Re: [NTO] Transferring NTP and MB from WIN98se to WINXP

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
      Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
      I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to 128 MB,
      probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much bigger
      than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip to put
      in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this should meet
      the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think prices
      are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be the
      thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important since
      more PCs are being made without floppy drives.

      I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and home.

      Larry Hamilton

      > Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed. I am now faced with
      > moving files with incompatible discs. My old computer is equipped with a
      > 3.5" floppy drive (1.44 megs) and a Zip drive (100 megs). It has a CD
      drive
      > with no burner.
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
        Hi Larry,

        At 11:01 AM 4/7/04 -0400, you wrote:
        >Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
        >I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to 128 MB,
        >probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much bigger
        >than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip to put
        >in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this should meet
        >the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think prices
        >are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be the
        >thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important since
        >more PCs are being made without floppy drives.
        >
        >I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and home.
        >
        >Larry Hamilton

        I have three of them. They are called Jump Drives and they use flash
        memory to store information more or less permanently like a CD ROM but they
        are re-writeable like a RAM chip. I really love mine and I am all the time
        swapping files between my Desktop and Laptop machines. I also use mine to
        swap pictures with my Brother when I go over to his howse. You can (if you
        are willing to spend between $300 and $500 dollars) get one that will hold
        about 4 Gigabytes. They only have two problems that I see. They are
        expensive so you would not use them for long term storage and they are
        slightly slower than RAM to write to.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
          At 05:27 PM 4/7/04 GMT, you wrote:
          >In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
          >> Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
          >
          >Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
          >2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
          >motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
          >AFAIK.
          >
          >The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
          >a few months ago, with the same result.
          >
          >The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

          No Roger. I have the older USB 1.0 and mine works just fine.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Roger Whitehead
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
            In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
            > Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.

            Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
            2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
            motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
            AFAIK.

            The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
            a few months ago, with the same result.

            The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

            Regards,

            Roger
          • Jason Wellband
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
              :
              : Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many
              : of them use USB
              : 2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1,
              : you're possibly into
              : motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't
              : work with USB 2,
              : AFAIK.
              :

              I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
              take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port. At any rate, I doubt
              Windows 98 would support a USB 2 port, but you shouldn't need one - although
              the dropdown will make it slower.'

              Hth

              Jason
            • Lawrence R. Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                For some reason my posts to this list are not being processed. I am
                now posting them directly to the website. That means that you will
                be getting a second copy of my original post sometime in the next
                thirty days or longer !-(

                This reply was original sent Apr 07 10:16:24 2004 Central Daylight
                Time.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                  This is a second post to the website.

                  The original reply was sent Apr 07 12:26:50 2004 Central Daylight
                  Time.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                    In article <NUTCRACKERRGryWtIIZ00000004@...>, Jason
                    Wellband wrote:
                    > I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
                    > take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port

                    I think you're right, Jason. I've just had a rummage around the Web and
                    that is the advice I've seen. That's useful to know.

                    Regards,

                    Roger