Re: [NTO] recovering deleted files within NoteTab

  • blake mooney
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2004
      Thanks for the suggestions. And Fay, do you mean that one can use "ctrl + z"
      while in NoteTab and recover a deleted file? That is, if they do it
      immediately?
      R. B. Mooney

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2004
        Hi R. B.,

        At 11:05 PM 5/4/04 -0500, you wrote:
        >Thanks for the suggestions. And Fay, do you mean that one can use "ctrl + z"
        >while in NoteTab and recover a deleted file? That is, if they do it
        >immediately?
        >R. B. Mooney

        I am not Fay but I have information on this. Ctrl+z does not recover
        deleted files. I do not know what you did but I guess that Fay thinks that
        you accidentally cleared out the text in an unsaved new file and I suspect
        that you did that also. You did not delete a file. The file does not
        exist except as a special temporary file which NoteTab creates everytime
        you start typing, pasting or otherwise adding text/content to a new unsaved
        file. It creates a temporary file called efo~n.txt or whatever extension
        the file will have and it generates a number in the place of the n using
        its own rules. When you save the file, it deletes the temporary efo file
        and replaces it with the permanent new file with the name you gave it in
        the folder you saved it to. If you do not save the file and you close it,
        then that temporary file is deleted but if you just clear out the text in
        the file, the temporary file is still there with the original text until
        you start typing again or until you close the unsave file.

        NoteTab, like many other programs, has an undo feature which allows you to
        recover from your mistakes if you use it right away after you make the
        mistake. NoteTab Pro actually has an even better undo feature which stores
        multiple changes in memory and you can undo them in sequence by hitting the
        undo button on the toolbar or selecting Edit/Undo on the menu bar or
        pressing Ctrl+z.

        Exzmple assuming that you accidentally selected all the text and pressed
        the delete key:

        Your document is now blank but it has not been deleted. The text that was
        in the document is stored in the undo buffer in memory. You press Ctrl+z
        and it is restored back to the open document where it was.

        From your description, it sounds also as if you might have gotten a finger
        on the Enter or Return key with out realizing it in which case the text
        would have been scrolled upward out of sight as NoteTab started massively
        dumping hard breaks/blank lines into the document and you mistook that for
        clearing out the file. In that case you should have dragged the scroll bar
        back to the top to see if the text was still there before closing the
        document.

        My problem with this is that I have slipped off the scroll bar many many
        times and I have never had a file clear out on me as you described although
        I have had the text do a sudden jump out of sight and a blank area of the
        document suddenly appear but as I said, I just dragged the scroll bar back
        to where it was and there the text was, just where I left it.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • blake mooney
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2004
          Hi Larry,
          Thanks for the info on recovering "lost" files in NoteTab. Now I will type
          a paragraph and accidentally remove it. It may take several diff. ways to
          duplicate something approaching what I think I did. If you're correct, then
          I should be able to "see" the text after scrolling up. If the text is gone
          completely, I will try your routine as well as Kay's. But that may tell me
          nothing as it's a different day and different circumstances. Maybe that
          accounts for my interest in Heisenberg. I'll get back to you and let all
          know how it went. Thanks much.