[NTO] Languages?

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2000

      Alle 16.29 Thursday 08/06/2000 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

      >Just use G rated (as in family) content when posting please. ;->

      I'll do, as you can see in the msg I sent you privately 2 minutes ago!

      BTW, is there a program to check the language rate?
      My English isn't native, so I risk always to say what we Italians call
      "Roma per toma" (Rome for cheese, but in Italian has another sound...)
      And to learn English through Bukowski, Kerouac, Ginsberg and printer
      manuals can give me some problems ;-)

      I try to read "Alice in Wonderland" in the original text but it's beyond my
      knowledge of English: now I'm downloading "The Return of Sherlock Holmes"
      and "Three Men in a Boat" to see if I can read them.

      Who need to read a nice book I suggest "The wonderful adventures of Nils"
      by Selma Lagerlof: maybe Lotta remember it :-)
      The original Swedish is "Nils Holgerssons underbara resa genom Sverige" and
      it's at http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/nilsholg/ but it's still
      copyrighted until 2010: can you wait?

      Oh, I forget: who need an easy and powerful online translator (free!) must see:
      http://wordreference.com/

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2000
        Marco Bernardini wrote:

        > My English isn't native,
        > And to learn English through Bukowski, Kerouac, Ginsberg and printer
        > manuals can give me some problems ;-)

        May I suggest some Ernest Hemingway? Clean, sparse, crisp writing with
        a "manly" flavor... but an excellent user of the language. Easy to
        read and quite powerful... especially his later works.

        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000

          Alle 22.13 Thursday 08/06/2000 -0400, Carl Swann ha mandato a Marco questo
          messaggio:

          >May I suggest some Ernest Hemingway?

          Thanks!
          Must try.
          Knowing E.H. style I think he'll can be a perfect e-mail writer... short
          phrases, no frills. Easy to quote :-)
          The problem is we must wait 2031 before the copyright falls and his works
          can be found freely on the net.

          On my site I'm translating some works of our local writer, Giovanni Boine,
          but I find his early-1900 style too much "sugared": he speaks of
          pitchforks, but I guess he never used one...
          http://www.taggiasca.com/e/boine.htm

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000
            Hi,

            Please excuse a simple peasant from across the ocean, but what is G rated?
            A censorship thing for films?

            > >Just use G rated (as in family) content when posting please. ;->

            Ignorance, thine name is Lotta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000
              Hi Lotta,

              > Please excuse a simple peasant from across the ocean, but what
              > is G rated? A censorship thing for films?
              >
              >> Just use G rated (as in family) content when posting please. ;->

              Yes, it goes something like this, but it is not exact. It has
              been so long since I have been to a movie and they probably use
              different wording and maybe a different rating now.

              G = All ages
              PG13 = parental guidance and really not suitable for ages under 13.
              PG = parental guidance up to some age. <g> I think about 16.
              R = Restricted. Adult entertainment. Heavy violence, sex,
              cussing. It does not have to have all three. Just a real
              gory war movie could do it, or just one with a lot of obscene
              language, or sex scenes.
              XXX = porno.

              The rating is really messed up though. I have seen G rated
              movies that have some "hidden" stuff in them like the Disney
              movies that should be rated PG13 at least in my opinion. Then I
              have a PG movie that the only reason why it got that rating is
              because a dog was kicked and there was animal trapping by the
              same guy that kicked the dog. Some dogs need to be kicked. LOL

              mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000
                Jody,

                Thanks you. I thought it might be something like that. XXX I've heard. I
                was confused, though, since I
                find Marco pretty G rated. Am I missing out? LOL

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000
                  Hi Lotta,

                  > Iwas confused, though, since I find Marco pretty G rated. Am I
                  > missing out? LOL

