RE: [NTO] Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
      FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
      Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
      updates, it's no big deal.

      Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

      I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
      it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
        I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
        problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
        up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
        dial a connection" which was selected.

        [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
        connection...

        There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
        whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
        default connection". I received the same error message below for
        both:

        [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
        your ISP dial-up connection.

        The error message was:

        Iexplore

        This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

        If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

        [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
        operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

        Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
        you hit OK or Apply?

        You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
        the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
        ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

        Then try the setting and see what happens.

        This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
        Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
        Stupid, huh?

        Brian
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
          Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
          Ed