Re: [NTO] Transferring NTP and MB from WIN98se to WINXP

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2004
      Paul - what kind of internet connection do you have?
      Cable by any chance?

      When faced with a similar problem: old Win8 machine to new Win2K machine I
      tried serial and parallel port connections without much success (check out
      Direct connect and/or HyperTerminal with a special "NULL modem" cable). I
      wound up purchasing a Linksys 4 port router for about $100 CDN and it was
      trivial to set it up so both machines could share each others drives making
      the transfers a snap.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
        Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
        I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to 128 MB,
        probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much bigger
        than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip to put
        in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this should meet
        the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think prices
        are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be the
        thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important since
        more PCs are being made without floppy drives.

        I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and home.

        Larry Hamilton

        > Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed. I am now faced with
        > moving files with incompatible discs. My old computer is equipped with a
        > 3.5" floppy drive (1.44 megs) and a Zip drive (100 megs). It has a CD
        drive
        > with no burner.
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
          Hi Larry,

          At 11:01 AM 4/7/04 -0400, you wrote:
          >Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
          >I forget their technical name, but I think you can get them up to 128 MB,
          >probably bigger, and they plug into any USB drive. They are not much bigger
          >than the plug on one end of a USB cable and have a cover with a clip to put
          >in your front pocket. If both PCs have USB ports, I think this should meet
          >the needs for grabbing your files and data off the old PC. I think prices
          >are about $30 for 64 MB. With the near ubiquity of USB, this may be the
          >thing that can finally replace the floppy. This is really important since
          >more PCs are being made without floppy drives.
          >
          >I plan to get one to save having to email stuff between work and home.
          >
          >Larry Hamilton

          I have three of them. They are called Jump Drives and they use flash
          memory to store information more or less permanently like a CD ROM but they
          are re-writeable like a RAM chip. I really love mine and I am all the time
          swapping files between my Desktop and Laptop machines. I also use mine to
          swap pictures with my Brother when I go over to his howse. You can (if you
          are willing to spend between $300 and $500 dollars) get one that will hold
          about 4 Gigabytes. They only have two problems that I see. They are
          expensive so you would not use them for long term storage and they are
          slightly slower than RAM to write to.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
            At 05:27 PM 4/7/04 GMT, you wrote:
            >In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
            >> Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.
            >
            >Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
            >2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
            >motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
            >AFAIK.
            >
            >The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
            >a few months ago, with the same result.
            >
            >The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

            No Roger. I have the older USB 1.0 and mine works just fine.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Roger Whitehead
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
              In article <002201c41cb1$ce59d780$554ffea9@OurPC>, Larry Hamilton wrote:
              > Another less expensive option, would be one of those new pocket USB drives.

              Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many of them use USB
              2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1, you're possibly into
              motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't work with USB 2,
              AFAIK.

              The same applies to some of the portable hard drive units. I looked at those
              a few months ago, with the same result.

              The computer industry's got to keep up the revenue flow somehow. 8-)

              Regards,

              Roger
            • Jason Wellband
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                :
                : Yes, they're very handy but there's a potential gotcha. Many
                : of them use USB
                : 2 or Firewire. If the old machine has only USB 1.0/1.1,
                : you're possibly into
                : motherboard and O/S upgrades. (Win 98 first edition won't
                : work with USB 2,
                : AFAIK.
                :

                I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
                take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port. At any rate, I doubt
                Windows 98 would support a USB 2 port, but you shouldn't need one - although
                the dropdown will make it slower.'

                Hth

                Jason
              • Lawrence R. Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                  For some reason my posts to this list are not being processed. I am
                  now posting them directly to the website. That means that you will
                  be getting a second copy of my original post sometime in the next
                  thirty days or longer !-(

                  This reply was original sent Apr 07 10:16:24 2004 Central Daylight
                  Time.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                    This is a second post to the website.

                    The original reply was sent Apr 07 12:26:50 2004 Central Daylight
                    Time.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 7, 2004
                      In article <NUTCRACKERRGryWtIIZ00000004@...>, Jason
                      Wellband wrote:
                      > I could be mistaken here, but USB 2.0 should drop down to USB 1.1 if you
                      > take a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 1.1 port

                      I think you're right, Jason. I've just had a rummage around the Web and
                      that is the advice I've seen. That's useful to know.

                      Regards,

                      Roger