System Restore - WAS - Re: [NTO] MS Internet Explorer/System Restore

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 10:48 AM
      I have WinXP Home and it has always had System Restore. It does NOT have MS
      Backup if you have one of the PCs with the basic "restore" CD. You can only
      get it with the full version CD, and install it as an "extra".

      This is one of the many things I do not like about the way MS differentiated
      the Home and Pro versions of XP.

      It is still much better than any Windows 95 or 98 since it rarely crashes
      and is more secure. I just wish XP Pro did not cost as much as a new PC with
      XP Home. This is one more thing that makes Linux so much more appealing.

      I just have a lot of work to do to prepare my wife for the change. Going
      from Windows 95 to Windows XP Home was a big enough change a couple of years
      ago. At least now she is used to having to log in to use the PC. ;-) Most of
      the other programs she uses are covered by Open Office, Mozilla, and several
      email clients. At least I can have her try them in Windows first, since they
      are basically the same in Linux. The big hold up is me finding all the tools
      and utilities to do all the things I do and finding the time to figure them
      out. I know they're out there, and I am slowly building my parallel
      collection. At least I have NoteTab running under Wine! I may even do the
      same with a couple of others.

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6 8:42 PM
        Larry,
        At 10:48 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
        >I have WinXP Home and it has always had System Restore. It does NOT have MS
        >Backup if you have one of the PCs with the basic "restore" CD. You can only
        >get it with the full version CD, and install it as an "extra".

        That is good to know, thanks for letting me know.

        >This is one of the many things I do not like about the way MS differentiated
        >the Home and Pro versions of XP.

        I hear you!

        >It is still much better than any Windows 95 or 98 since it rarely crashes
        >and is more secure. I just wish XP Pro did not cost as much as a new PC with
        >XP Home. This is one more thing that makes Linux so much more appealing.

        I don't know anything that makes Linux appealing :-)

        I don't like Windows either but it is the lesser of 2 evils if you have to work in the real world with major coorporations..

        >I just have a lot of work to do to prepare my wife for the change.

        Rotsa ruck!

        > Going from Windows 95 to Windows XP Home was a big enough change a couple of years
        >ago. At least now she is used to having to log in to use the PC. ;-) Most of
        >the other programs she uses are covered by Open Office, Mozilla, and several
        >email clients. At least I can have her try them in Windows first, since they
        >are basically the same in Linux. The big hold up is me finding all the tools
        >and utilities to do all the things I do and finding the time to figure them
        >out. I know they're out there, and I am slowly building my parallel
        >collection. At least I have NoteTab running under Wine! I may even do the
        >same with a couple of others.

        You are a glutton for punishment aren't you :-)
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7 3:17 AM
          Hi Jim,

          > Larry,
          > At 10:48 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
          > >I have WinXP Home and it has always had System Restore. It does
          > NOT have MS
          > >Backup if you have one of the PCs with the basic "restore" CD.
          > You can only
          > >get it with the full version CD, and install it as an "extra".
          >
          > That is good to know, thanks for letting me know.

          It's not entirely true!

          It's not installed by default but "msi" installation file is found on the
          installation disk in the Valueadd\Msft\Ntbackup folder. There are couple of
          points noted in the reademe found in the folder:

          ============
          NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes

          Backup/Restore

          ASR

          1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

          IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
          will appear to work fine during the backup session. Since the setup does
          not support ASR in the home edition, there is no way to initiate the ASR
          restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this session,
          install Windows XP manually and then restore from the ASR media.

          2. Backup to CDRW

          If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
          You must create a backup set of 650MB or less and backup to a file. After
          the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.

          Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.

          Greg