Re: [NTO] Small Font

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
      Hi Don and Others,

      I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
      forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in. Believe
      it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be the most
      legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a loner with
      Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is easier to
      read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing might be a
      different story... I'm not asking for comments, (unless you feel
      like it), just stating my preferences. ;)

      >> I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
      >
      >What graphics program are you working in? Vector based graphics
      >are scalable, so you can type any number you want. Clear fonts
      >like arial for example may be readable at smaller sizes.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • rbmooney
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
        Jody,
        Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's what
        the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier New
        or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to do
        as yopu say.

        I can get to 2 pt in Corel WP or often the same in MS WORD. But I find that
        printers I have access to won't give a neat look to any of these fonts and
        sizes unless the paper is unusually high quality, nearly photographic value
        paper. As always, I find that any Adobe PS fonts work perfectly on the
        right printer using the highest quality paper. Must have loads of RAM on
        the prn, though.
        Blake
        rbmooney

        > I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
        > forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in. Believe
        > it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be the most
        > legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a loner with
        > Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is easier to
        > read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing might be a
        > different story... I'm not asking for comments, (unless you feel
        > like it), just stating my preferences. ;)
        >
        > >> I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
        > >
        > >What graphics program are you working in? Vector based graphics
        > >are scalable, so you can type any number you want. Clear fonts
        > >like arial for example may be readable at smaller sizes.
        >

        > Happy Topics,
        > Jody
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
          I've never used PaintShop as I have the 600 pound gorilla known as
          the Photoshop, but here's a trick which works in the Photoshop that
          you might try in PaintShop.

          Try creating your original text in a very large size, such as 48.
          Then with the program reduce or save it at a reduced sized to be what
          you want. With the Photoshop the program automatically optimizes the
          reduced size to be the best it can usually be.

          The key is knowing how your graphics program uses anti-aliasing,
          that's the concept of blurring some screen pixels to make an
          otherwise jagged font look smooth.

          John
        • texas critter
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
            On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:08:25 -0500, rbmooney <rbmooney@...> wrote:

            > Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's what
            > the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier New
            > or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to do
            > as yopu say.

            What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the box
            where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works fine. I
            don't know about earlier versions tho.

            --
            hth,
            alice ttlg

            EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
            EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
          • rbmooney
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
              "t c"
              Thanks a million! That's unbelievable...and all this time I've been using
              word processors to create unusual text and then importing that into the text
              box inside PSP. "Holy smokes Batman!" Thank you!
              Blake
              rbmooney

              > > Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's
              what
              > > the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier
              New
              > > or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to
              do
              > > as yopu say.
              >
              > What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the box
              > where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works fine. I
              > don't know about earlier versions tho.
              >
              > --
              > hth,
              > alice ttlg
              >
              > EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
              > EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • texas critter
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:28:24 -0500, rbmooney <rbmooney@...> wrote:

                > "t c"
                > Thanks a million! That's unbelievable...and all this time I've been using
                > word processors to create unusual text and then importing that into the text
                > box inside PSP. "Holy smokes Batman!" Thank you!

                You're welcome, Robin! :) I just love figuring out the little things,
                they make the big stuff so much easier!

                --
                hth,
                alice ttlg

                EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
                EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
              • Mick Housel 77
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, texas critter
                  <texascritter@g...> wrote:
                  > What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the
                  box
                  > where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works
                  fine. I
                  > don't know about earlier versions tho.

                  It also works in v8 of PSP. I've been using PSP since about v3 or v4
                  (ya know what they say is the first thing to go :). I love PSP, it's
                  a great product for the price. The step JASC made from v7 to v8 was
                  a good one. One word of advice tho, don't try using it on a PI or
                  PII, lots of RAM or not, it doesn't wanna run well on anything below
                  a PIII and I highly recommend a bare minimum of 256 for RAM.

                  I've used PhotoShop a little bit and it's a great program from what I
                  saw/used. However, PSP does a great job for anyone who isn't a
                  Graphics Artist by trade. In fact, I know a few GA's that use both,
                  depending on what they're doing. It does everything I need in my
                  website design/management business :)

                  Another great little program I've found useful is Fontlister.
                  www.fontlister.com With it you can use any fonts, whether they're
                  installed or not. Fontlister must be running and the font you want
                  to use needs to be in it's "listing" You can view fonts in any folder
                  (including sub-folders). This works great with programs like PSP,
                  PhotoShop, Word, etc. where you only want to use the font for a short
                  time for a graphic or a special title on a document. It's much
                  easier on the system without having to install bunch of seldom used
                  fonts yet fairly quick and easy to have access to fonts from your
                  hard disk, CD, etc. I see the author is working on a complete rewrite
                  and has a test version available, might have to give it a try. Oh,
                  and I have no affilliation with the software or author, just like
                  fontlister :)

                  Ya'll have a good week!

                  Mick
                  aka MotoMania
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                    Hi rbmooney,

                    >Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if
                    >that's what the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in
                    >PSP using Courier New or Tahoma.

                    Yes, it does mean Paint Shop Pro. You need to *select the text* in
                    the Font dialog window before making any changes to it whether
                    color, antialias, size. Once you select the size assuming it is a
                    vector font (according to Don) type in the font size you want like
                    Alice mentioned.

                    >> I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
                    >> forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in.
                    >> Believe it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be
                    >> the most legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a
                    >> loner with Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is
                    >> easier to read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing
                    >> might be a different story... I'm not asking for comments,
                    >> (unless you feel like it), just stating my preferences. ;)

                    >>> What graphics program are you working in? Vector based
                    >>> graphics are scalable, so you can type any number you want.
                    >>> Clear fonts like arial for example may be readable at smaller
                    >>> sizes.

                    Happy html'n!

                    www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                      vector/non-vector will both scale, however, vector based will rescale
                      exactly because they are mathamatically generated whereas the raster (or
                      pixel based) is something that actually exists and then is approximated
                      on resizing ... or something like that :-)
                      so vector based will resize without loss of quality
                      raster based will resize, but may lose some quality