Re: [NH] Delete last request please!

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2004
      Right so it is not free for those of us who are not students or otherwise in education in some manner. To me that means it is not free for me or others who are not in the educational field in the area of degree granting. But when I downloaded it, it was in a window that just stated it was free to use by a non business computer in a home environment ( I am paraphasing it as I remember reading it) In fact if it is to be used in a degree granting educational institution that would even leave out High Schools, grade schools both students and teachers. It has such a limited free use that I described as no longer being free.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        This is actually a bit different...

        If I am not mistaken, all freeware remains freeware *for the
        release that is came out as freeware.* What I mean is if you have
        a copy of earlier versions of any freeware, it will always be
        freeware. The author can release the same version # as non-
        freeware, but the copy you have will remain freeware.

        Anyway, sometimes you can do a search for older versions and
        somebody might legally have it on their site because the
        documentation said it could be distributed freely.

        I'm a supporter of shareware, but sometimes they mess up the
        program as far as what I need and I need to stick with the
        version best suitable for me. If my conscious bothers me enough I
        can always buy the shareware (use the freeware) or send a
        contribution. :) But, I've never been bothered that much by it. <g>

        jody
        http://www.sojourner.us/software