Once Freeware always Freeware

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      This is actually a bit different...

      If I am not mistaken, all freeware remains freeware *for the
      release that is came out as freeware.* What I mean is if you have
      a copy of earlier versions of any freeware, it will always be
      freeware. The author can release the same version # as non-
      freeware, but the copy you have will remain freeware.

      Anyway, sometimes you can do a search for older versions and
      somebody might legally have it on their site because the
      documentation said it could be distributed freely.

      I'm a supporter of shareware, but sometimes they mess up the
      program as far as what I need and I need to stick with the
      version best suitable for me. If my conscious bothers me enough I
      can always buy the shareware (use the freeware) or send a
      contribution. :) But, I've never been bothered that much by it. <g>

      jody
      http://www.sojourner.us/software