Ha! Success! (NotePro with wine on Linux)

  • Steven Karp
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2004
      Problem solved!

      I'm not sure *why* the fix works, but I'm satisfied (at least for the moment)
      because it *is* working.

      The problem seems to have originated in how the wine configuration defines the
      Windows temp directory. My original configuration (the one that wine
      created) defined a Windows drive that pointed to my Linux /tmp directory:

      [Drive F]
      "Path" = "/tmp"
      "Type" = "hd"
      "Label" = "Tmp Drive"
      "Filesystem" = "win95"

      This was then defined as the location of Temp:
      "Temp" = "f:\\"

      For some reason, this totally fails to work -- at least for me. <grin>

      I simply created a directory called "Temp" in the Windows directory
      (~/.wine/fake_windows/Windows/Temp) and then changed the config file to use
      that for Temp:
      "Temp" = "c:\\Windows\\Temp"

      Ha! Take that, vile software! <laughter>

      So, having solved that problem, on to the next:

      I had to rename my Libraries directory to something else and create an empty
      Libraries directory, because otherwise I cannot close the active Library at
      the left side. Clicking it on the Library bar closes it for a couple of
      seconds and then it pops right back open. Any thoughts on how I can make the
      Librarys go away when I don't need them, but still have access to them?

      S.