Re: [NTO] recovering deleted files within NoteTab

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 5:04 PM
      Unfortunately you fell into the common trap of not creating a file first.
      Had you done that then recovery would have been a simple procedure. Sorry!!

      Take care. Barry UK

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 9:05 PM
        Thanks for the suggestions. And Fay, do you mean that one can use "ctrl + z"
        while in NoteTab and recover a deleted file? That is, if they do it
        immediately?
        R. B. Mooney

        > >I accidentally deleted a 700 word article
        >
        > How horrible!
        >
        > If something like that happens again, ctrl+z should bring it back if you
        do
        > it straight away.
        >
        > Fay

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 10:29 PM
          Hi R. B.,

          At 11:05 PM 5/4/04 -0500, you wrote:
          >Thanks for the suggestions. And Fay, do you mean that one can use "ctrl + z"
          >while in NoteTab and recover a deleted file? That is, if they do it
          >immediately?
          >R. B. Mooney

          I am not Fay but I have information on this. Ctrl+z does not recover
          deleted files. I do not know what you did but I guess that Fay thinks that
          you accidentally cleared out the text in an unsaved new file and I suspect
          that you did that also. You did not delete a file. The file does not
          exist except as a special temporary file which NoteTab creates everytime
          you start typing, pasting or otherwise adding text/content to a new unsaved
          file. It creates a temporary file called efo~n.txt or whatever extension
          the file will have and it generates a number in the place of the n using
          its own rules. When you save the file, it deletes the temporary efo file
          and replaces it with the permanent new file with the name you gave it in
          the folder you saved it to. If you do not save the file and you close it,
          then that temporary file is deleted but if you just clear out the text in
          the file, the temporary file is still there with the original text until
          you start typing again or until you close the unsave file.

          NoteTab, like many other programs, has an undo feature which allows you to
          recover from your mistakes if you use it right away after you make the
          mistake. NoteTab Pro actually has an even better undo feature which stores
          multiple changes in memory and you can undo them in sequence by hitting the
          undo button on the toolbar or selecting Edit/Undo on the menu bar or
          pressing Ctrl+z.

          Exzmple assuming that you accidentally selected all the text and pressed
          the delete key:

          Your document is now blank but it has not been deleted. The text that was
          in the document is stored in the undo buffer in memory. You press Ctrl+z
          and it is restored back to the open document where it was.

          From your description, it sounds also as if you might have gotten a finger
          on the Enter or Return key with out realizing it in which case the text
          would have been scrolled upward out of sight as NoteTab started massively
          dumping hard breaks/blank lines into the document and you mistook that for
          clearing out the file. In that case you should have dragged the scroll bar
          back to the top to see if the text was still there before closing the
          document.

          My problem with this is that I have slipped off the scroll bar many many
          times and I have never had a file clear out on me as you described although
          I have had the text do a sudden jump out of sight and a blank area of the
          document suddenly appear but as I said, I just dragged the scroll bar back
          to where it was and there the text was, just where I left it.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • blake mooney
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5 7:06 AM
            Hi Larry,
            Thanks for the info on recovering "lost" files in NoteTab. Now I will type
            a paragraph and accidentally remove it. It may take several diff. ways to
            duplicate something approaching what I think I did. If you're correct, then
            I should be able to "see" the text after scrolling up. If the text is gone
            completely, I will try your routine as well as Kay's. But that may tell me
            nothing as it's a different day and different circumstances. Maybe that
            accounts for my interest in Heisenberg. I'll get back to you and let all
            know how it went. Thanks much.