Norton install problems revisited.

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2004
      Ok I have the problem still, but I now know more about it.

      Apparently this is why it will not load.

      THE norton requires MSIE 6.0 SP1 to be installed.

      IT is but somehow it isn't registering, what I have found is that MSIE
      has been subjugated by a copy of MSIE verson five, ( unknown location on
      Computer) that comes up and resets itself to porn sites as a homepage.

      When I look to remove this there is no MSIE in the uninstall group.

      I try to reupgrade to MSIE 6.0 SP1 from MS Windows update, but it says
      I apparently have all the correct files, but update fails.

      I am thinking there is some virus that is using this to defeat my
      antivirus. Although I can find no reference to anything like this on the
      net, and my computer comes up clean on internet based anti virus
      chrckers, nortons will not load from the net (antivirus) because the
      non-registry of IE 6.0.

      $300 in the shop hasn't solved or IDed the problem, and reformat also
      didn't eradicate it, but the tech backloaded my data files after the
      reformat. The same files are on the main computer, and Nortons 2002 runs
      on that one.

      Any Ideas?

      Jeff
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
        On 28 Apr 2004 at 22:06, Jeff Scism wrote:

        > IT is but somehow it isn't registering, what I have found is that MSIE has
        > been subjugated by a copy of MSIE verson five, ( unknown location on
        > Computer) that comes up and resets itself to porn sites as a homepage.

        Take a look at Spybot Search and Destroy and/or Ad-aware. This sounds like
        a little batch file or the like lurking about (probably hidden) that is the
        real problem. I recently ran Spybot on my mother-in-law's PC and found a
        number of these hiding out in some really strange places. Removing them
        fixed some problems that she had been having, though none related to your
        problem with installing Norton (she already had it installed). And no,
        Norton nor any other anti-virus software could find them - they did not
        qualify for the typical virus, etc. They do qualify as adware/malware,
        which is why Spybot and Ad-aware both found and removed them.

        --
        Robert

        All thought is naught but a footnote to Plato. George Santiano
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
          Sounds like spyware or a "browser helper object".
          Run all of these and one should find it.
          SpyBot search and destroy.
          Adaware from Lavasoft.
          Hijack This.
          CW Shredder.
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
            I run both Spybot and Adaware, and only have found malicious ads, I ran
            another On-line based checker and it indicated a MiMail32.c
            infection. also something called BRIDGE, I ran the Symantec removal
            tool for Mimail32.c worm, and it says "No infection" The only "Bridge"
            files I can find are in teh Games folder, and I deleted the dll file but
            now get a registry start error on the "missing" file.

            I successfully got MSIE to update this morning, Nortons trys to install
            and I now get a M-18 CAB error, file is corrupt. error.
            Iyt advised reloading windows, so I did a reinstall of windows and now I
            am back to square 1, MSIE will not update again. I had to do the Windows
            reload because MS Win Update would not detect the needed updates.
            (MSIE had registered, but Windows update was now disabled).

            Something smells big time ( I was able to upload the MSIE the first
            time because I had copied my registry from the PC to the Laptop and
            convinced it that it was the PC...) Risky, but last resorts often are.

            --
            ``

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
            If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
            and tell us what REALLY happened.
            ~~~~
          • Jeff Scism