Re: [NTO] W2K Pro or XP

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2004
      Hi Christine:

      Sound reasoning (both pro and con) from the other guys on whether to go to
      WinXP from Win2K

      Re your primary reservation:
      > I do care about NAV compatibility, since I've had trouble with that
      > on W2K.

      I used to use NAV and (intensively) all the utilities that go with it, and
      then when my subscription ran out, switched to (in succession) AVG and then
      Avast free versions for virus checking. Both were perfectly good and update
      frequently which AFAIK is the key thing to look out for. I've since found
      (free) utility replacements for all the functions that Symantec System
      provides except for GhostIt which I haven't had cause to use yet - no
      writeable CD on either system - both laptops:-(

      FWIW - about 6 months after starting with NAV I bought into the idea that
      virus checking email on the way in isn't necessary - all that's needed is to
      make sure you are scanning EXE's and DLL's as they get started (usually
      called AutoProtect or some variant thereof)

      I'm currently running Avast in "display details mode" - it shows a one liner
      indicating each EXE that starts has been scanned which gives me a nice,
      warm, fuzzy feeling :-)

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2004
        Thanks, guys.
        You've kind of confirmed the things I either already knew or have read. I
        just hated XP Pro so much the 1st time I installed it, I was furious. I am
        going to have to find the settings that make it stop protecting me from
        myself. I prefer the ease of W2K, but being a share/freeware utility
        junkie, I keep whacking out my system. Recently the W2K Nvidia drivers
        really put a kabash on a lot of basic functions, so I'm about ready to give
        W2K the heave-ho and move on to something not 4, almost 5 years old. C'est
        la vie, I guess.

        Alec, thanks for the Avast endorsement. Un/reinstalling NAV had a really
        weird thing happen, where I would have told my clients (with barely
        disguised disgust), could NOT happen: Uninstall deleted my profile. Not
        just the NAV info, but everything. After working with a back-up copy of a 5
        year calendar, contacts, etc., being instructed yet again to un/reinstall
        NAV? When it couldn't locate my profile, it evidently took the initiative
        to search the networked drives, because it took my 2 back-ups with it. So
        if NAV gives me the least hint of trouble, it's history.

        I'll probably be back with questions. Particularly the security ones. I
        seem to recall there is a setting that will let me share Program Files, but
        I have to dig for it....

        Never a dull moment.

        Christine
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2004
          I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and have it set to never let XP call home or for that matter call anyone, in fact only the apps that I want to call out have the freedom to call out and only my browser have that freedom, most everything else I must approve or disapprove.
          Ed
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2004
            Christine,
            At 03:58 AM 5/6/2004, you wrote:
            Thanks, guys.
            You've kind of confirmed the things I either already knew or have read. I
            just hated XP Pro so much the 1st time I installed it, I was furious.

            My guess is that you didn't spend enough time with it to learn it.

            The same people who said Win 98 was lousy and 95 was great are still out there saying that XP is lousy and 2K is great.

            From my experience, most of them either have not spent the time to learn XP or have several systems and don't want to pay the license fees for their systems so they stay with a pirated version of 2K and put it on all their systems without paying for each system.

            I am going to have to find the settings that make it stop protecting me from
            myself. I prefer the ease of W2K, but being a share/freeware utility
            junkie, I keep whacking out my system. Recently the W2K Nvidia drivers
            really put a kabash on a lot of basic functions, so I'm about ready to give
            W2K the heave-ho and move on to something not 4, almost 5 years old. C'est
            la vie, I guess.

            Fortunately those days are over for you. XP will not let that happen to you.]
            I use Nvidia drivers with dual monitors with no problems.

            Alec, thanks for the Avast endorsement. Un/reinstalling NAV had a really
            weird thing happen, where I would have told my clients (with barely
            disguised disgust), could NOT happen: Uninstall deleted my profile. Not
            just the NAV info, but everything. After working with a back-up copy of a 5
            year calendar, contacts, etc., being instructed yet again to un/reinstall
            NAV? When it couldn't locate my profile, it evidently took the initiative
            to search the networked drives, because it took my 2 back-ups with it. So
            if NAV gives me the least hint of trouble, it's history.

            I have been using CA's EZ Armor for several years now with great results.

            I chose it initially because most virii were directed towards NAV and McAfee, and no one paid attention to CA.

            I'll probably be back with questions. Particularly the security ones. I
            seem to recall there is a setting that will let me share Program Files, but
            I have to dig for it....

            Christine, I don't know all of the settings, but I do know a lot of them and you are free to contact me privately any time for info on those that you have questions about.

            Regards,

            Jim
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2004
              Jim,
              You're absolutely correct in that I didn't spend enough time learning XP.
              I had the disc in my drive and didn't look. I thought I was reinstalling
              2K, so was not mentally prepared to add anything new at that point. I was
              afraid something I needed would fall out of my brain if I stuck anything new
              in there. (a la Homer Simpson, I think.)

              I am glad to hear about the Nvidia drivers. This is a good video card that
              I hate to toss. I had a difficult time with a Jaton for several years
              previously, so I am used to being a little behind in my hardware
              installation!

              I had already decided I'd keep my remaining systems W2K, since I own those
              licenses and they're operating smoothly. I'm also keeping this thread for
              when I decide to try out new AntiVirus. I've kind of had it with Symantec.
              Reminds me of several other vendors that had great products and have gotten
              lazy. Plus, bless their soul, the kids in India have been trained to
              apologize (I hate gratuitous apologies) and send out inapplicable form
              letters. I get enough of that crap with my bank, don't want it with my
              software!

              I might be in touch, Jim. As I indicated to you earlier, I've completed my
              installation and am already receiving Windows-crashing errors when I try to
              rename a file or copy files to the hard drive. :(

              Thanks, all! I appreciate your opinions and experience!
              Christine
            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9, 2004
                Scott wrote:

                > 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
                > Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
                > runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
                > an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
                > Java runtimes will be developed.

                I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
                to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
                current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
                libraries every so often, and various new web applets
                require the newer classes.

                Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 11 , May 10, 2004
                  Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

                  >Scott wrote:
                  >

                  >> 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
                  >> Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
                  >> runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
                  >> an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
                  >> Java runtimes will be developed.
                  >>

                  >I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
                  >to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
                  >current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
                  >libraries every so often, and various new web applets
                  >require the newer classes.

                  My apologies for not making myself clear here. I'm referring
                  to the crippling of Java and Netscape-style plugins in IE6,
                  which is (still) an integral part of XP. Java support in Win2K
                  is fine. I regularly update my Java VM with Sun's latest, but
                  Java in XP and IE6 simply does or did not work as well as it
                  does in Win2K. Admittedly, it can be argued that since the
                  latest Windows/IE service pack, Java works somewhat better,
                  but the fact remains that Microsoft did try to kill Java in
                  XP by means of lack of support, Java is not supported in XP
                  out of the box (and my mother is not going to download Sun's
                  latest VM), and even with the latest VM, Java under XP can be
                  dicier than with other OSs. What this means is that the Wal-
                  Mart/BestBuy/family/grandma crowd are going to get machines
                  that by default do not run Java well, which was Microsoft's
                  intention. That is the arrogance and thuggishness to which I
                  refer; Microsoft using monopoly advantage to cripple millions
                  of web pages and undermine a worthwhile technology.

                  Scott