Small Font

    Message 1 of 20 , May 24, 2004
      Hi All,

      I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
      perhaps 4-6pts. I never seem to be able to find it. I need a
      small one for making buttons. Anybody know where to get one?

      bcnu,
      jody

      I can only please one person a day.
      Today is obviously not your day.
      Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
      http://www.sojourner.us/software
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 20 , May 24, 2004
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
        > perhaps 4-6pts. I never seem to be able to find it. I need a
        > small one for making buttons. Anybody know where to get one?
        >
        > bcnu,
        > jody

        What graphics program are you working in? Vector based graphics are
        scalable, so you can type any number you want. Clear fonts like arial
        for example may be readable at smaller sizes.

        Message 3 of 20 , May 24, 2004
          Jody wrote:
          >I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
          >perhaps 4-6pts. I never seem to be able to find it. I need a
          >small one for making buttons. Anybody know where to get one?

          Search for pixel fonts or bitmap fonts. These aren't free but they are very pretty and very crisp.
          http://www.wpdfd.com/pixelfonts.htm

          Silkscreen is very small and free:
          http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/
          Sevenet too:
          http://www.fountain.nu/catalogue/sevenet.asp
          Links to more, more, more!
          http://www.websitetips.com/fonts/pixelfonts.shtml

          In case you don't know, pixel fonts must be rendered at exactly the pixel size they are made for, or multiples thereof. They don't always tell you what size that is so it can be a little tricky.

          Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 20 , May 24, 2004
            Jody:

            I have two fonts in C:\Winnt\Fonts named:

            smalle.fon
            smallf.fon

            They are very readable at 8,7,6 pts and fairly readable at 5 and 4. If I
            remember correctly a couple of years ago when I was trying to make a cheat
            sheet for Notetab, that's the font I used to label the tooltip buttons in
            the screen shot I annotated.

            AFAIK they came with the Win2K install CD (their Properties pages indicate
            Microsoft origin)

            I've zipped them together and put them here:
            http://www.aci.on.ca/~alecbur/SmallFontsForJody.zip

            Have a look and see if that's what you are after.

            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 20 , May 24, 2004
              Lotta:

              > http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/

              I got the silkscreen set. Is it just my monitor or do the BOLD 4 and W look
              pretty crappy at all display sizes?

              Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 20 , May 25, 2004
                Alec Burgess wrote:
                >> http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/
                >
                >I got the silkscreen set. Is it just my monitor or do the BOLD 4 and W look
                >pretty crappy at all display sizes?

                The bold W maybe looks a little fuzzy in the sample at his site too. They are so small. Too small for me in fact so I can't really say what I think but I don't think the W is too bad. <G>

                Did you get the size right? If my notes are correct silkscreen is 8 pixels. That would be 6 points at 92 ppi. So 6, 12 and so on. And don't anti-alias.

                Lotta
              • rbmooney
                Message 7 of 20 , May 25, 2004
                  Loro,

                  This is silkscreen expanded at 8 pt.

                  This is regular silkscreen at 8 pt.

                  The above are at 8 pt font arial. So is this line but its font comes with the reg fonts I use on my OE in IE.

                  Frankly, the only diff. I ever see is that silkscreen is ALL CAPS and it has the value of expansion or reg. setting. But...it does look nice under small thumbnail jpgs or other misc small icons. But like the para. here, too much can "pull the eye muscles."

                  Tools>Options>Compose, on the OE email menu bar, will let you set to 8 pt. But I don't know of a smaller font--6pt arial, say. Not for emails. But in WordPerfect or WORD I often go to 6 pt. and insert that finished text into emails.

                  Maybe 6 pt from SILKSCREEN doesn't show up on my OE DROP-DOWN font window due to the basic program settings within OE. Does anyone know?

                  Blake

                  rbmooney

                  > >I got the silkscreen set. Is it just my monitor or do the BOLD 4 and W look
                  > >pretty crappy at all display sizes?
                  >
                  > The bold W maybe looks a little fuzzy in the sample at his site too. They are so small. Too small for me in fact so I can't really say what I think but I don't think the W is too bad. <G>
                  >
                  > Did you get the size right? If my notes are correct silkscreen is 8 pixels. That would be 6 points at 92 ppi. So 6, 12 and so on. And don't anti-alias.
                  >
                  > Lotta

                • rbmooney
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 25, 2004
                    Loro,
                    I messed that up badly. My copy came back as reg. 10 pt arial text.

                    Blake
                    rbmooney

                    > The above are at 8 pt font arial. So is this line but its font comes with the reg fonts I use on my OE in IE.
                    > Blake
                    >
                    > rbmooney

                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 26, 2004
                      Hi

                      > I messed that up badly. My copy came back as reg. 10 pt arial text.

