Re: [NTO] GOOGLE settings

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2004
      I tried it and chucked it out being a simple minded person that I am.

      Take care. Barry UK

      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2004
        Julie:

        Do you still have the installer for the older "free" version of ROboForm? If
        its not totally illegal, could you email it to me (zipped - my ISP has
        recently started bouncing all naked EXE's) - I don't need the "bells and
        whistles" but would like to be able to add a 31st passcard without having to
        figure out which one to dump.

        Regards ... Alec

        > Get over the cheap thing, Julie. It's only your money that you make
        > to spend on yourself. So enjoy it!
        > The "bells and whistles" are unnecessary, but the ability to store
        > more than 30 passcards is worth the little money it costs -- to me.
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2004
          Hi Alec,

          >Do you still have the installer for the older "free" version of ROboForm? If
          >its not totally illegal, could you email it to me (zipped - my ISP has
          >recently started bouncing all naked EXE's) - I don't need the "bells and
          >whistles" but would like to be able to add a 31st passcard without having to
          >figure out which one to dump.

          Illegal? Here's the link from the official site:
          http://www.roboform.net/dist/AiRoboForm-4-6-8.exe

          :-)
        • blake mooney
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2004
            Hi Julie,
            What I don't like about programs that fill in the blanks for you, virtually
            automatically, is that they cannot seem to keep the passwords straight when
            you enter a site from different doors. This is esp. bad if you happen to
            initially enter one password but configure the Roboform with another that
            varies only by one character, purposefully. In effect, what I've done was
            to initiate an account with my bank using "X" as the password and then
            telling programs like Roboform that I want to use "X1" when checking on my
            bank account: all at the same bank. So I'm automatically kicked out by the
            bank's computer and wonder what part of the Roboform or similar program's
            revised password I actually changed, what different ending character did I
            include to make it different from the original manually entered password.
            As you can see, if I have this much trouble explaining what idiosyncrasies I
            use in getting in-and-out of password-protected sites, passwords that I've
            created and then modified, you can see how difficult I alone make my days.
            I mean there are too many cracks in the sidewalks to avoid missing all.
            Blake
            rbmooney

            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2004
              Blake:

              Aren't you able to create a second passcard to the same site with roboForm
              and then select which one you want to use - or is the problem that because
              of the way you get in, ROboForm thinks they are totally unrelated?

              If the latter, for my own interest (I'm beta testing a similar function
              program) is it possible to provide URLs so I could recreate the problem
              without having to actually open an account at your bank :-)

              Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 10 , May 9, 2004
                Alec,
                I guess the best way to cover this clearly is to say my bank--Whitney
                National Bank in New Orleans--has a rule that states: if you go in with one
                password that password alone tracks all your transactions. So if by some
                chance a program (like RoboForm) is used and I fill that out as I "remember"
                my password and hit the jackpot with that password, but even mistype or
                misspell the password during the setup and hit ENTER, the RoboForm-like
                program will remember all the passwords--including the misspelled ones and
                the bank's computer will automatically freeze my whole account if it detects
                3 or more attempts to open my account while online. I'm not even sure what
                I just wrote...let's see...if...I enter "XYZ666MO" as my initial password
                prior to installing any RoboForm-like programs, the second I go back to that
                site--any site--and type in accidentally "XYZ555MO" the bank's computer
                rejects that password and associates an "attempt" to enter my account by
                someone online. In any case, one day I was trying to get into my bank
                account and did just like I suggested above: hit several wrong keys...not
                once but twice. The moment I went back and tried to enter the bank using my
                new RoboForm-like program I was greeted by 5 similar possible passwords.
                Most of them were errors I created--rather my fingers did. Regardless, I
                was locked out as I could not recall the crazy password I had used on such
                an important site. As I didn't want to get booted again I refrained from
                using any password but kept sending the bank requests for a change in my
                LOGIN ID and PASSWORD. That was a mistake! Their computer rejected both
                requests and suggested that I apply for a new password. Now...the
                RoboForm-like program was surely lost and recorded 7 possible passwords.
                NOTE: I had this same trouble this morning with this very site as YAHOO is
                similar, in response, to many top sites when some fool starts messing about
                with his password or ID. Anyway...try opening an account with your Beta
                prog. and use one initial ID and password, then exit after setting up your
                registration, re-enter the site using the right ID but a close but wrong
                password. Your program will record the incorrect password associated with
                that site and will one day insert that incorrect password into this site and
                the site's computer will kick you out. Thus...my familiar status....

