MS Internet Explorer

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hello Friends,
      I had some additional toolbars on my Internet Explorer, some from added third-party programs.
      When I right-clicked on the toolbar I could hide or unhide them, also I could drag a toolbar to expand it.
      Right now I do not know what happened but all the added toolbars gone!
      When I right-click on the upper toolbar I can see the list of the added toolbars (checked "V") but the list is Grey (not active).
      In the "Tools -> Internet options -> advanced" I have checked the place to allow third-party extention...", restarted, but nothing better.
      These toolbars were active while online or offline but now I can not reach them as I said above.
      I also clicked on the "Restore defaults" and it did not make things better.
      I ran AntiVirus program to verify if PC was virus attacked - all OK.
      My OpSys is "Windows XP pro+sp1", I run MS updates now and then, system is OK. only this problem.
      Can anybody give me some hints (any "tweek") to correct this strange behaveior.
      Thanks in advance.
      Mordechai M.
      airflow@...

    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
        Mordechai,

        At 06:16 PM 4/5/2004, you wrote:
        >Hello Friends,
        >I had some additional toolbars on my Internet Explorer, some from added third-party programs.
        >When I right-clicked on the toolbar I could hide or unhide them, also I could drag a toolbar to expand it.
        >Right now I do not know what happened but all the added toolbars gone!
        >When I right-click on the upper toolbar I can see the list of the added toolbars (checked "V") but the list is Grey (not active).
        >In the "Tools -> Internet options -> advanced" I have checked the place to allow third-party extention...", restarted, but nothing better.
        >These toolbars were active while online or offline but now I can not reach them as I said above.
        >I also clicked on the "Restore defaults" and it did not make things better.
        >I ran AntiVirus program to verify if PC was virus attacked - all OK.
        >My OpSys is "Windows XP pro+sp1", I run MS updates now and then, system is OK. only this problem.
        >Can anybody give me some hints (any "tweek") to correct this strange behaveior.
        >Thanks in advance.

        Go to START>HELP AND SUPPORT>UNDO CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER WITH SYSTEM RESTORE

        Pick CREATE A RESTORE POINT

        On the next screen type in a reminder like "System is Broken".

        Finish the wizard.

        Now do it all again and this time pick RESTORE MY COMPUTER TO AN EARLIER TIME

        When the calendar comes up pick a darkened date that the system was working correctly and restore your system to that day.

        Note, any changes to your system since that day will not show.

        The ability to restore your system to an earlier time is the one most important aspect of XP Pro and is not available with the Home edition.

        The system will create restore points for you when you install new software, and every day or so but it is a good idea to create one yourself every once in awhile when your system is performing just the way you want it to.

        The number of restore points it will save depends on the size of your hard drive.

        You do not need to enter the time and date in your description, it is done automatically for you.

        You can turn around and restore it back to the "System is Broken" restore point and continue as you are right now, or pick any other restore point that you think might work. You can go back and forth with no problem.

        You can get your system totally balled up and restore it to yesterday or an hour ago with not much more than a reboot if you create a restore point before you try new things.

        If you have ever screwed up your system with 98 or 2K and spent a couple of days trying to get it back, those days are over with XP Pro.

        You can change your Restore Settings at CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>SYSTEM RESTORE TAB

        You can put a shortcut to it on your desktop by creating a shortcut to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Margaret Penfold
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
          Jim , I am confused here. I have XP Home edition and it has the ability to
          does in this area that is different?

> [...]
          drive.

          > You do not need to enter the time and date in your description, it is done
          automatically for you.

          > You can turn around and restore it back to the "System is Broken" restore
          point and continue as you are right now, or pick any other restore point
          that you think might work. You can go back and forth with no problem.

          > You can get your system totally balled up and restore it to yesterday or
          an hour ago with not much more than a reboot if you create a restore point
          before you try new things.

          > If you have ever screwed up your system with 98 or 2K and spent a couple
          of days trying to get it back, those days are over with XP Pro.

