RE: System Restore - WAS - Re: [NTO] MS Internet Explorer/System Restore

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2004
      Hi Jim,

      > Larry,
      > At 10:48 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
      > >I have WinXP Home and it has always had System Restore. It does
      > NOT have MS
      > >Backup if you have one of the PCs with the basic "restore" CD.
      > You can only
      > >get it with the full version CD, and install it as an "extra".
      > That is good to know, thanks for letting me know.

      It's not entirely true!

      It's not installed by default but "msi" installation file is found on the
      installation disk in the Valueadd\Msft\Ntbackup folder. There are couple of
      points noted in the reademe found in the folder:

      NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes

      1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

      IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
      will appear to work fine during the backup session. Since the setup does
      not support ASR in the home edition, there is no way to initiate the ASR
      restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this session,
      install Windows XP manually and then restore from the ASR media.

      2. Backup to CDRW

      If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
      You must create a backup set of 650MB or less and backup to a file. After
      the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.

      Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.