Re: [NTO] W2K Pro or XP

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2004
      Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

      >Scott wrote:
      >

      >> 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
      >> Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
      >> runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
      >> an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
      >> Java runtimes will be developed.
      >>

      >I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
      >to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
      >current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
      >libraries every so often, and various new web applets
      >require the newer classes.

      My apologies for not making myself clear here. I'm referring
      to the crippling of Java and Netscape-style plugins in IE6,
      which is (still) an integral part of XP. Java support in Win2K
      is fine. I regularly update my Java VM with Sun's latest, but
      Java in XP and IE6 simply does or did not work as well as it
      does in Win2K. Admittedly, it can be argued that since the
      latest Windows/IE service pack, Java works somewhat better,
      but the fact remains that Microsoft did try to kill Java in
      XP by means of lack of support, Java is not supported in XP
      out of the box (and my mother is not going to download Sun's
      latest VM), and even with the latest VM, Java under XP can be
      dicier than with other OSs. What this means is that the Wal-
      Mart/BestBuy/family/grandma crowd are going to get machines
      that by default do not run Java well, which was Microsoft's
      intention. That is the arrogance and thuggishness to which I
      refer; Microsoft using monopoly advantage to cripple millions
      of web pages and undermine a worthwhile technology.

      Scott