Re: [NTO] W2K Pro or XP

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2004
      Jim/Christine,

      Windows XP Home DOES have System Restore. It does not install MS Backup, and
      you can only get it if you get a regular Win XP Home CD. I bought an
      eMachine a couple of years ago and their OEM CD does not include the
      "extras", that in my opinion should be basic. From what I hear other brands
      of OEM CDs also are like this. Other than this I have been pleased with my
      eMachine. (I fear now that Gateway has bought them, they will kill the
      golden goose, since they seem to be wasting the rest of their company on
      poor decisions. Dell now has some pretty good deals, that compete with
      eMachines. We use Dell at work and I would buy a Dell in a minute, if I had
      the cash.)

      XP Home also does not have some of the security features so you can set up
      users as Power Users, they are either a full-blown admin or what XP Home
      calls a Limited user. There are some games my kids can't play unless I log
      them in as admin.

      If you don't need the power of XP Pro, XP Home is much cheaper, but if you
      are just buying XP to upgrade, and have the cash, I would recommend XP Pro.

      One thing to keep in mind. XP was designed so that it requires at least 15%
      free space on the hard drive. If you do not have at least this much free,
      disk defragmentation is not efficient. This is one of my biggest gripes, why
      can't I use any part of that 15%? A 20 GB hard drive wastes 3 GB. I have
      found if I dip into this 15% that Windows slows down. (I dual boot Linux and
      that partition only has about 100 MB free and it flies. Usually free does
      not mean better. Oh, well....)

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2004
        Hi Christine:

        Sound reasoning (both pro and con) from the other guys on whether to go to
        WinXP from Win2K

        Re your primary reservation:
        > I do care about NAV compatibility, since I've had trouble with that
        > on W2K.

        I used to use NAV and (intensively) all the utilities that go with it, and
        then when my subscription ran out, switched to (in succession) AVG and then
        Avast free versions for virus checking. Both were perfectly good and update
        frequently which AFAIK is the key thing to look out for. I've since found
        (free) utility replacements for all the functions that Symantec System
        provides except for GhostIt which I haven't had cause to use yet - no
        writeable CD on either system - both laptops:-(

        FWIW - about 6 months after starting with NAV I bought into the idea that
        virus checking email on the way in isn't necessary - all that's needed is to
        make sure you are scanning EXE's and DLL's as they get started (usually
        called AutoProtect or some variant thereof)

        I'm currently running Avast in "display details mode" - it shows a one liner
        indicating each EXE that starts has been scanned which gives me a nice,
        warm, fuzzy feeling :-)

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2004
          Thanks, guys.
          You've kind of confirmed the things I either already knew or have read. I
          just hated XP Pro so much the 1st time I installed it, I was furious. I am
          going to have to find the settings that make it stop protecting me from
          myself. I prefer the ease of W2K, but being a share/freeware utility
          junkie, I keep whacking out my system. Recently the W2K Nvidia drivers
          really put a kabash on a lot of basic functions, so I'm about ready to give
          W2K the heave-ho and move on to something not 4, almost 5 years old. C'est
          la vie, I guess.

          Alec, thanks for the Avast endorsement. Un/reinstalling NAV had a really
          weird thing happen, where I would have told my clients (with barely
          disguised disgust), could NOT happen: Uninstall deleted my profile. Not
          just the NAV info, but everything. After working with a back-up copy of a 5
          year calendar, contacts, etc., being instructed yet again to un/reinstall
          NAV? When it couldn't locate my profile, it evidently took the initiative
          to search the networked drives, because it took my 2 back-ups with it. So
          if NAV gives me the least hint of trouble, it's history.

          I'll probably be back with questions. Particularly the security ones. I
          seem to recall there is a setting that will let me share Program Files, but
          I have to dig for it....

          Never a dull moment.

          Christine
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2004
            I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and have it set to never let XP call home or for that matter call anyone, in fact only the apps that I want to call out have the freedom to call out and only my browser have that freedom, most everything else I must approve or disapprove.
            Ed
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2004
              Christine,
              At 03:58 AM 5/6/2004, you wrote:
              Thanks, guys.
              You've kind of confirmed the things I either already knew or have read. I
              just hated XP Pro so much the 1st time I installed it, I was furious.

              My guess is that you didn't spend enough time with it to learn it.

              The same people who said Win 98 was lousy and 95 was great are still out there saying that XP is lousy and 2K is great.

              From my experience, most of them either have not spent the time to learn XP or have several systems and don't want to pay the license fees for their systems so they stay with a pirated version of 2K and put it on all their systems without paying for each system.

