >be all over him - outside the house though it is cool to use
      >around his buddies and used so often that it really doesn't mean
      >anything to them.
      >

      >> SETI project must change a web page because it contains the
      >> term "naked eye": they must swap to "unaided eye" because some
      >> silly programs thinks a "naked eye" is a depravate thing.
      >

      >That's a real laugh. "Naked eye" is used quite often in English
      >literature. ;)
      >

      >I'm not one for censorship myself; I believe in freedom of speech.
      >However, don't force it on me and don't use certain languages when
      >in public places where it offends people.

      Not being one to complain (overly much :-) )

      I would just like to remind folks that there are those out there who pay
      dearly to download their e-mail over a 28.8 modem and others of us who have
      to sift through up to 100 e-mails a day. :-(

      Perhaps some threads reach a point where they should be taken off the list
      and pursued privately since they aren't necessarily beneficial or of
      interest to all who monitor the list.
      (Just a thought (:-) )

      Jody Wrote:

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List (http://www.notetab.com) is for discussion of
      NoteTab and other topics. As the name implies the list is purposed for
      discussion of issues that are considered off-topic for the regular NoteTab
      discussion mailing lists which see below.

      The discussion is pretty much wide open although use common courtesy and
      remember the NoteTab lists have people from all backgrounds so keep the
      discussion acceptable for the general audience.

      Examples of topics for discussion are, but certainly not limited to:
      NoteTab of course and all related issues, Windows, computer hardware,
      software such as image editors, html & text editors, word processors,
      Internet Service Provider (ISP), FREEWARE, SHAREWARE, etc. (I suppose some
      chit-chat about the weather would be acceptable from time to time.)

      Regards

      Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2000
        Hi Jim and All,

        > Not being one to complain (overly much :-) )

        No you are not. ;)

        > Perhaps some threads reach a point where they should be taken
        > off the list and pursued privately since they aren't
        > necessarily beneficial or of interest to all who monitor the
        > list. (Just a thought (:-) )

        The ones like this don't last too long and even this is list
        related. It is keeping within the guidelines as well. I find the
        topic beneficial myself and have found some computer related ones
        that weren't beneficial to me. My point there is not everything
        posted is going to be beneficial to everybody on the list or
        interesting to them. That is the nature of mailing lists. I do
        understand what you are saying and Marco and I have taken a few
        of our threads off the list and went to private eMail. This one
        started off pertaining to the list and was just defined in a bit
        of detail. ;)

        I am concerned about those that have to pay for their mail as you
        will notice I mention on the lists to snip out unneeded text in
        the replies and always forbid even a 2kb icon from being attached
        to the lists. Thanks for your's also.

        My emphasis in CAPS below.

        > The NoteTab Off-Topic List (http://www.notetab.com) is for
        > discussion of NoteTab AND OTHER TOPICS.

        > The discussion IS PRETTY MUCH WIDE OPEN...

        > Examples of topics for discussion are, BUT CERTAINLY NOT LIMITED TO:
        > (I suppose some chit-chat about the weather would be acceptable
        > from time to time.)

        So, how's the weather up your way Jim? :) See any good movies
        lately? How's the wife and kids doing? Been fishing lately?
        How about those Atlanta Braves?

        I consider those an example of "chit-chat about the weather" even
        though some folk might consider a Braves game more important or
        interesting than NoteTab. ;)

        Should I start a...

        Ntb-ChitChat@... or Ntb-WeatherChatters@...

        ...for NoteTabbers to get together and discuss their country,
        their beliefs, political issues, religious, jokes, etc.? :)

        Actually, I think the small amount of non-techie stuff that has
        gone through has been a refreshing change for a NoteTab list
        instead of tech talk all the time.

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2000

          Alle 05.55 Saturday 10/06/2000 -0700, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
          messaggio:

          <snip>
          >I would just like to remind folks that there are those out there who pay
          >dearly to download their e-mail over a 28.8 modem and others of us who have
          >to sift through up to 100 e-mails a day. :-(

          Me, for example!
          50-70$/month of phone bill just to connect to the Web (well, at 33.6-50 kbps)

          But the OT list is one of my preferred: I read others just in digest mode.

          Marco "be concise" Bernardini