          > You can change your Restore Settings at CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>SYSTEM
          RESTORE TAB

          > You can put a shortcut to it on your desktop by creating a shortcut to

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
            Margaret,

            At 02:45 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
            >Jim , I am confused here. I have XP Home edition and it has the ability to
            >does in this area that is different?

            My guess is that one of the following conditions exist for you.

            You might have an HP or a Compac (or something similar) which has a restore capability but this restores the computer to the original factory software, not to a specific day and time.

            You might be confusing the Backup Utility with the System Restore Utility.

            You might have one of the Norton Utilities which has a restore function similar to XP Pro.

            MS has started including System Restore with the Home Edition and hasn't told anyone.

            Your system has been upgraded to the Pro Edition and the Home Edition splash screen is still showing. I have seen this happen before.

            For the differences between the Home and Pro Editions go here.

            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

            For a description and How-to on System Restore go here.

            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

            Regards,

            Jim
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
              Jim Hall wrote:

              > Margaret,
              >
              > At 02:45 AM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
              >
              >> Jim , I am confused here. I have XP Home edition and it has the
              ability to
              that XP Pro
              >> does in this area that is different?
              >
              > My guess is that one of the following conditions exist for you.
              >

              > MS has started including System Restore with the Home Edition and
              hasn't told anyone.

              > Regards,

              Hi Jim, Margaret,

              Margaret isn't really confused, my version of XP Home also has System
              Restore, and I have used it a couple of times.

              It is not a 3rd party version or a system backup. I have a built from
              scratch computer, not a Dell or any other brand.

              hrs
            • Margaret Penfold
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
                Thanks, Jim, I guess I meant roll-back. I thought it was the same as
                system restore
                > >Jim , I am confused here. I have XP Home edition and it has the ability
                Pro
                > >does in this area that is different?
                >

                > My guess is that one of the following conditions exist for you.
                >
                > You might have an HP or a Compac (or something similar) which has a
                restore capability but this restores the computer to the original factory
                software, not to a specific day and time.

                > You might be confusing the Backup Utility with the System Restore Utility.
                >
                > You might have one of the Norton Utilities which has a restore function
                similar to XP Pro.

                > MS has started including System Restore with the Home Edition and hasn't
                told anyone.

                > Your system has been upgraded to the Pro Edition and the Home Edition
                splash screen is still showing. I have seen this happen before.

                > For the differences between the Home and Pro Editions go here.
                >
                > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
                >

                > For a description and How-to on System Restore go here.

                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

                > Regards,
                >
                > Jim
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mordechai
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
                  Thank you Jim Hall.
                  I did some experiments with the restore system until I found back the
                  missing toolbars, but the Greyed menu still was there, which meens I could
                  not control them. Maybe I could stay with this, but then I noticed
                  somewhere else on my disk there was a whole month's work turned out to be a
                  mess - I should have burnt it first (even temporarily) to a CD, or move it
                  to some partition where the restore is not working (I configured it so).
                  Well, I had to restore the system back to the present time - the mess was
                  corrected but the toolbars not.
                  Now I will finish my work, burn it all to a CD and then go back to the
                  restore "game".
                  Thanks again and best regards.
                  Mordechai M.

> [...]
                  drive.

                  > You do not need to enter the time and date in your description, it is done
                  automatically for you.

                  > You can turn around and restore it back to the "System is Broken" restore
                  point and continue as you are right now, or pick any other restore point
                  that you think might work. You can go back and forth with no problem.

                  > You can get your system totally balled up and restore it to yesterday or
                  an hour ago with not much more than a reboot if you create a restore point
                  before you try new things.

                  > If you have ever screwed up your system with 98 or 2K and spent a couple
                  of days trying to get it back, those days are over with XP Pro.

                  > You can change your Restore Settings at CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>SYSTEM
                  RESTORE TAB

                  > You can put a shortcut to it on your desktop by creating a shortcut to

                • Dart Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                    One important extra about Restore points – data is NOT LOST ! Although it
                    restores earlier programme settings etc. the associated data remains. It
                    really is good!

                    _____