Looking for free Adaware type program

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
      because Adaware keeps locking up on my computer! It is the latest reference
      file. Any ideas?

      tia,
      Julie
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
        Thank you Roger! Spybot managed to get rid of stuff and more after a reboot
        , then I could run Adaware all the way through, and it found still other
        things. I think one of the kids clicked on something they shouldn't have!

        Julie

        >In article <5.1.0.14.2.20040419083215.00b31d80@127.0.0.1>, Julie wrote:
        > > because Adaware keeps locking up on my computer! It is the latest
        > reference
        > > file. Any ideas?
        >
        >Try Spybot Search & Destroy. Despite the silly name, it's good (and free).
        >You
        >can get it here - http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download .
      • Roger Whitehead
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
          In article <5.1.0.14.2.20040419083215.00b31d80@127.0.0.1>, Julie wrote:
          > because Adaware keeps locking up on my computer! It is the latest reference
          > file. Any ideas?

          Try Spybot Search & Destroy. Despite the silly name, it's good (and free). You
          can get it here - http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download .

          It's a shame that Adaware is playing up because it's sometimes worth running
          it alternately with Spybot S&D. As with virus checkers (see my earlier note to
          Mordechai), sometimes one will pick up things the other has missed.

          Regards,

          Roger
        • Roger Whitehead
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
            In article <5.1.0.14.2.20040419102847.00b2f3a0@127.0.0.1>, Julie wrote:
            > Thank you Roger! Spybot managed to get rid of stuff and more after a reboot
            > , then I could run Adaware all the way through, and it found still other
            > things. I think one of the kids clicked on something they shouldn't have

            That's good news. I'm glad it helped.

            Regards,

            Roger
          • Robert Romberger
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
              On 19 Apr 2004 at 10:30, Julie wrote:

              > Thank you Roger! Spybot managed to get rid of stuff and more after a reboot
              > , then I could run Adaware all the way through, and it found still other
              > things. I think one of the kids clicked on something they shouldn't have!
              > >
              > >Try Spybot Search & Destroy. Despite the silly name, it's good (and free).
              > >You can get it here -
              > >http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download .

              FWIW, I tend to use both since Adaware gets some things and Spybot seems
              to get the rest. There is some over lap, but between them, I have been
              able to remove everything.

              --
              Robert

              As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things
              you didn't do. Zachary Scott
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2004
                I too have had great success at home and at work with Spybot Search &
                Destroy. It finds things that some virus scanners do not.

                Larry Hamilton

                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                  Bloodhound is a part of Norton antivirus. it looks for activity that MAY
                  be virus activity, and MAY NOT be "officially" discovered and protected
                  against by the latest NAV updates.

                  Basically the NAV program is telling you the program it "saw" is one
                  capable of changing system files, which Spybot IS designed to do.

                  Deleting the icon from your system tray still leaves the program in
                  system, and the systray icon has a built in NAV "exception" that makes
                  spybot invisible to NAV, as far as calling false hits.

                  So when you remove the icon, NAV declares a "found" process that MAY be
                  hostile, and Bloodhound Hueristics kicks in.

                  You can either leave it on the tray, or you can lower your BLOODHOOD
                  sensitivity in NAV setup.

                  --
                  ``

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                  If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                  and tell us what REALLY happened.
                  ~~~~
                • Mordechai
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                    Hello Roger,
                    This message of yours made me curious about "SpyBot S&D", as I had a
                    After Installing this SpyBot and making the first scan, it had reported that
                    "BPS" uses a stollen database from SpyBot and I should stop using BPS.
                    This was a by-the-way story.
                    The real one is that I am looking how to make contact with "SpyBot" authors
                    but all my searches leaded to closed links, I can only download the program
                    file, I was lookin in the help file and also found nothing.
                    Well, maybe you know something about the following:
                    After SpyBot installation, some day I had to reboot (for other reason) I
                    noticed a new icon in the system tray, "SpyBot" was there - started on
                    reboot even I have not configured it such. So I right-clicked on the icon,
                    and asked it politely to exit, as soon as it went away, I got an allert
                    message from "Norton AntiVirus" found a virus "BLOODHOUND.EXPLOIT.6". Going
                    to "Symantec" site looking for this issue, it linked to "Microsoft" site to
                    download & install a security patch. After installation I was asked to
                    reboot and here was this icon again in the tray. Again I closed it and again
                    there was the allert message from "NAV" with the same virus.
                    (As long as the icon stays in the tray there is no virus present :-?).
                    Before going to sleep, I left "NAV" to make a complete scan on the PC, in
                    the morning when the scan was finished - it had nothing to report (not even
                    anything to repair or delete).
                    Well, this was the story, and I write to you perhaps you have the e-mail of
                    "SpyBot" author, (as I said I made a whole search and all links leaded to
                    closed pages.) I want to ask him about this.
                    Thanks and Regards
                    Mordechai