                      That's because this list is set to strip attachments, so the HTML version
                      that you sent didn't arrive, and your own mail program has ARIAL as your
                      font for plain text.

                      (I just saw the usual ANDALE MONO! :-)

                      You'll need to make a graphic of it and upload it somewhere.

                      Greg
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 26, 2004
                        rbmooney wrote:
                        >Frankly, the only diff. I ever see is that silkscreen is ALL CAPS and it has the value of expansion or reg. setting. But...it does look nice under small thumbnail jpgs or other misc small icons.

                        Yes, as Greg said, that's the purpose of those small fonts. You don't use them in documents but in graphics, for instance for button captions. They are made up of distinct pixels without any anti-aliasing or smoothing of any kind. That makes them crisp but only at their true size. 1 pixel too much or too little and they get distorted.

                        You can see an example of how they really look here:
                        http://minifonts.com/images/onflashgrid.gif

                        Lotta
                      • rbmooney
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 28, 2004
                          lotta,
                          That's interesting about the small fonts being crisp at only their true
                          size. I do use them at 5 pt. for my credit-card-size personal med cards.
                          One side has all my med procedures and medicines; the other side shows EKG's
                          and certain blood profile results. That card alone has saved me lots of
                          complications in travels to Europe but especially to Eastern Europe: Prague
                          and Olomouc. I plasticize it, punch a grommet into one center end, attach a
                          neck chain, and aside from filling my chest with tattoos with the same info,
                          doctors and nurses only mumble about the small size. When they do I do a
                          Sherlock Holmes gesture and they get their magnifying glass or a clear water
                          glass filled with water and that enlarges any and all parts of both sides.
                          This is especially important when one is allergic to certain "life-saving"
                          drugs. My name is placed vertically on the left border: all neat looking
                          and very helpful to the medical people. Years ago I tried 4 pt
                          fonts--originated by the printer alone!--and would be using that to this day
                          had the prn not given up the ghost. Back then--1984--it was capable of
                          going lower though I couldn't see the value of 3 or 2 pt fonts.
                          Blake
                          rbmooney

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                            Hi Don and Others,

                            I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
                            forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in. Believe
                            it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be the most
                            legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a loner with
                            Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is easier to
                            read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing might be a
                            different story... I'm not asking for comments, (unless you feel
                            like it), just stating my preferences. ;)

                            >> I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
                            >
                            >What graphics program are you working in? Vector based graphics
                            >are scalable, so you can type any number you want. Clear fonts
                            >like arial for example may be readable at smaller sizes.

                            All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                          • rbmooney
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                              Jody,
                              Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's what
                              the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier New
                              or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to do
                              as yopu say.

                              I can get to 2 pt in Corel WP or often the same in MS WORD. But I find that
                              printers I have access to won't give a neat look to any of these fonts and
                              sizes unless the paper is unusually high quality, nearly photographic value
                              paper. As always, I find that any Adobe PS fonts work perfectly on the
                              right printer using the highest quality paper. Must have loads of RAM on
                              the prn, though.
                              Blake
                              rbmooney

                              > I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
                              > forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in. Believe
                              > it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be the most
                              > legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a loner with
                              > Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is easier to
                              > read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing might be a
                              > different story... I'm not asking for comments, (unless you feel
                              > like it), just stating my preferences. ;)
                              >
                              > >> I've seen a font that can get very, very small in the past,
                              > >
                              > >What graphics program are you working in? Vector based graphics
                              > >are scalable, so you can type any number you want. Clear fonts
                              > >like arial for example may be readable at smaller sizes.
                              >

                              > Happy Topics,
                              > Jody
                            • John Zeman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                I've never used PaintShop as I have the 600 pound gorilla known as
                                the Photoshop, but here's a trick which works in the Photoshop that
                                you might try in PaintShop.

                                Try creating your original text in a very large size, such as 48.
                                Then with the program reduce or save it at a reduced sized to be what
                                you want. With the Photoshop the program automatically optimizes the
                                reduced size to be the best it can usually be.

                                The key is knowing how your graphics program uses anti-aliasing,
                                that's the concept of blurring some screen pixels to make an
                                otherwise jagged font look smooth.

                                John
                              • texas critter
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                  On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:08:25 -0500, rbmooney <rbmooney@...> wrote:

                                  > Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's what
                                  > the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier New
                                  > or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to do
                                  > as yopu say.

                                  What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the box
                                  where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works fine. I
                                  don't know about earlier versions tho.

