Re: [NTO] Ha! Success! (NotePro with wine on Linux)

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2004
      Steven,

      Glad you found a fix. I too vagly recall something with these settings.

      For the libraries, I had some sort of issue, I think I made note of it in my
      detailed post in January. I have not had a chance to look at it. The biggest
      thing I found was for ligrary names that started with an underscore or any
      other non-alphanumeric character would not let me click the library tab at
      the bottom, and maybe change in the clipbar too.

      For some reason, I cannot get RedHat 7.2 to work with newer versions of
      Wine. I have been too afraid of messing up my Windows partition to update to
      a newer version of RedHat. I am also a little miffed that RedHat dropped
      their support (another reason I have not upgraded to a newer version). I
      paid good money for a boxed set so I could get printed manuals.... Oh well,
      I guess they don't want any more of my money....

      I do not know what version to go to. I have not had time to really weigh my
      options.

      I did get a copy of Knoppix and burn a CD, only had time for a quick test on
      an old PC at work to make sure the CD works. I may play with that next week.
      I have a week off for the kid's spring break. Plans changed, so we are
      staying home. If the honey-dos don't take all my time....

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        Steven,
        I have some questions about using WINE. I cannot seem to get anything to open in it. I see that wine is running on my machine. I have searched google, asked people that are supposed to know these things and so far I have had no satisfactory answer. How do I load NoteTab Pro into wine, in fact how do I load any Windows program into wine. Is Wine supposed to open like a regular app in Windows. All I know is that WINE is running because it says shutting WINE down when I shut down Linux. I don't know enough to get any program to load once I download it. I can see where it is but when I click on it nothing happens.Can you give me a few clues? Email me privately if you wish. ebrown27@... All I get from most people is rtfm. But I cannot find the manual or at least one that has anything to do with making programs open and run -- that is all programs except those in the start menu. I have been to the WINE page and read it but most did not make any sense to me. I would like a good tutorial beginning at the very basics on how to open WINE and especially how to load Windows programs into it.
        Thanks.
        Ed

        Steven wrote:
        Ha! Success! (NotePro with wine on Linux)

        Problem solved!

        I'm not sure *why* the fix works, but I'm satisfied (at least for the moment)
        because it *is* working.

      • Steven Karp
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          On Wednesday 31 March 2004 06:53 pm, you wrote:
          > For the libraries, I had some sort of issue, I think I made note of it in
          > my detailed post in January. I have not had a chance to look at it. The
          > biggest thing I found was for ligrary names that started with an underscore
          > or any other non-alphanumeric character would not let me click the library
          > tab at the bottom, and maybe change in the clipbar too.

          That doesn't seem to be an issue for me, since all of my libraries seem to
          start with letters. <grin> I did figure out the if I right-click the
          library panel and choose "Hide" it goes away, at least until I exit NotePro
          and restart it. That's close enough to get by, anyway.

          > For some reason, I cannot get RedHat 7.2 to work with newer versions of
          > Wine. I have been too afraid of messing up my Windows partition to update
          > to a newer version of RedHat. I am also a little miffed that RedHat dropped

          Interesting. I wonder why that would be. As far as the upgrading RH goes, I
          strongly recommend getting a full-disk image backup program (I use Acronis
          TrueImage) and a second hard drive (in my case, I backup over the network to
          a second machine, but Acronis will support most USB, Firewire, or PCMCIA
          drives, as well as internal drives. The advantage is that if an install goes
          astray and you wipe out your Windows partition (or any other partition, for
          that matter) you can immediately restore it and get yourself right back where
          you were. It's saved my rear end several times, usually when I did something
          stupid like install an OS to the wrong partition.

          > I do not know what version to go to. I have not had time to really weigh my
          > options.

          I've heard good things about Fedora Core, which is supposedly the best Red Hat
          derivative, so it should be a fairly easy transition. Personally, I've used
          Xandros, SuSE, and Gentoo, and they all have good and bad points. If you're
          comfortable with Gnome, though, I'd suggest that you stick with distributions
          that use Gnome, rather than trying to make the switch to KDE or another
          window manager.

          S.