                "There is many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip."-Hazlitt: English
                Proverbs.
                Though men determine, the gods doo dispose; and oft times many things fall
                out betweene the cup and the lip.-Greene: Perimedes the Blacksmith (1588).

                "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" King Richard,III, Shakespeare.

                Blake
                rbmooney

                > Aren't you able to create a second passcard to the same site with roboForm
                > and then select which one you want to use - or is the problem that because
                > of the way you get in, ROboForm thinks they are totally unrelated?
                >
                > If the latter, for my own interest (I'm beta testing a similar function
                > program) is it possible to provide URLs so I could recreate the problem
                > without having to actually open an account at your bank :-)
                >
                > Regards ... Alec
                > --

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 10 , May 9, 2004
                  Blake:

                  I see ... kind of like being between a rock and a hard place! Oh well, in a
                  couple of years you'll just be pressing your thumb to your screen or getting
                  zapped by a laser from your video camera to confirm your identity
                  biometrically :-)

                  Regards ... Alec

                  > I guess the best way to cover this clearly is to say my bank--Whitney
                  > National Bank in New Orleans--has a rule that states: if you go in
                  > with one password that password
                  ...<snip> ...
                  > one day insert that incorrect
                  > password into this site and the site's computer will kick you out.
                  > Thus...my familiar status....
                • Bob Janes
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10, 2004
                    Hi,

                    blake mooney wrote:
                    > So if by some chance a program (like RoboForm) is used and I fill that out
                    as I "remember" my password and hit the jackpot with that password, but even
                    mistype or misspell the password during the setup and hit ENTER, the
                    RoboForm-like program will remember all the passwords--including the
                    misspelled ones and the bank's computer will automatically freeze my whole
                    account . . .

                    I use RoboForm extensively - right now about 200 passwords set up. But I had
                    to develop some strategies. Once upon a time I only used one passwords with
                    a few variants, then ai started registering on more 'unknown' sites (like
                    PowerTools) so didn't want the password spread around (though actually Xoops
                    doesn't store your password). So I started using RoboForm with its password
                    generator to generate 10 character random passwords like : S6zlxkLHzC it's a
                    delight to be able to drag and drop them into a web form - including the now
                    mandatory duplicate.

                    At the same time - when I remember - I also paste the id and password into
                    an Excel spreadsheet for backup. And I try to remember to logout of the site
                    and straight back in so that both my browser password manager and Roboform
                    get to remember the correct address. This may sound like overkill but it has
                    saved my bacon more than once when I've forgotten one step or another. And
                    from time to time I also print out a hard copy of my RoboForm list.

                    And it's true that if I use a different URL to enter a site then Roboform
                    and the password manager don't recognise it. If I get asked to save again
                    then I say no if I'm sure it's already saved, or I save again and edit the
                    id so I can see what it is.

                    So far this overkill has worked well for me - keeping fingers crossed whilst
                    touching wood.

                    Best wishes

                    Bob

                    --

                    Bob Janes
                    'A Helping Hand'

                    discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm.... that's
                    funny...'. - Isaac Asimov
                  • Barry
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 10, 2004
                      My bank works in exactly the same way for their online banking service.
                      There are 3 things I have to remember in order to go online and access my
                      account and after three failed attempts to get all 3 right they shut you
                      down.

                      Take care. Barry UK

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 10, 2004
                        Hi Bob,
                        Good for you! Wish I had the patience to work this problem as correctly as
                        you do. I wouldn't change a thing, if it works reliably for you. I'm still
                        trying to clean up my HD's of the hijacking program--probably
                        STOP-SIGN--that has lit. taken over my computer's OE config program and
                        keeps inserting erroneous ID's in my email registration form. Diabolical
                        fiend! But maybe HighJackThis will successfully identify the culprit???
                        Thanks for your info.
                        Blake
                        rbmooney