                  No, you did not miss anything. ;) Marco has been G rated. I
                  think there was one time an acronym that is somewhat accepted was
                  posted and repeated a few times and you will see it from time to
                  time on the lists. It is not a nice one and I certainly would
                  not tell my boy what it means. ;) What is "PG" rated to me might
                  be a "G" rating to somebody else. As time goes on morals sink
                  lower and lower and things become accepted. The US was shocked
                  when "Gone with the Wind" came out about 40-50 years ago it seems
                  and what's his name said something like "Frankly my dear, I don't
                  give a damn." Today that is accepted on regular TV, but there
                  was a very big controversy about it when the movie came out.
                  That is one of the reasons my kids don't watch TV - well, mainly
                  because I messed up the channels so we don't get reception. <g>
                  They hear enough of it anyway; they don't need to hear it in our
                  own home.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000

                    Alle 04.38 Friday 09/06/2000 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                    >R = Restricted. Adult entertainment. Heavy violence, sex,
                    > cussing.

                    I guess our "middle" schools (11-14 yrs) can be at least classified "T" ...

                    Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 9, 2000
                      Hi Marco

                      >>R = Restricted. Adult entertainment. Heavy violence, sex,
                      >> cussing.
                      >
                      >I guess our "middle" schools (11-14 yrs) can be at least classified "T" ...

                      And what would that equal?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 10, 2000

                        Alle 00.36 Saturday 10/06/2000 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                        > >>R = Restricted.
                        > >I guess our "middle" schools (11-14 yrs) can be at least classified "T" ...
                        >And what would that equal?

                        Hmmm, I see if I remember algebra...

                        If
                        R = 50
                        XXX = 100

                        Must be T = 66.67

                        Thus, young boys are over-rated...
                        Usually almost everything classified PG (or more) is used by them, while an
                        adult don't look.
                        And seems they don't care a lot about this: their language has other
                        meanings beyond "default values", so all these words like these used in
                        "Gone with the Wind" (or much heavier) becomes just words.

                        Of course some youngs thinks it's better to avoid these words while "in
                        family" because parents use their original meaning.

                        Just to make a clean sample, if you ask a skilled Excel user a pie he don't
                        take flour: he makes a round graphic... because the meaning of "pie" is
                        changed.
                        Try to ask a net administrator what he thinks at first when you say "The
                        sun is going down" :-)

                        So a lot of other words change meaning over the time and by the people
                        using them.

                        SETI project must change a web page because it contains the term "naked
                        eye": they must swap to "unaided eye" because some silly programs thinks a
                        "naked eye" is a depravate thing.

                        Bye!

                        Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 10, 2000
                          Hi Marco,

                          > If
                          > R = 50
                          > XXX = 100
                          >
                          > Must be T = 66.67
                          >
                          > Thus, young boys are over-rated...
                          >
                          > Of course some youngs thinks it's better to avoid these words
                          > while "in family" because parents use their original meaning.

                          Very true. If one uses the same word over and over, they become
                          desensitized to that word. It is like Bandura's teaching if you
                          have ever studied his works. Yet, the child knows what the word
                          means and knows, that if he calls his mother that his dad will
                          be all over him - outside the house though it is cool to use
                          around his buddies and used so often that it really doesn't mean
                          anything to them.

                          > SETI project must change a web page because it contains the
                          > term "naked eye": they must swap to "unaided eye" because some
                          > silly programs thinks a "naked eye" is a depravate thing.

                          That's a real laugh. "Naked eye" is used quite often in English
                          literature. ;)

                          I'm not one for censorship myself; I believe in freedom of speech.
                          However, don't force it on me and don't use certain languages when
                          in public places where it offends people.

                          Bye for now,
                          Jody Adair
                          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 10, 2000
                            Hi Marco,

                            I wrote:
                            I'm not one for censorship myself; I believe in freedom of speech.
                            However, don't force it on me and don't use certain language when
                            in public places where it offends people.

                            I now write:
                            I did not mean the above as in it can't be said. Say what you want,
                            but if one is in a place where the establishment forbids foul
                            language like the NoteTab lists, ;), then don't use it unless you
                            are prepared to suffer the consequences.

                            mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...