                    > > because Adaware keeps locking up on my computer! It is the latest
                    reference
                    > > file. Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Try Spybot Search & Destroy. Despite the silly name, it's good (and free).
                    You
                    > can get it here - http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
                    .

                    > It's a shame that Adaware is playing up because it's sometimes worth
                    running
                    > it alternately with Spybot S&D. As with virus checkers (see my earlier
                    note to
                    > Mordechai), sometimes one will pick up things the other has missed.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Roger
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Barry
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                      If you want to contact the author of Spybot email spybotsd@...

                      Take care. Barry UK
                    • blake mooney
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                        Jeffery,
                        What you said and the question that prompted it, and the fact that I have
                        SpyBot on board but seldom activate it due to "probably" conflicts with
                        other anti-spyware I have active, makes me wonder if that could be a
                        possible cause why my computer has slowed so much. I mean to say, is it
                        possible that similar but distinct programs could "read" each other as a
                        "troublemaker" and suggest that the owner delete the "weaker" or less active
                        one? Can I have SpyBot along with Ad-Aware 6.0, PestPatrol and its
                        components, TuneUp Utilities, and my antivirus software all active
                        simultaneously, or does one merely content themselves by activating fulltime
                        only their antivirus program? Is it best, if this latter assumption is
                        worthy, to simply utilize the others on a "need-to-use basis" or some kind
                        of weekly schedule?
                        Thanks,
                        rbmooney
                        /ps/ I must say that I have never been on a group site where the people are
                        so intelligent and far advanced. Two key and exceptional characteristics I
                        found about this group--the short time I've been a member--are the
                        generosity and patience of the members. Thank you all for that.
                        rbmooney

                        > Bloodhound is a part of Norton antivirus. it looks for activity that MAY
                        > be virus activity, and MAY NOT be "officially" discovered and protected
                        > against by the latest NAV updates.
                        >
                        > Basically the NAV program is telling you the program it "saw" is one
                        > capable of changing system files, which Spybot IS designed to do.
                        >
                        > Deleting the icon from your system tray still leaves the program in
                        > system, and the systray icon has a built in NAV "exception" that makes
                        > spybot invisible to NAV, as far as calling false hits.
                        >
                        > So when you remove the icon, NAV declares a "found" process that MAY be
                        > hostile, and Bloodhound Hueristics kicks in.
                        >
                        > You can either leave it on the tray, or you can lower your BLOODHOOD
                        > sensitivity in NAV setup.
                        >
                        > --
                        > ``
                        >
                        > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
                        >
                        > Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                        > If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                        > and tell us what REALLY happened.
                        > ~~~~
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Jeff Scism
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                          There are always compatibility problems that may occur if too many
                          things are running "in the background" it uses up your resources, and
                          slowing can easily occur. (Especially in Windows versions previous to XP).

                          Some anti-virus programs will not run concurrently, and I am sure the
                          anti-malware ones are the same, they attempt to see each other as what
                          they are trying to remove, programs which change your system files.

                          I would pick ONE and run it by itself, rather than several, more at once
                          isn't necessarily a good thing.

                          (They may cancel each other, or corrupt your system files)

                          --
                          ``

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                            PestPatrol is well known for it's ability to slow down some operating
                            systems.

                            <I have never been on a group site where the people are so intelligent and
                            far advanced.> Don't cheer just throw money. <g>

                            Take care. Barry UK