                                  --
                                  hth,
                                  alice ttlg

                                  EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
                                  EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
                                • rbmooney
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                    "t c"
                                    Thanks a million! That's unbelievable...and all this time I've been using
                                    word processors to create unusual text and then importing that into the text
                                    box inside PSP. "Holy smokes Batman!" Thank you!
                                    Blake
                                    rbmooney

                                    > > Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if that's
                                    what
                                    > > the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in PSP using Courier
                                    New
                                    > > or Tahoma. Maybe there's a plug-in I missed for PSP that allows one to
                                    do
                                    > > as yopu say.
                                    >
                                    > What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the box
                                    > where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works fine. I
                                    > don't know about earlier versions tho.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > hth,
                                    > alice ttlg
                                    >
                                    > EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
                                    > EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • texas critter
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                      On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:28:24 -0500, rbmooney <rbmooney@...> wrote:

                                      > "t c"
                                      > Thanks a million! That's unbelievable...and all this time I've been using
                                      > word processors to create unusual text and then importing that into the text
                                      > box inside PSP. "Holy smokes Batman!" Thank you!

                                      You're welcome, Robin! :) I just love figuring out the little things,
                                      they make the big stuff so much easier!

                                      --
                                      hth,
                                      alice ttlg

                                      EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/
                                      EL-M Google: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/emaillist-managers
                                    • Mick Housel 77
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, texas critter
                                        <texascritter@g...> wrote:
                                        > What version were you using? In v6 and v7, you could click in the
                                        box
                                        > where it showed 8pt and type in 6 or 7 or 5 or 4 and it works
                                        fine. I
                                        > don't know about earlier versions tho.

                                        It also works in v8 of PSP. I've been using PSP since about v3 or v4
                                        (ya know what they say is the first thing to go :). I love PSP, it's
                                        a great product for the price. The step JASC made from v7 to v8 was
                                        a good one. One word of advice tho, don't try using it on a PI or
                                        PII, lots of RAM or not, it doesn't wanna run well on anything below
                                        a PIII and I highly recommend a bare minimum of 256 for RAM.

                                        I've used PhotoShop a little bit and it's a great program from what I
                                        saw/used. However, PSP does a great job for anyone who isn't a
                                        Graphics Artist by trade. In fact, I know a few GA's that use both,
                                        depending on what they're doing. It does everything I need in my
                                        website design/management business :)

                                        Another great little program I've found useful is Fontlister.
                                        www.fontlister.com With it you can use any fonts, whether they're
                                        installed or not. Fontlister must be running and the font you want
                                        to use needs to be in it's "listing" You can view fonts in any folder
                                        (including sub-folders). This works great with programs like PSP,
                                        PhotoShop, Word, etc. where you only want to use the font for a short
                                        time for a graphic or a special title on a document. It's much
                                        easier on the system without having to install bunch of seldom used
                                        fonts yet fairly quick and easy to have access to fonts from your
                                        hard disk, CD, etc. I see the author is working on a complete rewrite
                                        and has a test version available, might have to give it a try. Oh,
                                        and I have no affilliation with the software or author, just like
                                        fontlister :)

                                        Ya'll have a good week!

                                        Mick
                                        aka MotoMania
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                                          Hi rbmooney,

                                          >Does PSP mean PaintShopPro? I tried that many times in PSP, if
                                          >that's what the initials mean. I never got below 8pt however in
                                          >PSP using Courier New or Tahoma.

                                          Yes, it does mean Paint Shop Pro. You need to *select the text* in
                                          the Font dialog window before making any changes to it whether
                                          color, antialias, size. Once you select the size assuming it is a
                                          vector font (according to Don) type in the font size you want like
                                          Alice mentioned.

                                          >> I just wanted to thank everybody for all the useful info. I
                                          >> forgot I could scale smaller in PSP by just typing it in.
                                          >> Believe it or not, I found my old faithful Courier New to be
                                          >> the most legible at small points (?) 8, 6, 4. Seems like I am a
                                          >> loner with Courier New, but I haven't ever found a font that is
                                          >> easier to read. Maybe Tahoma, but that's about it. Printing
                                          >> might be a different story... I'm not asking for comments,
                                          >> (unless you feel like it), just stating my preferences. ;)

                                          >>> What graphics program are you working in? Vector based
                                          >>> graphics are scalable, so you can type any number you want.
                                          >>> Clear fonts like arial for example may be readable at smaller
                                          >>> sizes.

                                          Happy html'n!

                                          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                                        • Don - htmlfixit.com
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 8, 2004
                                            vector/non-vector will both scale, however, vector based will rescale
                                            exactly because they are mathamatically generated whereas the raster (or
                                            pixel based) is something that actually exists and then is approximated
                                            on resizing ... or something like that :-)
                                            so vector based will resize without loss of quality
                                            raster based will resize, but may lose some quality