RE: [NTO] Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2004
      Hi Brian,

      >[Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
      >your ISP dial-up connection.

      [Larry Thomas] I have set my connection to "Always Dial my Default
      Connection".

      >The error message was:
      >
      >Iexplore
      >
      >This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
      >
      >If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
      >
      >[Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
      >operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...
      >
      >Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
      >you hit OK or Apply?

      [Larry Thomas} I hit ok and then when I launch Eudora afterward, I get the
      error message.

      >You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
      >the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
      >ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.
      >
      >Then try the setting and see what happens.
      >
      >This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
      >Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
      >Stupid, huh?

      [Larry Thomas] I followed the directions and performed the Add/Remove
      Programs operation and selected the "Repair" option for Microsoft Internet
      Explorer and then I rebooted the system to make the repairs take effect. I
      still get the error. Sorry e¿ê

      I do not know if it will help but I have a laptop IBM Thinkpad with the
      same os on it. It has a modem but I have never really used this computer
      much. I am going to charge the battery up and see if I can get it going.
      If I can and I can copy my Eudora and Mozilla programs to it, I might be
      able to get it to work. If I get it to work the way it should, then I can
      check out the settings on it and compare them to my desktop machine to see
      what the differences are and see if I can get my desktop machine to working
      again by changing the settings to match those on my laptop. Who knows. I
      might also look at some registry settings for both machines that are
      specific to the DUNS connection.

      Please let me know (anybody out there, not just Brian) if you think of
      anything else.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2004
        Hey Larry,

        Arg! There's a few things here that could really be helpful to you. I
        don't know if you've tried deleting all your dial-up settings and re-adding
        them again, but that can help in some instances. Here's one from MS that
        I've used when I was ready to bring out the bat...

        I would first try (for the heck of it) to create a new name for the DUN
        service and set IT to be the default dialer in IE. Just make one called
        'ISP' or something and have it set to be the default. Then try getting out
        as usual. No good? Remove the original DUN connection. Still no good?
        Try the link below. Unfortunately, it's long and tedious; but it's worth a
        shot.

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:
        80/support/kb/articles/q181/5/99.asp&NoWebContent=1