Re: [NTO] System Restore

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2004
      From: Brian Binder
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:41 PM
      Subject: RE: [NTO] System Restore

      Do you see the file @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe ? What happens
      when you try to open it? Does it stall?
      I found it using explorer and tried to run it. When I click on it the hour glass starts turning for a few seconds and then just stops. It just says \rstrui and does not have .exe added to it.

      Does it show up in Task Manager?
      No

      Have you downloaded and tried Stinger from
      http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe to see if it finds
      a worm or exploited file?
      Yes I did that yesterday and again this morning, it says your files are clean. Actually it gives a number 6,000 + clean files.
      Give it a shot to see if it finds anything bad on your PC.
      The PC is CLEAN according to several different antivirus programs. BUT, the other day it was not, had a virus and when it was removed it had to take some files with it. I am wondering if perhaps this may have been the file or one of the files that was removed. Can you put the Windows XP installation CD in and repair the corrupted files using it. I may had better start downloading all the file that I want and do a format and re-installation of XP. Drat, I hate to do that.
      Ed
      Brian