Re: [NTB] Re: Adding "Open with NoteTab" to the Shell

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi Jim and Others,

      I brought this over from the Basic list as the subject prefix
      reflects. :-) I did not see a way in the article on how to get
      "Open with NoteTab" on the top level Windows Explorer content
      menu for all file types. I know how to to it on a per file type
      basis.

      It appears that the utility "ContextEdit" will do it. However,
      PCMag has changed their policy since I have been there last (a
      couple years ago I suppose.) I can understand them now charging
      to download files from their site; that's capitalism. :) The fact
      is, I don't need it that bad; just thought it would be nice to
      have. (More coming on the subscription fees...)

      I might have considered paying a one time fee to download, but
      not the ever growing yearly type subscription. I try to avoid
      those like a plague. Perhaps I should start a boycott on my web
      sites for people not to pay the subscription type fees. I do
      understand that like in this case that they have bandwidth fees
      to pay, etc. However, they make plenty of money elsewhere. In
      fact, the free downloads was originally put there to attract
      people to the site. Like anything else though, I suppose they saw
      they got their database up and saw a place where they could make
      money and went for it. Well, good for them! I'm not against the
      trying; just against me having to pay - haha. Really though, I
      think maybe a reasonable say $5.00 fee for a 5 year contract
      would be more fair. I'm not just looking at this one thing
      though. If we continue to let them do these things, soon the
      Internet will become expensive and the fun taken out of it. Maybe
      they will find in the long run they are loosing more money than
      making in these new systems. Anyway, unless absolutely needed, I
      hereby state, FWIW, that I will not pay subscription fees for
      things that have always been traditionally free.

      >This article explains it all and you can download ContextEdit
      >here as well.
      >
      >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9879,00.asp
      >
      >Any further discussion should take place on the OffTopics list
      >since this is beyond the purpose of the Basic NoteTab list.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Jim
      >
      >At 12:14 PM 3/29/2004, you wrote:
      >>--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Whitehead" <rgw@o...> wrote:
      >>> I wonder if someone can help with the registry change needed
      >>> to add "Open with NoteTab" to the shell.... [as any file type
      >>> without having to do it per file type.

      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Roger Whitehead
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
        > It appears that the utility "ContextEdit" will do it. However,
        > PCMag has changed their policy...

        What makes you think I downloaded it from there? 8-)

        Google around a bit and you'll find a site that hosts it rather than
        linking to the PC mag download service. (I'm not being coy by not
        telling you where. I've cleaned out my history files since then and
        don't know where I got it.)

        Regards,

        Roger
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
          Hi Roger,

          (Thanks for the other info Alec Burgess Re: http://www.xs4all.nl/~wstudios/Associate/)

          >> It appears that the utility "ContextEdit" will do it. However,
          >> PCMag has changed their policy...
          >
          >What makes you think I downloaded it from there? 8-)

          <bg> Well, that'd be cheat'n. :) So, how's this for the
          top level content menu to add and clear. Got to run now,
          but will put it up as a Library with a surprise bonus Clip
          tomorrow. See ya! -jody Good luck. If you do not know the
          registry, I'd hold off on using this until other test it. <g>

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=NoteTab All File Types
          ; THIS IS FOR A WinXP Machine; should work on others, but !!! Use at own risk !!!
          ; eMailed on 04-02-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
          ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

          ; This Clip adds registry entries so that any file can be
          ; right clicked over and opened in NoteTab by clicking on
          ; the top level content menu entry "Open with ^$GetProgName$"
          ; The program name will be the version of NoteTab that you
          ; execute the Clip from, one of the three:
          ; Open with NoteTab Pro
          ; Open with NoteTab Std
          ; Open with NoteTab Light
          ; Long lines ust be joined! Lines ending in \*\ should have
          ; line beneath it wrapped up to it with no space added.
          ; So, "shell" should be brought up to "\*\" looking like:
          ; ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types=Open with ^$GetProgName$

          ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\
          shell\All File Types=Open with ^$GetProgName$
          ^!IfError ShowError1

          ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\
          shell\All File Types\command="^$GetAppFileName$" "%1"
          ^!IfError ShowError2

          ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\
          shell\All File Types=Open with ^$GetProgName$
          ^!IfError ShowError3

          ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\
          shell\All File Types\command="^$GetAppFileName$" "%1"
          ^!IfError ShowError4
          ^!Goto End

          :ShowError1
          ^!Prompt Error creating registry key 1
          ^!Goto End
          :ShowError2
          ^!Prompt Error creating registry key 2
          ^!Goto End
          :ShowError3
          ^!Prompt Error creating registry key 3
          ^!Goto End
          :ShowError4
          ^!Prompt Error creating registry key 4

          H=Clear Registry NoteTab All File Types
          ; eMailed on 04-02-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
          ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types\command
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\All File Types
          ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\All File Types\command

          <--- Copy above this line --->
          <--- Right click over a Library --->
          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2004
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
            > So, how's this for the
            > top level content menu to add and clear.

            Many thanks for doing that, Jody. I achieved much the same with
            ContextEdit.

            Reagards,

            Roger