RE: [NTO] W2K Pro or XP

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2004
      Christine,
      At 03:58 AM 5/6/2004, you wrote:
      Thanks, guys.
      You've kind of confirmed the things I either already knew or have read. I
      just hated XP Pro so much the 1st time I installed it, I was furious.

      My guess is that you didn't spend enough time with it to learn it.

      The same people who said Win 98 was lousy and 95 was great are still out there saying that XP is lousy and 2K is great.

      From my experience, most of them either have not spent the time to learn XP or have several systems and don't want to pay the license fees for their systems so they stay with a pirated version of 2K and put it on all their systems without paying for each system.

      I am going to have to find the settings that make it stop protecting me from
      myself. I prefer the ease of W2K, but being a share/freeware utility
      junkie, I keep whacking out my system. Recently the W2K Nvidia drivers
      really put a kabash on a lot of basic functions, so I'm about ready to give
      W2K the heave-ho and move on to something not 4, almost 5 years old. C'est
      la vie, I guess.

      Fortunately those days are over for you. XP will not let that happen to you.]
      I use Nvidia drivers with dual monitors with no problems.

      Alec, thanks for the Avast endorsement. Un/reinstalling NAV had a really
      weird thing happen, where I would have told my clients (with barely
      disguised disgust), could NOT happen: Uninstall deleted my profile. Not
      just the NAV info, but everything. After working with a back-up copy of a 5
      year calendar, contacts, etc., being instructed yet again to un/reinstall
      NAV? When it couldn't locate my profile, it evidently took the initiative
      to search the networked drives, because it took my 2 back-ups with it. So
      if NAV gives me the least hint of trouble, it's history.

      I have been using CA's EZ Armor for several years now with great results.

      I chose it initially because most virii were directed towards NAV and McAfee, and no one paid attention to CA.

      I'll probably be back with questions. Particularly the security ones. I
      seem to recall there is a setting that will let me share Program Files, but
      I have to dig for it....

      Christine, I don't know all of the settings, but I do know a lot of them and you are free to contact me privately any time for info on those that you have questions about.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2004
        Jim,
        You're absolutely correct in that I didn't spend enough time learning XP.
        I had the disc in my drive and didn't look. I thought I was reinstalling
        2K, so was not mentally prepared to add anything new at that point. I was
        afraid something I needed would fall out of my brain if I stuck anything new
        in there. (a la Homer Simpson, I think.)

        I am glad to hear about the Nvidia drivers. This is a good video card that
        I hate to toss. I had a difficult time with a Jaton for several years
        previously, so I am used to being a little behind in my hardware
        installation!

        I had already decided I'd keep my remaining systems W2K, since I own those
        licenses and they're operating smoothly. I'm also keeping this thread for
        when I decide to try out new AntiVirus. I've kind of had it with Symantec.
        Reminds me of several other vendors that had great products and have gotten
        lazy. Plus, bless their soul, the kids in India have been trained to
        apologize (I hate gratuitous apologies) and send out inapplicable form
        letters. I get enough of that crap with my bank, don't want it with my
        software!

        I might be in touch, Jim. As I indicated to you earlier, I've completed my
        installation and am already receiving Windows-crashing errors when I try to
        rename a file or copy files to the hard drive. :(

        Thanks, all! I appreciate your opinions and experience!
        Christine
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9, 2004
          Scott wrote:

          > 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
          > Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
          > runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
          > an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
          > Java runtimes will be developed.

          I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
          to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
          current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
          libraries every so often, and various new web applets
          require the newer classes.

          Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 11 , May 10, 2004
            Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

            >Scott wrote:
            >

            >> 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
            >> Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
            >> runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
            >> an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
            >> Java runtimes will be developed.
            >>

            >I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
            >to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
            >current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
            >libraries every so often, and various new web applets
            >require the newer classes.

            My apologies for not making myself clear here. I'm referring
            to the crippling of Java and Netscape-style plugins in IE6,
            which is (still) an integral part of XP. Java support in Win2K
            is fine. I regularly update my Java VM with Sun's latest, but
            Java in XP and IE6 simply does or did not work as well as it
            does in Win2K. Admittedly, it can be argued that since the
            latest Windows/IE service pack, Java works somewhat better,
            but the fact remains that Microsoft did try to kill Java in
            XP by means of lack of support, Java is not supported in XP
            out of the box (and my mother is not going to download Sun's
            latest VM), and even with the latest VM, Java under XP can be
            dicier than with other OSs. What this means is that the Wal-
            Mart/BestBuy/family/grandma crowd are going to get machines
            that by default do not run Java well, which was Microsoft's
            intention. That is the arrogance and thuggishness to which I
            refer; Microsoft using monopoly advantage to cripple millions
            of web pages and undermine a worthwhile technology.

            Scott