Signing up for Subscriptions - My Two Cents Worth wrong.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi All,

      We have these new, (somewhat new to me anyway), subscription fees
      popping up for different lengths at a time. I'm using a recent
      thread "Adding 'Open with NoteTab' to the Shell" as an example
      which ultimately has you signing up for a subscription with
      optional lengths:

      Yearly billing $19.97
      Yearly billing (For PC Magazine subscribers) $14.97
      Monthly billing (limit 3 downloads/month) $4.97
      30 Day Pass (one-time charge, limit 3 downloads)

      > This article explains it all and you can download ContextEdit
      > here as well.

      > It appears that the utility "ContextEdit" will do it. However,
      > PCMag has changed their policy since I have been there last (a
      > couple years ago I suppose.) I can understand them now charging
      > to download files from their site; that's capitalism. :) The
      > fact is, I don't need it that bad; just thought it would be
      > nice to have.

      After looking at this closer, it is not PCMag wide, but just
      certain utilities, so the following is not all correct. It
      appears though that it is not like shareware. You cannot try it
      out. You pay your money for whichever subscription size/amount
      you want and only get what you get whether you like it or not,
      whether it works or not. That is the way I see it, but I could be
      wrong.

      I might have considered paying a one time fee to download, but
      not the ever growing yearly type subscription. I try to avoid
      those like a plague. Perhaps I should start a boycott on my web
      sites for people not to pay the subscription type fees. I do
      understand that like in this case that they have bandwidth fees
      to pay, etc. However, they make *plenty* of money elsewhere. In
      fact, the free downloads was originally put there to attract
      people to the site so that they could make money from different
      approaches. Like anything else though, I suppose they saw they
      got their database up and saw a place where they could make money
      and went for it. Well, good for them! I'm not against the trying;
      just against me having to pay - haha. Really though, I think
      maybe a reasonable say $5.00 fee for a 5 year contract would be
      more fair. I'm not just looking at this one thing though. If we
      continue to let them do these things, soon the Internet will
      become expensive and the fun taken out of it. Maybe they will
      find in the long run they are loosing more money than making in
      these new systems. Anyway, unless absolutely needed, I hereby
      state, FWIW, that I will not pay subscription fees for things
      that have always been traditionally free. So, what ye think?

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some!
      http://clean-funnies.com