              I am going to have to find the settings that make it stop protecting me from
              myself. I prefer the ease of W2K, but being a share/freeware utility
              junkie, I keep whacking out my system. Recently the W2K Nvidia drivers
              really put a kabash on a lot of basic functions, so I'm about ready to give
              W2K the heave-ho and move on to something not 4, almost 5 years old. C'est
              la vie, I guess.

              Fortunately those days are over for you. XP will not let that happen to you.]
              I use Nvidia drivers with dual monitors with no problems.

              Alec, thanks for the Avast endorsement. Un/reinstalling NAV had a really
              weird thing happen, where I would have told my clients (with barely
              disguised disgust), could NOT happen: Uninstall deleted my profile. Not
              just the NAV info, but everything. After working with a back-up copy of a 5
              year calendar, contacts, etc., being instructed yet again to un/reinstall
              NAV? When it couldn't locate my profile, it evidently took the initiative
              to search the networked drives, because it took my 2 back-ups with it. So
              if NAV gives me the least hint of trouble, it's history.

              I have been using CA's EZ Armor for several years now with great results.

              I chose it initially because most virii were directed towards NAV and McAfee, and no one paid attention to CA.

              I'll probably be back with questions. Particularly the security ones. I
              seem to recall there is a setting that will let me share Program Files, but
              I have to dig for it....

              Christine, I don't know all of the settings, but I do know a lot of them and you are free to contact me privately any time for info on those that you have questions about.

              Regards,

              Jim
            • Christine
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                Jim,
                You're absolutely correct in that I didn't spend enough time learning XP.
                I had the disc in my drive and didn't look. I thought I was reinstalling
                2K, so was not mentally prepared to add anything new at that point. I was
                afraid something I needed would fall out of my brain if I stuck anything new
                in there. (a la Homer Simpson, I think.)

                I am glad to hear about the Nvidia drivers. This is a good video card that
                I hate to toss. I had a difficult time with a Jaton for several years
                previously, so I am used to being a little behind in my hardware
                installation!

                I had already decided I'd keep my remaining systems W2K, since I own those
                licenses and they're operating smoothly. I'm also keeping this thread for
                when I decide to try out new AntiVirus. I've kind of had it with Symantec.
                Reminds me of several other vendors that had great products and have gotten
                lazy. Plus, bless their soul, the kids in India have been trained to
                apologize (I hate gratuitous apologies) and send out inapplicable form
                letters. I get enough of that crap with my bank, don't want it with my
                software!

                I might be in touch, Jim. As I indicated to you earlier, I've completed my
                installation and am already receiving Windows-crashing errors when I try to
                rename a file or copy files to the hard drive. :(

                Thanks, all! I appreciate your opinions and experience!
                Christine
              • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 9, 2004
                  Scott wrote:

                  > 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
                  > Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
                  > runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
                  > an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
                  > Java runtimes will be developed.

                  I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
                  to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
                  current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
                  libraries every so often, and various new web applets
                  require the newer classes.

                  Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                • Scott Fordin
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2004
                    Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

                    >Scott wrote:
                    >

                    >> 2. I object to the thuggish and arrogant lack of support for
                    >> Java and Netscape-style plugins. Oh, you can get a Java
                    >> runtime for XP, but it's pretty crippled. Now that there's
                    >> an accord between Microsoft and Sun, maybe some better
                    >> Java runtimes will be developed.
                    >>

                    >I seem to be missing something here. Why would you want
                    >to use the old Java runtime from Win2000 rather than the
                    >current runtime from Sun's site? Sun updates the class
                    >libraries every so often, and various new web applets
                    >require the newer classes.

                    My apologies for not making myself clear here. I'm referring
                    to the crippling of Java and Netscape-style plugins in IE6,
                    which is (still) an integral part of XP. Java support in Win2K
                    is fine. I regularly update my Java VM with Sun's latest, but
                    Java in XP and IE6 simply does or did not work as well as it
                    does in Win2K. Admittedly, it can be argued that since the
                    latest Windows/IE service pack, Java works somewhat better,
                    but the fact remains that Microsoft did try to kill Java in
                    XP by means of lack of support, Java is not supported in XP
                    out of the box (and my mother is not going to download Sun's
                    latest VM), and even with the latest VM, Java under XP can be
                    dicier than with other OSs. What this means is that the Wal-
                    Mart/BestBuy/family/grandma crowd are going to get machines
                    that by default do not run Java well, which was Microsoft's
                    intention. That is the arrogance and thuggishness to which I
                    refer; Microsoft using monopoly advantage to cripple millions
                    of web pages and undermine a worthwhile technology.

                    Scott