RE: [NTO] System Restore

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      What 'approved' ways?

      Error messages? Logged in as administrator?

      I cannot get to system restore in any of the approved ways in Windows XP
      Pro. Any ideas?
      Ed
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        Any that is approved by microsoft

        Error messages? Logged in as administrator?

        I cannot get to system restore in any of the approved ways in Windows XP
        Pro. Any ideas?
        Ed

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          I went to their site and they gave me 3 or 4 different ways to get to system restore and shut it down, me thinks there is a virus hiding in it. So good bye system restore, except the darn thing is not there, not here, no where and has completely disappeared. The help has suddenly ceased to work it freezes up. Have to do a ctrl, alt, delete and then I find help is not responding and I tried that 3 times never will respond and ceases to work shortly after I bring it up., I tried to install new updates and they stop responding also. I have checked the computer for viruses with a couple of free on line virus checkers that is supposed to find this most evil and latest virus that if you are on the internet it may find and get in your computer unless you firewall is working. Mine was not because for some reason it stopped loading on startup and I had not notice that until much later tonight. Nothing finds the virus, but the computer is just about to cease to function.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            Tried just about every thing you have listed and more too. It is late and I have beat my brains out, if there was any there, so I am going to bed. I will have another go in the morning.
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Do you see the file @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe ? What happens
              when you try to open it? Does it stall? Does it show up in Task Manager?

              Have you downloaded and tried Stinger from
              http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe to see if it finds
              a worm or exploited file?

              Give it a shot to see if it finds anything bad on your PC.

              Brian

              Tried just about every thing you have listed and more too. It is late and I
              have beat my brains out, if there was any there, so I am going to bed. I
              will have another go in the morning.
              >I cannot get to system restore in any of the approved ways in Windows XP
              >Pro. Any ideas?

              I don't know what you mean by approved ways but here are 4 ways to get
              there Microsoft's Windows XP Pro.
              If you have a Compaq for example and have their customized XP Pro, the
              Help and support menu will be a little different.

              START>HELP AND SUPPORT then click on the little house icon for the home
              page, then on the right side, click on the

              UNDO CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER WITH SYSTEM RESTORE

              Another way to get here is to left click in the middle of your desktop and
              press F1

              Another way is to go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>SYSTEM
              RESTORE

              And if all else fails, launch

              C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

              Regards,

              Jim

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2004
                I found it using explorer and tried to run it. When I click on it the hour glass starts turning for a few seconds and then just stops. It just says \rstrui and does not have .exe added to it.

                Does it show up in Task Manager?
                No

                Have you downloaded and tried Stinger from
                http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe to see if it finds
                a worm or exploited file?
                Yes I did that yesterday and again this morning, it says your files are clean. Actually it gives a number 6,000 + clean files.
                Give it a shot to see if it finds anything bad on your PC.
                The PC is CLEAN according to several different antivirus programs. BUT, the other day it was not, had a virus and when it was removed it had to take some files with it. I am wondering if perhaps this may have been the file or one of the files that was removed. Can you put the Windows XP installation CD in and repair the corrupted files using it. I may had better start downloading all the file that I want and do a format and re-installation of XP. Drat, I hate to do that.
                Ed
                Brian