RE: [NTO] Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
      I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
      problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
      up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
      dial a connection" which was selected.

      [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
      connection...

      There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
      whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
      default connection". I received the same error message below for
      both:

      [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
      your ISP dial-up connection.

      The error message was:

      Iexplore

      This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

      If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

      [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
      operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

      Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
      you hit OK or Apply?

      You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
      the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
      ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

      Then try the setting and see what happens.

      This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
      Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
      Stupid, huh?

      Brian
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
        Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
        Ed