Re: [NTO] Transferring NTP and MB from WIN98se to WINXP

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
      Hi Larry,

      At 11:01 AM 4/7/04 -0400, you wrote:
      >Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
      >I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to 128 MB,
      >probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much bigger
      >than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip to put
      >in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this should meet
      >the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think prices
      >are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be the
      >thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important since
      >more PCs are being made without floppy drives.
      >
      >I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and home.
      >
      >Larry Hamilton

      I have three of them. They are called Jump Drives and they use flash
      memory to store information more or less permanently like a CD ROM but they
      are re-writeable like a RAM chip. I really love mine and I am all the time
      swapping files between my Desktop and Laptop machines. I also use mine to
      swap pictures with my Brother when I go over to his howse. You can (if you
      are willing to spend between $300 and $500 dollars) get one that will hold
      about 4 Gigabytes. They only have two problems that I see. They are
      expensive so you would not use them for long term storage and they are
      slightly slower than RAM to write to.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
        At 05:27 PM 4/7/04 GMT, you wrote:
        >In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
        >> Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
        >
        >Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
        >2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
        >motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
        >AFAIK.
        >
        >The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
        >a few months ago, with the same result.
        >
        >The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

        No Roger. I have the older USB 1.0 and mine works just fine.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Roger Whitehead
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
          In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
          > Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.

          Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
          2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
          motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
          AFAIK.

          The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
          a few months ago, with the same result.

          The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

          Regards,

          Roger
        • Jason Wellband
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
            :
            : Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many
            : of them use USB
            : 2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1,
            : you're possibly into
            : motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't
            : work with USB 2,
            : AFAIK.
            :

            I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
            take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port. At any rate, I doubt
            Windows 98 would support a USB 2 port, but you shouldn't need one - although
            the dropdown will make it slower.'

            Hth

            Jason
          • Lawrence R. Thomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
              For some reason my posts to this list are not being processed. I am
              now posting them directly to the website. That means that you will
              be getting a second copy of my original post sometime in the next
              thirty days or longer !-(

              This reply was original sent Apr 07 10:16:24 2004 Central Daylight
              Time.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                This is a second post to the website.

                The original reply was sent Apr 07 12:26:50 2004 Central Daylight
                Time.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                  In article <NUTCRACKERRGryWtIIZ00000004@...>, Jason
                  Wellband wrote:
                  > I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
                  > take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port

                  I think you're right, Jason. I've just had a rummage around the Web and
                  that is the advice I've seen. That's useful to know.

                  Regards,

                  Roger