Re: [NTO] Looking for free Adaware type program

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
      I too have had great success at home and at work with Spybot Search &
      Destroy. It finds things that some virus scanners do not.

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2004
        Bloodhound is a part of Norton antivirus. it looks for activity that MAY
        be virus activity, and MAY NOT be "officially" discovered and protected
        against by the latest NAV updates.

        Basically the NAV program is telling you the program it "saw" is one
        capable of changing system files, which Spybot IS designed to do.

        Deleting the icon from your system tray still leaves the program in
        system, and the systray icon has a built in NAV "exception" that makes
        spybot invisible to NAV, as far as calling false hits.

        So when you remove the icon, NAV declares a "found" process that MAY be
        hostile, and Bloodhound Hueristics kicks in.

        You can either leave it on the tray, or you can lower your BLOODHOOD
        sensitivity in NAV setup.

        --
        ``

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
        If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
        and tell us what REALLY happened.
        ~~~~
      • Mordechai
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2004
          Hello Roger,
          This message of yours made me curious about "SpyBot S&D", as I had a
          After Installing this SpyBot and making the first scan, it had reported that
          "BPS" uses a stollen database from SpyBot and I should stop using BPS.
          This was a by-the-way story.
          The real one is that I am looking how to make contact with "SpyBot" authors
          but all my searches leaded to closed links, I can only download the program
          file, I was lookin in the help file and also found nothing.
          Well, maybe you know something about the following:
          After SpyBot installation, some day I had to reboot (for other reason) I
          noticed a new icon in the system tray, "SpyBot" was there - started on
          reboot even I have not configured it such. So I right-clicked on the icon,
          and asked it politely to exit, as soon as it went away, I got an allert
          message from "Norton AntiVirus" found a virus "BLOODHOUND.EXPLOIT.6". Going
          to "Symantec" site looking for this issue, it linked to "Microsoft" site to
          download & install a security patch. After installation I was asked to
          reboot and here was this icon again in the tray. Again I closed it and again
          there was the allert message from "NAV" with the same virus.
          (As long as the icon stays in the tray there is no virus present :-?).
          Before going to sleep, I left "NAV" to make a complete scan on the PC, in
          the morning when the scan was finished - it had nothing to report (not even
          anything to repair or delete).
          Well, this was the story, and I write to you perhaps you have the e-mail of
          "SpyBot" author, (as I said I made a whole search and all links leaded to
          closed pages.) I want to ask him about this.
          Thanks and Regards
          Mordechai

          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2004
            If you want to contact the author of Spybot email spybotsd@...

            Take care. Barry UK
          • blake mooney
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2004
              Jeffery,
              What you said and the question that prompted it, and the fact that I have
              SpyBot on board but seldom activate it due to "probably" conflicts with
              other anti-spyware I have active, makes me wonder if that could be a
              possible cause why my computer has slowed so much. I mean to say, is it
              possible that similar but distinct programs could "read" each other as a
              "troublemaker" and suggest that the owner delete the "weaker" or less active
              one? Can I have SpyBot along with Ad-Aware 6.0, PestPatrol and its
              components, TuneUp Utilities, and my antivirus software all active
              simultaneously, or does one merely content themselves by activating fulltime
              only their antivirus program? Is it best, if this latter assumption is
              worthy, to simply utilize the others on a "need-to-use basis" or some kind
              of weekly schedule?
              Thanks,
              rbmooney
              /ps/ I must say that I have never been on a group site where the people are
              so intelligent and far advanced. Two key and exceptional characteristics I
              found about this group--the short time I've been a member--are the
              generosity and patience of the members. Thank you all for that.
              rbmooney

              > Bloodhound is a part of Norton antivirus. it looks for activity that MAY
              > be virus activity, and MAY NOT be "officially" discovered and protected
              > against by the latest NAV updates.
              >
              > Basically the NAV program is telling you the program it "saw" is one
              > capable of changing system files, which Spybot IS designed to do.
              >
              > Deleting the icon from your system tray still leaves the program in
              > system, and the systray icon has a built in NAV "exception" that makes
              > spybot invisible to NAV, as far as calling false hits.
              >
              > So when you remove the icon, NAV declares a "found" process that MAY be
              > hostile, and Bloodhound Hueristics kicks in.
              >
              > You can either leave it on the tray, or you can lower your BLOODHOOD
              > sensitivity in NAV setup.
              >
              > --
              > ``
              >
              > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
              >
              > Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
              > If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
              > and tell us what REALLY happened.
              > ~~~~
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                There are always compatibility problems that may occur if too many
                things are running "in the background" it uses up your resources, and
                slowing can easily occur. (Especially in Windows versions previous to XP).

                Some anti-virus programs will not run concurrently, and I am sure the
                anti-malware ones are the same, they attempt to see each other as what
                they are trying to remove, programs which change your system files.

                I would pick ONE and run it by itself, rather than several, more at once
                isn't necessarily a good thing.

                (They may cancel each other, or corrupt your system files)

                --
                ``

                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                  PestPatrol is well known for it's ability to slow down some operating
                  systems.

                  <I have never been on a group site where the people are so intelligent and
                  far advanced.> Don't cheer just throw money. <g>

                  Take care. Barry UK