Optimization - Scheduling

  • hugo_paulissen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2004
      Hello,

      Does anybody here know something about optimization? I used the trial
      version of Premium Solver (the cousin/big brother of Excel's built-in
      Solver) to test a scheduling problem we will have to face once a year
      (I'm trying to help some colleagues with their scheduling activities.
      It seems as if our model is too big for the application, so I
      couldn't really solve anything yet. If the model is not too big, it
      could have to do with the constraints and variables, or with the
      division/overlap of the preferences of all individuals. Anyhow, it
      would be nice if one would get an overview of all possible conflicts,
      but the solver tries to come up with the perfect solution. If that
      can not be found the application simply states that it could not find
      a solution... Since all variables are related it is a very complex
      problem, I imagine).

      Although I closely followed the (small scale) example as offered on
      http://www.solver.com/solutions/schoffices.htm I'm stuck.

      I tried to solve a situation where we have about 125 individuals,
      that need to be located at 40-50 available cities (all with a fixed
      amount of available spaces - city1 could host two individuals, city2
      has room for three, etc). I asked too much...

      Well, if anyone would happen to know how to solve this, I'd be
      interested to hear from you (list or private).

      Regards,

      Hugo