Transferring NTP and MB from WIN98se to WINXP

  • Paul M. King
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
      Greetings All:

      Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed. I am now faced with
      moving files with incompatible discs. My old computer is equipped with a
      3.5" floppy drive (1.44 megs) and a Zip drive (100 megs). It has a CD drive
      with no burner.

      Trouble is, some of my files are way too large to move in one chunk and the
      alternative is tedious. My new Dell has 3.5" floppy and CD drives with a
      burner incorporated in the latter.

      The 3.5" drives are compatible, but much too small. And there lies the problem.

      Have any of you dealt with similar dilemmas?

      In addition, I have NoteTab Pro 4.83 on a disk. I later upgraded this to
      NTB 4.91/np on my old computer. I am not sure if I can install 4.83 on the
      new Dell and then upgrade to the latest version of NTB or not. Jody should
      know.

      And there is still another similar problem with MB 3.1/rvm which needs to
      be moved from old to new computer along with voluminous files accumulated
      over several years. I also will be updating MB to the latest version in the
      new unit.

      I thought there might be a way to link the two computer by cable so that I
      could at least move files from the old computer to the cd burner in the new
      unit, but haven't found it. Any light anyone can shed on these problems
      will be appreciated.

      An external CD burner would help, but I hate to spend the dough.

      Paul King
    • Paul M. King

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
          Paul,
          At 05:48 PM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
          >Greetings All:
          >
          >Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed.

          I suspect that you just had the wrong cable.

          >I am now faced with
          >moving files with incompatible discs. My old computer is equipped with a
          >3.5" floppy drive (1.44 megs) and a Zip drive (100 megs). It has a CD drive
          >with no burner.
          >
          >Trouble is, some of my files are way too large to move in one chunk and the
          >alternative is tedious. My new Dell has 3.5" floppy and CD drives with a
          >burner incorporated in the latter.
          >
          >The 3.5" drives are compatible, but much too small. And there lies the problem.

          All of this effort will only make you old before your time.:-)

          >Have any of you dealt with similar dilemmas?
          >
          >In addition, I have NoteTab Pro 4.83 on a disk. I later upgraded this to
          >NTB 4.91/np on my old computer. I am not sure if I can install 4.83 on the
          >new Dell and then upgrade to the latest version of NTB or not. Jody should
          >know.
          >
          >And there is still another similar problem with MB 3.1/rvm which needs to
          >be moved from old to new computer along with voluminous files accumulated
          >over several years. I also will be updating MB to the latest version in the
          >new unit.

          It sounds to me that it is time to go to the local computer store and spend about $30 and buy a NIC card for the old computer (the new one should have it built in) and a cable ( there are more expensive alternatives) and set up a LAN.

          >I thought there might be a way to link the two computer by cable so that I
          >could at least move files from the old computer to the cd burner in the new
          >unit, but haven't found it. Any light anyone can shed on these problems
          >will be appreciated.

          Just set up a LAN and all of these problems will go away.

          >An external CD burner would help, but I hate to spend the dough.

          I don't blame you, a LAN will keep you from having to do that.

          Jim
        • Roger Whitehead
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2004
            In article <6.0.3.0.0.20040406171533.01aee500@...>, Paul M.
            King wrote:
            > I thought there might be a way to link the two computer by cable so that I
            > could at least move files from the old computer to the cd burner in the new
            > unit, but haven't found it. Any light anyone can shed on these problems
            > will be appreciated.

            Another possibility is to take the hard disc from your old PC and install it
            as a second (or third) drive to your new one. That makes possible the highest
            data transfer rates. It also lets you use one of the many directory comparison
            products so that you can be sure you've swopped all the files you need.

            Regards,

            Roger
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2004
              Hi Paul,

              Roger said:

              > Another possibility is to take the hard disc from your old PC and
              > install it
              > as a second (or third) drive to your new one. That makes possible
              > the highest
              > data transfer rates. It also lets you use one of the many
              > directory comparison
              > products so that you can be sure you've swopped all the files you need.

              Rather than a "full install" of the hard disk you could just temporally
              "piggy back" it.

              I was once involved in installing a large number of machines. If I remember
              it right we'd remove the ribbon cables from the hard disk of an existing
              machine on the network, lift the lid on the new machine, remove the ribbon
              cables from its disk and, using a longer than standard cable, link it to the
              machine already connected to our network.

              We powered up both, machines. The new machine did nothing, but it needed
              the power to run it's hard disk. The network machine was made to boot from
              a floppy, which sucked a disk image from the network onto the hard disk
              which was now connected to it and appeared to the machine to be it's own
              hard disk. In a couple of minutes I had a fully preconfigured new machine.
              Refit all the cables to the original disks. Job done!

              Greg
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2004
                Hi Jim,

                > >Attempts to move my files by serial cable have failed.
                >
                > I suspect that you just had the wrong cable.

                Or an FAT32/NTFS incompatibility.

                When I first sucked stuff using Direct Cable Connection from an old win98SE
                machine to my freshly upgraded from WinME to WinXPHome. I had no problems.
                But then I did a fresh install of WinXPHome on that old WinME machine and
                this time installed it a NTFS. No longer would Direct Cable Connection see
                the NTFS drive.

                Was I missing something, or was that inevitable?

                Greg